cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beach boondocking on the mid-east coast

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
Labor Day weekend plans have been cancelled and I am itching to see the ocean. I'm in SWVA on the TN border, so Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina beaches are options. Pretty sute campgrounds will be full, but the reason I bought my new to me class B was so I could go without reservations. I'm not picky about where I sleep. I know parking lots aren't "boondocking" but for trips like this I'm fine with them. I just want to spend a day or two with my butt in the sand and my feet in the ocean.

Any suggestions? I hear the Outer Banks isn't necessarily friendly for overnight parking.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle
9 REPLIES 9

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Assateague state campground on the Maryland side. I just spent three days there this past weekend. Literally a 30 second walk from sites to the ocean.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a bit of a drive but Assateague National Seashore CG is nice. Beachside & bayside loops. Wild horses roaming around. Don't leave any food out.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
On Recreation.gov the NPS Frisco campground is showing 47 sites available for Friday through Tuesday @ $28/night. Reservations are non site specific but, with a third of them open, you should be able to get a pretty decent one.

Be sure to get over to Ocracoke on the free ferry

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Outer Banks may be your best bet. There are 4 National Park Campgrounds. Most are first come first serve. Since it's Labor Day Weekend, kids are back in school so there won't be as many people camping. Get there as early as you can. We prefer the National Park's Frisco Campground. There's also Cape point, Oregon Inlet and Oracoke.

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
Overnighting in a parking lot is kind of perfect. I'm into the vagabond lifestyle and as a teacher, I don't have a lot of money for expensive campsites. Sometimes they're great, but not this trip. More of a wandering adventure is what I'm hoping for.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind over-nighting in a parking lot, the Oregon Inlet Boat Ramp may be just what you are looking for. We over-nighted there a few years back with no problems. The Oregon Inlet Campground is right next door.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Although expensive, Cape Hatteras KOA and Camp Hatteras on the Outer Banks of NC are both currently showing openings for Labor Day weekend.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, you stand a good chance of catching a cancellation at on of the campgrounds. I suggest you call a few in the area and see if there are. You may be able to get on a callback list as well. People's plans change, rigs breakdown etc.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox