cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Smoky Mountain Campground

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in going to the Smoky Mountains in eastern Tennessee or western North Carolina. I am looking for opinions on the best campground for scenic views, mountain streams, water falls, and high elevation. I am not looking for attractions like Pigeon Forge, just wanting a great mountain getaway.
13 REPLIES 13

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Mountainer.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think we will try Townsend. I need hookups this time. What is your favorite campground in the Townsend area?

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed a week at Creekwood Farms in Maggie Valley last May and loved the park. I got one of the Creekside sites and it was great. Short ride to higher elevation, great WiFi and it has cable included. Nice place and going back next year.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from Pigeon Forge, unless you like 'camping' in Las vegas or Branson.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We just visited that area for a quick overnight tour and can't wait to go back. Glad to see this topic and some good ideas.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Three weeks ago we stayed at Creekside in Piegon Forge and it was very nice.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like Elkmount for the river that runs trough it. Cades cove for the animals and old buildings. If you plan on a two week vacation stay at Elkmount for a week then Cades cove, the dump station is on the way to Cades cove.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
The Asheville West KOA was quite good. It is a mom and pop operation (no other staff as near as I can tell) and is quite small. But it sits on the side of a mountain and has quite a view. It is also located between Asheville and Smokey Mountain National Park, it is just off I40 and a short drive to the Blueridge Pkwy (btw if you stay in that area take #151 (just east of the KOA) to get to the Blueridge just not with the trailer hooked up), it is quite a scenic, twisty drive up the side of a mountain to get to the Blueridge.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Wester NC near Ashville is mountain top CG...Campfire Lodgings...overlooks the valley...small CG but big full hook up sites. Also, near Black Mountain, just off I-40 is Mama Gerties with 3 levels of full hook up camping...the top level has decks off the side of the mountains and are part of the site...beautiful view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what you want and like. You can find some great spots back in the hills or nice places out in town. Great tool to see them all here: East side Smokies
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either Mile High (a commercial campground, I believe on the Cherokee reservation) or Balsam Mountain (in GRSM) are the highest in the area. No hookups of any kind at Balsam, and the sites are not overly big. But some friends of mine camp with a 28' TT in site 3, and there are some other larger sites too.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadtech wrote:
I am interested in going to the Smoky Mountains in eastern Tennessee or western North Carolina. I am looking for opinions on the best campground for scenic views, mountain streams, water falls, and high elevation. I am not looking for attractions like Pigeon Forge, just wanting a great mountain getaway.

What kind of hookups are you needing? If you can get by without electricity Elkmont meets many of your criteria.
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/elkmont-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId...

Mile High Campground in NC is another option
http://www.hikingthecarolinas.com/mile_high_information.php
http://www.hikingthecarolinas.com/camping.php

Full Hook Ups are available at Grandfather Campground near Grandfather Mountain
http://www.grandfatherrv.com/home/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Mountaineer Campground in Townsend, TN
Creekwood Farms near Maggie Valley, NC (right off I-40)
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance