cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondock towing

Minnie80525
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 20' camper using a Fastway e2 WD/anti-sway hitch. I've had so much trouble with it in tight turns on steep terrain that I'm looking for a better solution.

Because this isn't a long or heavy trailer, I am considering the Anderson, but I'm open to any good solution that doesn't cause trouble in sketchy maneuvers.

Any thoughts from all you boondockers?
44 REPLIES 44

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It has square bars, a 1/2 inch thick "L" shape pin holds the front in but the rear is not positively anchored
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never needed a bow saw when off road with my TT but I guess some have.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Is it a hand jack? Carry pieces of wood to take up the slack. Jack up the trailer enough to loosen the bars and just push them sideways.

Not on a Fastaway unless you want to loose the bars. I think you are thinking about a different brand of WDH
They look similar to the husky. Little pin holds the bar in? Round bar wears over time and you get enough slop for the entire bar to fall out? My friend has a husky WD hitch. Piece of junk.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
So I would greatly appreciate it if someone could school me on where, when, and why you would want to do this? Then, perhaps after this education, I will become braver (or "more foolish") at dragging my trailer through even rougher terrain
Too much bendy on the metal bars. Leaving them attached is somewhat foolish if youre driving slow over rough terrain. Kinda depends. Think of a jeep with the sway bars attached.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting discussion. We do extensive boondocking in some pretty rough and remote country. Depending on the trip and season, I bring; sand boards, snow chains, tow strap, shovels (snow and dirt), bow saw, and a lopper....and have used them all multiple times. But, to date, I have yet to have felt the need to remove (or, in our case, reduce the tension of) the sway bars. (lower tire pressure....for which I also carry a small compressor.... yes, but not the sway bars) So I would greatly appreciate it if someone could school me on where, when, and why you would want to do this? Then, perhaps after this education, I will become braver (or "more foolish") at dragging my trailer through even rougher terrain (good Lord, not sure how I could do that without destroying everything, but I am open to learning). Oh yea, I also carry an InReach so I always have comms...also great for getting weather reports when one is way, way, off the road in S. Utah (heavy rain sucks there) or waiting out a snow storm in the mountains of Montana.

To the OP. Perhaps more than you need (or want), but we use the Hensley Hitch. No fuss, no mess....and, as you can see from my above query, it must just work.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it a hand jack? Carry pieces of wood to take up the slack. Jack up the trailer enough to loosen the bars and just push them sideways.

Not on a Fastaway unless you want to loose the bars. I think you are thinking about a different brand of WDH
Superbumper

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Minnie80525 wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Do you need the anti sway/wd bars for back roads towing? Why not take them off?

I could do that, sure. It's a pain, though, not only having to stop and jack-up the hitch, but also to stow the greasy bars. Every obvious option is already occupied.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something like this mounted to the a-frame should do the trick:

I have my doubts about that, the fastaway bars, at least on our hitch are rectangular and heavy. Maybe 8 or 10 pounds. Your welding shop idea is workable but I don't get the problem with dropping them in the bed of the truck. If his are coated with grease then he is doing something wrong. Fastaway recommend lube only at the contact points. The ends of the bar. Carry a rag or two and wipe it off.

Fastaway e2
Superbumper

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Minnie80525 wrote:

I could do that, sure. It's a pain, though, not only having to stop and jack-up the hitch, but also to stow the greasy bars. Every obvious option is already occupied.

Some WDH are better than others about large articulations but none are intended for off road use. They are specifically designed to resist large amounts of articulation at the hitch.

Taking the bars off should only take a few minutes. If you are worried about where to put them, go down to a welding shop and ask them to make up a bracket to hold them on the a-frame. Should be fairly simple to make something up that will cost far less than a new WDH.

Something like this mounted to the a-frame should do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/Hoffen-Wall-Mounted-Stainless-Holder-Fishing/dp/B06XBZ5DF6/ref=sr_1_42?dchild=1&keywords=Fishing+Pole+Rack+For+Truck&qid=1611520903&sr=8-42
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't the anderson a fiver hitch? And why are your bars greasy, except on the very end? We have a Fastaway and it works fine.
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always remove our sway bar when we go off the pavement -- it allows the trailer greater freedom of movement as we slowly drive through rocks and ruts. But the sway bar is very easy to remove and stow -- I am guessing that a weight distribution hitch would be much more cumbersome.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong purchasing the Andersen hitch if you want to go that route, we took our WD/SC bars off as well when roads were particularly rough and winding, Took just a minute or two with power jack, easy to slip in back of truck or passthrough storage, we only have minimal grease where nubs fit in head.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taking off the sway equipment is just part of going off pavement with a TT IMO. Do you need anti-sway stuff at all? Whatโ€™s your TTโ€™s loaded weight and tongue weight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Minnie80525
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer