cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bucket List for Out West National Parks

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
On a 15 inch snow days here in the KY (doesn't happen often), makes for perfect planning Out West Trips. Here's a question...TOP 5 "Must-SEE" or "Bucket List" Out West Destinations or National Parks to visit. We have an 8 year old boy, so this is the BESTEST time to start our Out-West travels. Can't hit them all in a few yrs, but would love those OMG can't miss National or State Parks. THANKS!!
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***
29 REPLIES 29

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I haven't seen Sequoia mentioned -- when my kids were around 8 years old, they loved the Big Trees. We still do -- show this photo to your 8 year old and see if you get a response -- maybe click the "enlarge" tab at the bottom left:

The tree is the only thing Bigger than the eight year old's EYE's when they see this in person, I always leave out California when people ask about the West - I think I might reconsider!

As usual GREAT PIC,

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Don't pass up some of the most interesting places in Utah. - their state parks. Kodachrome Basin, Dead Horse Point, and Goblin Valley to name a few.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't seen Sequoia mentioned
--------------------------------------------

Yosemite has at least two Sequoia Groves.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't seen Sequoia mentioned -- when my kids were around 8 years old, they loved the Big Trees. We still do -- show this photo to your 8 year old and see if you get a response -- maybe click the "enlarge" tab at the bottom left:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Our national parks are getting loved to death.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't remember if the Goosenecks have been mentioned yet but I was more impressed there than at the grand canyon. but limiting this to only national parks is sort of silly, JMHO
bumpy

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
My top 5: Olympic NP'S coast and rainforest, Mesa Verde NP, Canyonlands NP, Yellowstone NP and Rocky Mountain NP. No matter which you choose you will probably not be disappointed.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Stout Grove at Jedediah Smith State Park, California

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Utah, our national parks are best enjoyed getting deep off the beaten path (i.e. hiking several miles a day). If you don't have a few days to hike back in there, then you may be left underwhelmed.

My all-time favorite place on the west coast is the Redwoods in Northern California. Magical place. I can never get enough.

Yosemite comes in a close second for me. That place is magical as well.
follow our travels at:
http://themoreweexplore.com

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
My list from my memories as a kid. I was lucky that even though we had limited funds, my parents bought a Sears tent and sleeping bags and we car camped all over the west.

1. Yellowstone. While we saw lots of geysers, I specifically remember watching Riverside Geyser erupt. We also saw lots of bears, including some in the campground several nights we were there. That doesn't happen much anymore. Anyway, Yellowstone was the worlds first National Park for a reason. With geysers, a spectacular canyon with amazing waterfalls, wildflowers, and pristine lakes including Fishing Bridge where one can look down at great numbers of cutthroat trout, Yellowstone has a bit of everything. While you're in the area, Grand Teton is also great for kids. I remember taking the boat across the lake and hiking up closer to the Tetons. Wildlife abounds here, too.

2. Mesa Verde NP. I remember climbing around the ruins and looking at the displays in the museum. Even at that young age, it gave me an appreciation of other peoples and how their customs and history was different from mine. While in the area, take the Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. I remember my first trip aboard that train. A real steam engine! And Silverton was and still is a real honest to goodness western mining town with wooden sidewalks. A little more touristy now, but still a memorable trip for kids and adults alike.

3. Arches NP. Since I first camped here in the late 60's, I've been back many, many times. Devil's Garden CG is one of the two most kid-friendly CG's in the NPS system. If one can do w/o hookups, one can park and play for several days without ever getting back in the car. Rocks to play on, arches to climb through, sand dunes to slide on, and deer in the CG make this one fun CG. And I like the canyon views from the nearby Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands NP better than those of the Grand Canyon.

4. Zion NP. I first hiked the Zion Narrows in Boy Scouts in the 60's when we didn't encounter anyone until the last couple of miles. Now, it's a favorite for many and still a great hike (just watch the weather to avoid rain). So many other great hikes in the canyon make this a fun place to explore. Camp at Watchman CG in the park. Some electric hookups. But the real catch is the Virgin "River" which flows beside the CG. Kids (and adults too) build little dams in this usually slow flowing stream and splash, wade, or sit in the water to cool off under the Cottonwood trees. For kids, this is one of those CG's that is as memorable as the rest of the park.

5. Since you just said Out West National Parks, I'm going to throw a curve at you and recommend Banff, Jasper, Yoho, and Kootenay NPs grouped together on the border of Alberta and British Columbia in Canada. Absolutely no family camping trip of my youth stands out in my mind as much as our trip to those parks. My little photo album from that trip is filled with many waterfall pictures, but there are also some of Lake Louise, Moraine Lake (even prettier than Lake Louise IMHO), the Columbia Icefield (although it has receded a bit), and wild animals galore. Glacier is pretty, but it's only a taste of what the Canadian parks have to offer. I've been back a couple of times since, and I'm itching to go again. Words can't express how gorgeous these parks are. Plan on three weeks if possible. It's a long ways, so make the most of the drive.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Top 5? Don't think I can limit my list to that, but "must-sees" in my book are:

Yellowstone
Mt. Rushmore
Arches
Crater Lake
Sequoia/Kings Canyon
Theodore Roosevelt
Craters of the Moon
Devil's Tower
Grand Canyon
Pictured Rocks (OK, it's in the Midwest but could be on your way)
Death Valley
Sunset Crater/Wupatki
Painted Desert/Petrified Forest
Pipestone
Great Sand Dunes

The Junior Ranger programs at all the national parks are PERFECT for your 8-year-old. Don't overlook state parks or privately-held attractions like Meteor Crater, Durango & Silverton RR, etc. . Have fun planning!!

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
I would love for someone to post a bucket list for the east coast.

1. Blue Ridge Parkway
2. Florida Keys
3. Great Smoky Mnts.
4. Kennedy Space Center (unsure if National Park...but close)
5. Edisto State Park
6. Natural Bridge State Park/KY
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
352 wrote:

Not as much in the way of spectacular landscapes but:

Everglades
Cape Kennedy Spaceport
Great Smokey Mountains
Blue Ridge Parkway
Natchez Trace
Shenandoah
Cape Hatteras
Mammoth Cave
Acadia
National Mall in DC
Voyagers

are the major parks. I'd add Niagara Falls to that.

There are many Military Parks, but for the most I find them uninspiring and I'm a student of Military History and have visited many of these parks. I haven't been to Gettysburg and people tell me that is different. In the west I surprisingly found Custer's to be interesting, we were passing and I pulled in on a whim.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:

The East Coast is simple - (Top 5)

DC and all the Museums ans Monuments, have probably been a 100 times and am still it just takes my breath away (Everytime).

The Ocean/Beach anywhere/everywhere Top to Bottom - Maine to the Keys.

New York City - if you get out and walk/use the subway - it is as amazing as any National Park, but it will take longer than most Parks as there is just sooooo much to see and do.

The Mountains from Georgia to Canada two of my personal favorites are the Lakes and Falls around Lake Toxaway and Cashiers and the Adirondacks, in upstate NY.

Williamsburg, while extremely commercialized there is nothing else like it - and kids LOVE it.

If you really want a Bucket list of the East Coast then just start your post.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach