Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground close to nyc

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am new to this sight and new first time travel trailer owner. I am looking for a campground close to NYC. After researching I have only come up with 2. Of course I would like full hook ups but water and electric would do. Don't need any frills as trip is entirely to tour NYC. I found a place in NJ that basically sounds like a gravel parking lot for 80.00 a night. I also found a place in Pennsylvania, about an hour from NYC with full hookups for 60.00 a night. Sounds nice but didn't really want to drive an hour into NYC. The NJ one would be ok I guess but is pricey for a parking lot but puts you right across the river. Any ideas or thoughts on these two places or any other? NJ one is called Liberty Harbor RV park and the PA one is called Black Bear Campground.
18 REPLIES 18

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Newburgh KOA is about an hour from the city and there is a train station in Beacon NY a short drive away. The KOA has a bus tour into the city that leaves from the campground.

We stayed at the Newburgh KOA cause I despise NYC driving. We took the tour from the campground. Motor coach to downtown via the tunnel $65 each includes all admissions. Saw times square, went to Battery Park, Liberty Island and statue, ground zero, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:

LH is convenient enough that you don't have to eat your meals in the city, you can eat breakfast, grab a snack and get back to fix dinner in your own "home".

Being in such a magnificent city, why would you wanna eat dinner in your RV?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your military, there NWS Earle N.J. Full hook-ups pet friendly and very secure. A short ride to NYC, relatively speaking.
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

cruzr4-2
Explorer
Explorer
Croten Point is great and right on the Hudson. The train ride was very enjoyable both directions.
enjoy your visit, we did.
2005 F250 Power Stroke Crew Cab
2006 Cruiser CF29RE

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Otter Lake Campground in East Stroudsburg PA is open year round. You can take a tour bus from eburg to NYC any day of the week. NJ is a 78 mile trek across.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
When I go to NYC, I stay at Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City, NJ. Right across from Manhattan You can get there on the commuter ferry (during the workweek only) or walk up Marin Blvd and catch the PATH train over to the MTA hub at 34th St. From there you transfer to the C train on the blue line and then transfer to the D train on the orange line and that takes you out to Yankee Stadium.

RV Park is about right. Its a place you park your RV on a patch of asphalt that has been fenced off from the huge commuter parking lot. It has water and eclectic hookups, a dump station and shower rooms that are shared by the boat owners in the marina.

There are some decent restaurants and bars in Jersey City in the "nice section". There is a supermarket right up the street. The ferry for the Statue and Elis Island is about a 10 minute drive away.

website
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Newburgh KOA is about an hour from the city and there is a train station in Beacon NY a short drive away. The KOA has a bus tour into the city that leaves from the campground.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Croton Point Park. After being in the city for the day (s), it was nice to take the train back to the station (Croton-Harmon from Grand Central) relax and then go back to a real campground with full hookups. Liberty is okay and is easy but you are in a parking lot with everyone five feet away. The fee for 10 trips from Croton-Harmon to Grand Central (five round trips) is 83.00 or 65 for seniors OFF PEAK. The fee for the campground is 50 per night. So if you were to stay six nights and visit the city for five days and you are not a senior it would be about 470 for campground and train tickets. If you stay at Liberty for six nights it is 480.00 plus the fee for the PATH which is probably about 3 bucks each way. Cost is going to be about the same it depends upon where you want to stay.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
You can also book a day long sightseeing trip of nyc right at lh and they p/u and return you.

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Tough decision!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
It takes 15 minutes or less into the city and so Liberty Harbor is convenient. It costs $2.50 to get into the city from Liberty Harbor and $2.50 to get back there on the PATH. The PATH will take you to either the World Trade Center or Times Square (33rd St).

LH is convenient enough that you don't have to eat your meals in the city, you can eat breakfast, grab a snack and get back to fix dinner in your own "home".
Also, the views from Liberty Harbor are just magnificent with the Statue of Liberty within view, as well as the skyline.

When making your decision, you need to weigh the costs of transportation and convenience with the expense of the campsite. If you don't mind spending an hour to hour and a half commuting each way, then by all means, save the costs associated with the campground. Also weigh in the costs associated with the commuting. I just figure my time is worth much more than that, especially if I have been walking around the city all day.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Don't let the above photos deceive you. There were all types of RV's at Liberty harbour. 40' DP's to pop ups and everything in between
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy & Nana wrote:
Google Black Bear Campground - they are located in Florida NY and have bus service into the city.

+1 on Black Bear Campground. Nice place and nice staff. It's not close, but there is bus and train service to NYC.

Liberty Harbor is just a parking lot with hookups, but you don't go to NYC for camping. Book it long in advance. Check out the reviews.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Liberty Harbor is fine if you want to tour the city . You can take Ferry into wall street area directly from park. Or there is a train about 8 blocks away.
I stayed there before no problems. As far as price, this is NYC we are talking about. $80.00 is actually a bargain for NYC.
Yes it is basically a parking lot with W/E and a dump station. It is safe and has a decent bathroom. If you are looking to tour the city and use your RV as a hotel Liberty is perfect. Liberty is a 20 minute ferry ride to city. You can see statue of liberty from the CG.
I have also stayed at Croton Point Park.
More of a traditional camping atmosphere. It is a Westchester county park about a hour train ride to grand central station. Train station is located right outside the park. Croton Point is located right on the Hudson River. I have done both places and would return to both.

Croton point park

Liberty Harbour

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637