cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Fees: 50 amp service $1 per day?

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a fee schedule for a local private campground. It lists the daily and weekly rates for their different sites which all seem to include 20/30 amp electric then under ADDITIONAL FEES it says 50 amp service $1 per day.

Does the 20/30 amp electric mean that it's 50 amp but instead they charge that extra $1 if you have a 50 amp rig?

*This CG is about 10 miles from our house and I'm thinking of taking the Allegro Bus out there after I get it dewinterized for the first time so we can practice for our California trip next year. I really want a place that has 50 amp service so we can try everything out. Most of the state or county CGs near us are only 30 amp.

ETA: I have all the adapters that I think I need to go from 50 to 30 down to 110 as I have it plugged into the house here at home.
Thanks, Kay
35 REPLIES 35

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
DaveG39 wrote:
What's wrong with picking up the phone and talking to them?

It's more fun to read four pages of different opinions.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
woodgeezer wrote:
I don't really mean to be a jerk, but isn't this a little silly? You are driving a rig costing over $100,000 and you are quibbling over a buck a day. I'll bet you argue with McDonalds when they give you one packet of sugar with your coffee.

The OP has stated several times that he is NOT concerned with the extra $1.00 charge for 50 AMP. He has said repeatedly that he thinks it is a very reasonable price!

Sandi (Moderator)
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really mean to be a jerk, but isn't this a little silly? You are driving a rig costing over $100,000 and you are quibbling over a buck a day. I'll bet you argue with McDonalds when they give you one packet of sugar with your coffee.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
it is a costly task to cable, upgrade pedestals and service to privide 50a /240 v power. Then consider, like pianotuna posted, that a 50a plug is capable of delivering over 3 times the power of a 30a/120 plug.

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
D & M wrote:
dayakster wrote:

ETA: I have all the adapters that I think I need to go from 50 to 30 down to 110 as I have it plugged into the house here at home.

FYI it's all 110 volts. I believe you meant down to 20 or 15 amps.
What!! Didn't a previous poster state that 50AMP was 220?:B

Yea, I meant down to a household plug.
Thanks, Kay

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
Thousand Trails charge $5.00 extra a day

That's understandable! If you're going to go to the trouble and expense to upgrade a few sites shouldn't you make a little money on them?
Thanks, Kay

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thousand Trails charge $5.00 extra a day
samsontdog:o:W

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
jules6 wrote:
So here is my take on this. The pedestal has 50, 30 15 amp service in it, when you check in they will ask you if you need fifty or thirty amp service. You tell them what you want and if you say fifty amp then they will charge you for fifty amp, and if you say thirty amp then they won't charge you the extra $1,00. Now if you say thirty and then plug into the fifty amp outlet and they come around and check don't be surprised if they ask you to leave with no refund.
That be how a local KOA handles it. You plug into the 50AMP circuit after saying that you only want 30AMP you get a polite invitation to leave...lol
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
dayakster wrote:

What!! Didn't a previous poster state that 50AMP was 220?:B
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
dayakster wrote:

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We own 2 lots we rent out. We have seen electric bills as high as $130 for a given month. $1 a day is a real bargain.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Considering that a 50 amp service can use up to 12000 watts and a 30 can use no more then 3600 a dollar a day is a bargain.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
dayakster wrote:
I just called them. They have about 10 50amp sites and they charge a dollar a day extra. Simple as that. I guess I better reserve! It seems silly to only charge $1 but I'll not complain.

I am always willing to help.......so,tell you what....

I will E-mail you my Paypal address,and you can send me,oh,lets say $5.00 a day,extra.....Dont want you to feel......You arent paying enough....L.O.L......:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I've never been to a private CG. When I was a kid in California we stayed in the federal parks mostly or way up in the wilderness on our own when Dad contracted out to the forestry service with his heavy equipment so I'm used to either complete conformity or nothing at all. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thanks, Kay