cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds Near DC Metro

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to spend a couple of days visiting Washington, D.C. on our way home from Florida. What is a good campground near a Metro station?
Cardinal 33TSLE
22 REPLIES 22

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley is right. Cherry Hill is best if you aren't familiar with the area.

But, there are a few options within 45 minutes or so of metro train stations:
http://learntorv.com/washington-dc-campground-round-up/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you are from out of state with no knowledge of the area Cherry Hill is your best bet. There are a few other more economical options, but they will require more familiarity with the area and effort on your part.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cherry Hill gets the most recommendations however if you don't want to pay the Cherry Hill price & want more space along with quiet, as quiet as it gets in an urban area, then the Fairfax county park is the one to use.

Been there a few times. Many sites can accommodate any length RV. The park itself is huge & not bordering any major highway.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

We have stayed at Cherry Hill Park a few times to visit DC... The Metro (Green Belt Station) used to have FREE parking on weekends, and was a short ride from the park..

The folks at the front office have a ton of knowledge about the area, and tours offered..

The Metro is clean and safe ( never been on it at night? ) and is a great way to get around..

The office also offers a few different guided tours, we took the night time DC tour and loved it... The tour buss picks you up right inside the campground.

Cherry Hill is a bit pricey, but they do offer a lot of amenities to make your touring easier.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good report on Cherry Hill and Washington D.C. 'how to'.

https://wheelingit.us/2017/11/21/in-search-of-fall-colors-washington-dc-virginia/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cherry Hill has a bus direct to the metro station several times a day. They have a well organized system, including selling metro passes, designed to get you to DC. And it is a gated RV CG which that close to the number one murder city in the US is not to be ignored. They are expensive and the other two sites are I suspect cheaper.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The three that I'm aware of are these:

Cherry Hill--full-service RV park, gets very good reviews. I think the Greenbelt station is the closest, and I understand there's bus or shuttle service to the campground.

Greenbelt National Park--I stayed here for a week when being a Washington, DC tourist and it worked out very well. There are no hookups, but there are shade trees and shower houses and fire rings and picnic tables and very affordable rates.

Lake Fairfax Park (Fairfax County)--has hookups available, not too far from the Wiehle-Reston East station, and intermediate in price between Greenbelt and Cherry Hill.

All three are perhaps a 45 minute walk from the respective Metro station, depending of course on how fast you walk and which camp site you get and so forth (i.e. somewhere in the general vicinity of a couple miles).

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Most would say Cherry Hill. But we stayed at Aquia Pines.That was a number of years ago. They had a shuttle that would take you into DC and pick you up.