cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping at COE Campgrounds need reservation?

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I had read somewhere that you must make reservations for COE camping and that you can no longer drive in and get an available site. It had something to do with the gate attendants. Anyone know if this is true?
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
11 REPLIES 11

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
It just makes sense to make a reservation for a COE park since they do not charge a fee to reserve, only if you cancel. All of the good parks in Texas book up early for the year and I'm going to sit down this weekend and start making reservations for next year, hoping I'm not too late.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Im going to go out on a limb here, but it seems like last year I researched some C.O.E. in Iowa, Illinois and WI. as well as some in Missouri and it seemed like they had walk ins and reserved sites.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Recreation.gov is your friend for COE reservations.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
The one we stay in CT works on reservations, can't speak for the other ones. though I believe they take walk ins too

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Call the campground u r interested in,,, best to get the info straight from them...

Good luck,,,have fun
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Never heard it. But drive up and say you want to make a reservation for that day. Was this something brand new? Because we just camped in a COE campground several months ago. Although we did make reservations, I believe i saw gate attendant assigning a campsite to someone who drove in while I was up there complaining about the trash in our fire pit.

"Walk in" sites are very common in COE, State, and even private campgrounds. All except the smallest state parks in Florida have a least a few. It is not new. Been around for a very long time.

Last year at a very popular COE a couple walked up, got the last campsite in the entire park and then complained that it was in the sun. They were asked:"Do you make reservations?" They said: "No. We never make reservations." Then why did they have the gall to complain? Arrive at the last minute, you get what is available.

I agree and why we always make reservations. I'm not going to drive something for hours at a time and many miles at 8mpg in "hopes" of getting a site. And hopefully a site we can fit on. We normally camp in popular places and at popular times. We are like most others out there that go for certain reasons and a deadline we have to reach.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
It depends upon the CG and how popular the CG is.

Some such as those around Lake Texoma have 100% of the sites reservable - so on Memorial Day or the 4th of July - your CG choice might be 'full' due to reservations.

Many, such as around Lake Ouachita, have at least 50% as walk-in sites. Some of the best ones.

Also, the Corps is heading toward the contracting out of campground operations to commercial companies - which will lead to a decline in the number of walk-in sites.

I've made reservations for this coming Memorial Day - and could not get the site I wanted because it was already booked. I made mine at 6AM on the first day that window came open.

But I don't make reservations most of the time for COE. I do look at the CG on recreation.gov before heading to the lake. If it looks on recreation.gov that the CG is heavily booked - I will call and ask the gate attendant for a 'reservation for today'.

Another tactic I use - I normally arrive between Sunday afternoon and Thursday noon. (or Monday if it is a holiday weekend).

I try to never arrive on Friday or Saturday unless I have made a reservation.

Now when I do make a reservation and I have not been to the CG, I try to arrive one or two hours after the gate attendant goes on duty - and ask if I can make a drive by to see if there is a better site than the one I have reserved. Looking for things like slide out room, satellite TV antenna access through the trees, etc.

Most of the time the attendant says sure and will tell me which sites are open through my intended stay. Sometimes not.

It is a bit of work for them to change my reservation to a different site, and some don't like to do that, and sometimes they are so busy I don't impose.

Another time is when we make a long trip. We are heading from Lake Texoma to Glastonbury, CT in early June. I have a one night reservation at Toad Suck Ferry (AR), four nights at Seven Points on J. Percy Priest (TN), one night at Little Carr (KY), two nights at Bulltown Camp (WV), two nights at Ives Run (PA) and two weeks at West Thompson (CT).

That way I have the two weeks booked to for the wife and I to visit her brother, and we get there on time for some planned celebrations.

Making reservations that way tends to make it easier for me to drive, and not 'over drive' and COE is almost always cheaper than Passport America.

Have not made, nor don't plan to make any reservations for the return trip.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Never heard it. But drive up and say you want to make a reservation for that day. Was this something brand new? Because we just camped in a COE campground several months ago. Although we did make reservations, I believe i saw gate attendant assigning a campsite to someone who drove in while I was up there complaining about the trash in our fire pit.

"Walk in" sites are very common in COE, State, and even private campgrounds. All except the smallest state parks in Florida have a least a few. It is not new. Been around for a very long time.

Last year at a very popular COE a couple walked up, got the last campsite in the entire park and then complained that it was in the sun. They were asked:"Do you make reservations?" They said: "No. We never make reservations." Then why did they have the gall to complain? Arrive at the last minute, you get what is available.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
All the COE campgrounds we visit have quite a few first come, first served sites. Depending on the popularity of the park some of those sites can be hard to get.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
I had read somewhere that you must make reservations for COE camping and that you can no longer drive in and get an available site. It had something to do with the gate attendants. Anyone know if this is true?

Most COE campgrounds keep a few "walk-in sites available. Each COE district sets it's own policy regarding the campgrounds so results may vary.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006