cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a truck camper for your migration? Im going to leave 5th down south and use truck & Camper to go back and forth to Ak
2014 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700
11 REPLIES 11

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
AKsnowcampers wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
AKsnowcampers wrote:
...This year we took our truck camper & pulled our car behind this seemed to be the winning combination, but we are still trying to learn whats best ๐Ÿ™‚

You know, I still have my tow car and all the goodies for it from my Class A. Your setup never even occurred to me until you said it.

My big hesitation was I didn't want a 3/4 - 1 ton truck as my daily driver all winter.

Thanks for the idea.

We enjoy having our VW Jetta with us & it pulls very easy
behind Camper ๐Ÿ™‚

We pull a chev van (Flatliner) but it is spendy $$$$ on fuel. After our furry friend goes, we will try motels again.

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
AKsnowcampers wrote:
...This year we took our truck camper & pulled our car behind this seemed to be the winning combination, but we are still trying to learn whats best ๐Ÿ™‚

You know, I still have my tow car and all the goodies for it from my Class A. Your setup never even occurred to me until you said it.

My big hesitation was I didn't want a 3/4 - 1 ton truck as my daily driver all winter.

Thanks for the idea.

We enjoy having our VW Jetta with us & it pulls very easy
behind Camper ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
AKsnowcampers wrote:

Thanks for the idea.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
AKsnowcampers wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Gruffy wrote:
...snip...We do travel back and forth in the camper, but fuel bill is excessive. I see a small car and motels in the future.

We did that for the first time this fall, just to see how we liked it. IMO you give up a lot of freedom.

The best part of snowbirding for us was the trip down and back. Now with hotels the feeling is to minimize the number of nights on the road. Might just as well own a condo in a destination area, with a spare car, and then fly down and back.

Truck camper for us would be a little too tight, thinking a small 5'er or even a TT would work for this point in our lives.

I retired in 2011 and have traveled back and forth 4-ways since.
we tried flying but with Fur kid and having to make arrangements for pick up or car rental or car storage close to Airport it was not cheaper or easier. We tried driving and hotels but if you travel with a dog you don't get the best of rooms, hotel & restaurants get spendy.
We pulled the 5th wheel it was the most costly but with great comfort.
This year we took our truck camper & pulled our car behind this seemed to be the winning combination, but we are still trying to learn whats best ๐Ÿ™‚
I have a seasonal site that I leave the large RV on. I own a small TH I will use to travel and boondock with. I travel with 3 Collies so motels don't work.

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Gruffy wrote:
...snip...We do travel back and forth in the camper, but fuel bill is excessive. I see a small car and motels in the future.

We did that for the first time this fall, just to see how we liked it. IMO you give up a lot of freedom.

The best part of snowbirding for us was the trip down and back. Now with hotels the feeling is to minimize the number of nights on the road. Might just as well own a condo in a destination area, with a spare car, and then fly down and back.

Truck camper for us would be a little too tight, thinking a small 5'er or even a TT would work for this point in our lives.

I retired in 2011 and have traveled back and forth 4-ways since.
we tried flying but with Fur kid and having to make arrangements for pick up or car rental or car storage close to Airport it was not cheaper or easier. We tried driving and hotels but if you travel with a dog you don't get the best of rooms, hotel & restaurants get spendy.
We pulled the 5th wheel it was the most costly but with great comfort.
This year we took our truck camper & pulled our car behind this seemed to be the winning combination, but we are still trying to learn whats best ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Gruffy wrote:

Truck camper for us would be a little too tight, thinking a small 5'ver or even a TT would work for this point in our lives.

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Towed for a few years and finally parked the 5er and loaded up a truck camper. It immediately became a huge hassle as my RV park did not allow 2 campers on a lot and their storage was full. Had to find an off site location to store it. Finaly dumped the RV park and bought a lot. Now the camper is stored out back and my $3500 a year park rent is a $400 tax bill.

We do travel back and forth in the camper, but fuel bill is excessive. I see a small car and motels in the future.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I predict that you will find three times the places to check out when not towing a trailer. I have passed up a lot of unique stops because I had a trailer behind me. I also know that a single vehicle is less tiresome to drive than a combination of two or more.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
AKsnowcampers wrote:
Anyone use a truck camper for your migration? Im going to leave 5th down south and use truck & Camper to go back and forth to Ak

Many do exactly that. Not to generalized, but most are Canadian. I assume it's because they have the greatest distance to drive, plus they are exploring (taking different routes) on their way down south and back north. They seem to enjoy it, and recommend it when asked.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
AKsnowcampers wrote:

Do you have to move the 5th wheel with the truck when you get South? That is quite a migration! I would just buy a (Southern) car to run around in and fly back and forth if the 5er stays setup!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I am going to do from now on, as towing in traffic is not as much fun as it used to be. Only difference is that I will leave my travel trailer in Texas where my RV park offers free summer storage.