Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping near Lancaster PA

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
We're looking for a campground near Lancaser. We don't need anything fancy, just clean and quiet. We're not traveling with kids, so playgrounds etc aren't important. We prefer full hookups (W/E/S). We're traveling from NJ just off I-78 so campgrounds east and north are better.

Also, any suggestions on attractions? We've been to Valley Forge and Gettysburg several times, so we'll pass on those this trip

Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we went to country haven this weekend. The location and views were top notch. Before going, I read a lot of reviews stating the campground views and location were good, but the rules and owners were so-so. I would tend to agree. Checking in we were given a sheet of paper to sign with all the rules I think in 8 point font. If you can get past the rules, every other toilet and sink being turned off in both the men's and women's room, wifi only from 9 am til 9 pm, etc, this place was ok. We don't travel with a pet or kids so half the rules went away immediately. It is a very quiet picturesque campground with very nice Amish neighbors.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
At Country Acres we could hear the loud traffic on Route 30, and we were on a site up against a fence with a commercial truck garage right on the other side. If we ever went again we would get a site further back, although we didn't have a choice when we went.

Spring Gulch is a huge place. It is expensive because they have a lot of activities for kids and adults (which we never attend). Our last trip there was unfortunate. Even though it was off peak season and there were very few people in the CG, the people two sites over decided to party like they were in the infield of a NASCAR race track. They got completely blitzed, blasted music and sang and screamed until 3 am. We did not want to confront them because they were so drunk. Even when it started raining they stayed outside and never quieted down.

We went to Country Haven last fall and didn't get a site right on the ridge, but off to the side. We still had a partial view of the valley so it was nice. I'm actually debating going there this weekend, but I know I won't be able to get a prime viewing site.

We haven't been to Old Mill Stream since the kids were little and we did Dutch Wonderland. It can get kind of noisy with an active amusement park right next door. The last few times I checked for available sites the place was full.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Explorer
Explorer
We travel to Lancaster several times a year. We stay at Old Mill Stream Campground. The people running it are friendly and accommodating. The campground and facilities are very clean. Despite its being next to an amusement park geared toward small children and all off Rt. 30 it is quiet. The campground backs onto a stream with a farm on the other side of the water. In the morning there are cows in the farm field (and sometimes also in the stream). You are local to everything Lancaster staying there. They did raise their prices a year ago and it is now one of the more expensive campgrounds in the area.

All campgrounds here fill for holiday weekends and reservations have to be made a year in advance for a holiday weekend. Season in Lancaster is from April through December and reservations are required for most of that.

If you are in Lancaster on a Friday go to Green Dragon Farmer's Market in Ephrata - on a Tuesday, go to Root's Farmer's Market in Manheim (not as large as Green Dragon). Have dinner at Shady Maple Smorgasbord in East Earl. Drive the back roads through the farm fields and see the Amish. I have been visiting here for more than 50 years. It has become very commercial over the years. If you know where and when to go you can avoid the tourists and get close to the locals. Some of the commercial is fun too.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at the Old Mill campground. It is part of the Dutch Wonderland amusement park. Was much less noisy than I anticipated. Sites are average size. Staff friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay there again.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Originally I tried not to like Country Acres. I thought it was to close to the road and too close to the action. Not peaceful enough.
But after checking out and staying at some of the other places. Country Acres has become my preferred place in Lancaster.
Access road is decent. Big Rig Access to sites is good. There are even pull thru sites.
For the most part site placement has been thought out to allow easy access.
Place is well managed without being over managed.
While seemingly close to the road the place is quiet. Overall the CG is very peaceful and relaxing....Back to the well managed part.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently at Beacon Hill. The spots are pretty tight for our 33' fiver. The access isn't the best because the road does not loop around inside the campground. These is one skinny road in and out.

We took a drive to Country Acres and wow, what a difference!!! The spaces are huge and spread out and access is decent. It is also closer to a highway (but not on it). Nice views.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
When making your Country Haven reservation be sure to ask for the sites that overlook the valley. If you have a motorhome this is an especially nice view out your front window. Enjoy and please be sure to let us know how you enjoyed your visit.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all for your suggestions. We were trying to make reservations for Memorial Day (yeah, I know last minute) and a lot of places are full. We were able to get into Country Haven, and are really looking forward to the first trip of the season. Thanks again and have a wonderful camping season!

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried to reserve four (4) sites in the 1500 section at Spring Gulch for the weekend of June 12th and nothing available in that section. Looks like everyone is anxious to get away from home after the horrendous winter weather.

JimandLaura
Explorer
Explorer
We also like Beacon Hill. It is small, quiet, and adults only (you already said you aren't traveling with kids.) It's across from a farm, and the shops and restaurants are within walking distance for us.

We were just there last weekend and two Amish girls (sisters) came through selling baked goods from their wagon.
2011 Mirada 29DS
Baby the Basset
Molly and Kimba the Maltese
Grizzly the Newfoundland {in spirit}

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bill/Diana wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Thanks all, I definitely appreciate all your suggestions! I'll check them out tonight.

So what is your final decision????

Sadly, I haven't had the chance to look yet (busy week!). But, it is the weekend now, so I'll have more time. I'll let you know!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I am over the whole Amish experience, but still love Sight & Sound Theater and anywhere OUTSIDE of those tourist trap areas.

Last time we travelled that way, we stayed at STARLIGHT CAMPING RESORT

It is roughly half way between Hersey and Sight & Sound. A quick drive, and we watched NOAH, ate with strangers, then drove back to peace and quiet.

Another day...quick drive and I learned all about Miltom Hersey, and got my Master's in Chocolate Tasting.

If you are going to do the WHOLE TOURIST TRAP THINGY....this would not work for you. Might as well stay at Old Mill Stream, or one of the others suggested. That way you can ride the train, see a show, tour on a buggy, etc...

Personally....if you want to se Amish, leave Lancaster. Or better yet, come to Western PA/Eastern Ohio. All kind of Amish in their natural Habitat (that sounds awful, put that way).

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Thanks all, I definitely appreciate all your suggestions! I'll check them out tonight.

So what is your final decision????

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Roamers Retreat is on the noisy side, right off Route 30 - get a site towards the back if you can. Pulling out of the CG on to the highway can be difficult with traffic.

Beacon Hill does not allow anyone below 16 years old. Getting in and out of that area via Route 340 can be a challenge in the prime summer tourist area.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?