cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any "must see" areas in the GreatL Lakes region?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving from Accord, NY to Mackinac Island area this July. I heard Mackinac Island is cool. My rv is 24 ft long and pulling a small car. Any rv parks near the ferry station? I know cars are not allowed on the island. Should I go up the coast and avoid I 75? What about the other lakes? How often does the ferry go back and forth? Any rv parks I should stay in along the water? have 2 dogs that travel with us. Anything helps. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know how much time you have but we recommend Pictured Rock Nat'l Lakeshore to everyone. We think it is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill/Diana wrote:
Well it looks like many folks have taken the time to offer some excellent information. But what has happened to the Original Poster? Not even a thanks?
Read again my post. I did say thanks.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Well it looks like many folks have taken the time to offer some excellent information. But what has happened to the Original Poster? Not even a thanks?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Mill Creek is a zoo--the place is huge yet very cramped, and full at almost all times. Kids everywhere. No fire rings. The state parks at least have decent sized sites and the option of a campfire.

Not so. We were there over the 4th and it wasn't crowded at all. Yes the place is huge, part of the reason it didn't seem crowded. I agree that no fire pit was a concern, but they do give you a small pan to have a fire in, don't know what there thinking is there, but it wasn't an issue.

The sites were normal size for a private campground. The only sites that were cramped were the "bridge view" sites. Otherwise it is a very nice place!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Mill Creek is a zoo--the place is huge yet very cramped, and full at almost all times. Kids everywhere. No fire rings. The state parks at least have decent sized sites and the option of a campfire.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I think one of the "can't miss" areas of MI would be the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. It's been a lot of years since I've been there but it was fabulous especially if you have children traveling with you.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Last July we took a similar trip. Starting in Ohio we headed straight up 75 to Mackinaw City and stayed at Mackinac Mill Creek Campground. Being the day after the fourth when we rolled in the place was packed and the sites are small. I couldn't open my awning but the view of the bridge and lake was worth the cramped site. We then headed down through Petoskey to Traverse City where we stayed at Holiday Park Campground. Visited Sleeping Bear Dunes which was about a 45 min drive from Traverse City. They were also having the Cherry festival which was fun as well. Go visit Rennie Orchards and pick some cherries while you are at it. When we left there we headed south to Ypsilanti and stayed at the Detroit Greenfield RV Park where we stayed a couple days and went to Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford Museum which were really cool.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to view a link to our time spent at Mill Creek Campground and surrounding area. I hope the pictures help give you some idea as to what can be found.

Hope this helps.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you go into the U.P., there is plenty to see. The drive on US 2 from St. Ignace to Engadine has some nice lake views and beach. Tahquamenon Falls is nice, and north of that is a little museum in a lighthouse. Then head to Munising and take the boat ride along the Pictured Rocks (make sure it's a calm, sunny day, and the sunset cruise has the best light). Head south to Fayette SP and walk around the old historic buildings where they smelted iron ore. Then drive to Palms Book SP and enjoy the clear, deep Big Spring where you can clearly see fish swimming around 40' below you.

Be sure to eat a pasty (like a pot pie) with gravy, and get some smoked fish if you like it; there are many places along the way. In Mackinaw City, look up the local bakery a block north of the main drag and buy some fresh cinnamon bread... but go early or it will be sold out.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to St Ignace and take the ferry from there as it's a more scenic way. Check with the ferry companies as one of them takes a little side trip on the way over and goes over to the bridge and then out to the island. You can take your bikes or rent bikes or take a buggy ride around the island. I 75 is fine if you want to just get there , if you want a more scenic route go over to 23 and along Huron. Don't forget to climb Castle Rock when in St Ignace. The Pink Pony has great reuben sandwiches and long island ice tea on the island.

Now not to mess up your plans but if you want to travel farther then that I would probably spend the time in the Pictured Rocks area.

MeetTheRobinson
Explorer
Explorer
In Mackinac City -- just minutes from Mill Creek Campground or Wilderness State Park -- is Ft. Michilimakinac. We walk through every year. Tells a lot about the area's history with interpreters in period costume.

There are also many geocaches and a really neat lighthouse by a dark sky park. The lighthouse nature trail has a different view of the bridge.

If you do go southwest from the island , Traverse City, Glen Arbor, Northport, Leland, and Frankfort are cute little towns with artsy stores and LOTS of ice cream! There is canoeing on the Lower Platte River. The river empties into Lake Michigan. The Campground is right up the road -- Platte River Campground. There is a great car drive through the woods with scenic stops to see the lake. This is the Stocking Drive. Sleeping Bear dunes is just down the road. They have been building a very nice bike trail. My son says it is fantastic!

Farther down, Ludington is a nice beach town, and there is a very popular State Park there.

Then, farther downstate, along US 31, is Holland and Saugatauk -- both nice tourist towns.

As you can see, there are many places to see in this part of Michigan!

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
precioustime wrote:
Driving from Accord, NY to Mackinac Island area this July. I heard Mackinac Island is cool. My rv is 24 ft long and pulling a small car. Any rv parks near the ferry station? I know cars are not allowed on the island. Should I go up the coast and avoid I 75? What about the other lakes? How often does the ferry go back and forth? Any rv parks I should stay in along the water? have 2 dogs that travel with us. Anything helps. Thanks!

The ferry leaves every half hour.
Avoiding I-75 isn't necessary unless it's southbound on the last weekend day of a holiday weekend.

It would be helpful to know what you're looking for when we make suggestions. How old are you, do you have kids, do you like towns, solitude, hiking, swimming, etc.

Going over the bridge to the UP is a neat experience. Stay in the UP only if you like solitude and driving for 1-2 hours between anything of interest.

If you're in Michigan for a limited amount of time, I would recommend focusing on the Lake Michigan shoreline. Traverse city is a nice town to visit. Sleeping Bear dunes is pretty, but the best sand is found farther south in Ludington, Silver Lake areas.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is an absolute MUST. The whole area is awesome with great views of Lake Michigan.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
My question would be, how long do you plan to spend in Michigan? I agree, going across the bridge from Mackinaw City to the U(pper) P(eninsula) is a great idea, and there are some great places to visit there: Soo Locks (Sault Ste Marie, which is pronounced "Soo Saint Marie), the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point, Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, etc.

As for getting there, don't follow the shoreline of Lake Huron until you get past the "thumb" (past Flint or so), or you will find yourself dealing with the traffic & other hassles of several big cities (Detroit, etc.) However, once you get about halfway up the lower peninsula, driving the shore route is fun - slower than the interstate, of course, but it's neat to look at the summer cottages, glimpses of the the beaches, lots of pine trees, etc.

BTW, the state park mentioned previously, located across the bridge from Mackinaw City, is Straits State Park. Some nice sites there; electric hookups available. Wilderness SP is also nearby, west of Mackinaw City, should you prefer this kind of camping to private CGs. Both nice, both popular; by now, sites may already be booked, especially for weekends.

Not sure how often the ferry runs but you can probably find a schedule if you google it. The island is worth a full-day visit at least.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375