cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian RV Insurance

Goon_F250
Explorer
Explorer
Retiring this fall and the plan is to head South for the winter. We plan on spending Nov and the first part of Dec in the warmer temps, then home for Xmas and the grandkids, and then back down until the first of April. We will be leaving the RV when we travel home. Called our insurance company and they will not insure the rv when we leave it in the US, which was a total surprise to me. They suggest i tow it back and forth! Would like some feedback on insurance companies that cover Canadian RV's in the US when we travel home. Thanks.
2014 Ford F250 6.7 4x4 CC Platinum
2012 Crossroads 335SS Provincial
10 REPLIES 10

Community Alumni
Not applicable
joebedford wrote:
Goon F250 wrote:
So, as long as the above guidelines are met the policy will respond.
So, basically as long as you DON'T plan to leave your rig in the US in storage for the summer then use it in the winter, you're covered.

That's how mine works. In our case the rv must be brought back into Quebec inside of 6 months.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Goon F250 wrote:
So, basically as long as you DON'T plan to leave your rig in the US in storage for the summer then use it in the winter, you're covered.

Goon_F250
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the latest from our insurance company.

" I was just advised last week that Elite has now removed the term โ€œunoccupiedโ€ from their travel trailer policies. Which means that you can place your trailer on a site anywhere in North America and leave it unoccupied/unattended for a period of time and the policy will still respond in the event of an insurable incident as long as the following criteria is met:

ยท the trailer cannot be out of Ontario for more than 180 consecutive days (6 months)

ยท the trailer cannot be left vacant, they define this term as: โ€œVacantโ€ means that your unit is without occupants and without the majority of your personal contents for a period of more than 30 consecutive days.

2014 Ford F250 6.7 4x4 CC Platinum
2012 Crossroads 335SS Provincial

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
stubblejumper wrote:
PackerBacker wrote:
We do exactly what you are planning to do. My insurance permits us to leave our rv in the US for up to 6 months. It was the same when we had our 5th wheel.

And... who is your insurance company??

It's through an rv insurance broker that many of us use here in Quebec; he is affiliated with the FQCC (Quebec Camping Federation).

This is the link;

http://www.leclercassurances.com/?p=0.300896048545837

We also maintain a seasonal camp site in upstate NY from May to October and we travel from there. I do bring the rv home about 2-3 times a summer so it never sits in the US for more than 6 months.

This October we will head to South Carolina and leave the rv there in a campgrond until mid-March.

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
We do exactly what you are planning to do. My insurance permits us to leave our rv in the US for up to 6 months. It was the same when we had our 5th wheel.

And... who is your insurance company??
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable

kedmonds
Explorer
Explorer
I carry insurance with Allstate and we also leave our fifth wheel in the US over the winter. You can only have the trailer in the US for 6 months and then you must bring it back to Canada. When on the road it is cover with the truck and then I have a policy for the trailer only for the US stay. It is put in storage for 3 months and we live in it for 3 months.

Kim
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
'08 RAM 2500HD SLT w/6.7 Cummins, 6 speed automatic

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Contact a Foremost agent where you are leaving it. In Ontario the tow vehicle covers the trailer so you can insure as a park model and still have liability coverage on the highway should you have to move it.

Firstep1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an article that may shed some info:

Leaving RV in the States

and here is a followup on the article:

Followup of article
Hope these help, Fred

Lethbridge, Alberta

God made a few good heads, the rest he put hair on.