Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All,

The kids are bugging me about taking them to Cedar Point this summer. I have been looking into camping spots and found East Bay SP, Sandusky KOA and Lighthouse Point. Lighthouse Point looks nice but it is over 100.00 per night. KOA and East Bay both look nice as well. Do you have any suggestions on where to stay? We will be at the amusement park one day and plan exploring the area the other two day were there. Thanks!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
16 REPLIES 16

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Looks like Lighthouse Point is the place to be!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes,, I stand corrected. It is East Harbor SP. And it is very nice. While in that area go to Kelleys Island and be sure to see the glacial grooves. Very interesting and the Island SP is also nice, small but nice.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
East Harbor State Park is very nice and is a short drive. I've never heard of East Bay State Park.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where else do you get to camp next to roller coasters?

Yes you will hear noise! coasters running kids screaming and laughing, but you`ll be in the park. no noise at night or morning because the park closes at 10:30/11:00.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Remember going to Cedar point in 07 and having a blast and enjoyed the park for the same things as mentioned earlier on this thread. Back then I paid $80 per night and now it's around $100 per night. If it makes anyone feel better I believe they get $300 to $500 per night for their cottages at Lighthouse point...WOW!!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Across the water is East Harbor State Park one our favorites, great swimming beach and a great deal less money.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
We camp at Lighthouse Point often and highly recommend you stay there. Yes its a little more expensive BUT you get a good size discount on park admission, you save the $10.00 a day to park and you get the early admission plus you get to use the hotels indoor pool incase the weather is inclement. Do keep in mind that there are no bicycles allowed and no ground fires so to call it "camping" is a bit of a stretch.

2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
.........camping on-site at the amusement park has some benefits that may not be immediately obvious. Cooking your own food for lunch and dinner (and not paying park prices for food) can save a decent bit of money, partly offsetting the pricy campground rates. Besides that, having a home base available to change, to take a siesta, to leave the camera in rather than carrying it around all the time, etc. is very convenient, as is not having to worry about battling traffic when leaving at night. You can also factor in not having to pay for parking if you'd be driving from another campground to the park.

Lighthouse Point was $77 per night back in 2006, so I'm not surprised one bit that they are over $100. I agree with all of the above, and as others have said you get the benefit of early admission to the park. Just be aware that not all rides are operational in that first hour. Would I do it again? You bet.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Without a doubt lighthouse point. Inspired by a post and photos from "Dodge Guy" we made the trip to Cedar Point a few years ago. It was a Fantastic trip and a fantastic place. Great amusement park. Great Campground. Enjoyed every minute.
Rates are pricey but in the end well worth it.
You can easily recoup/save at least $25.00 a day just by going back to the RV to eat lunch
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flintstones wrote:
Been rving at Cedar Point four times, I suggest you stay at Lighthouse Point. Early admission to the park, you can go back to the camper for lunch, dinner, relax at the pool. Don't have to drive at all.

You may save a few bucks staying outside of the park, but what's your time worth, especially on vacation. Lighthouse Point is a top notch, super clean, and well run rv park. Clean full hook up sites on concrete pads, and you can walk to the water park or the amusement park, or use the shuttle. You don't have to drive at all.

X2! Barring the size of Disney. Cedar Point rivals Disney by far IMHO!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
Been rving at Cedar Point four times, I suggest you stay at Lighthouse Point. Early admission to the park, you can go back to the camper for lunch, dinner, relax at the pool. Don't have to drive at all.

You may save a few bucks staying outside of the park, but what's your time worth, especially on vacation. Lighthouse Point is a top notch, super clean, and well run rv park. Clean full hook up sites on concrete pads, and you can walk to the water park or the amusement park, or use the shuttle. You don't have to drive at all.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were just up at East Bay SP last Oct. and truly enjoyed it. Did not go to the amusement park, but from the lighthouse park could see it. In our opinion the SP is the most centrally located and the most economical. Visit Kelley's Island and of course the lighthouse at Point Marblehead. Port Clinton is an interesting visit also.
Enjoy!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say lighthouse point. You get in an hour early to go on select rides. You can leave the park to grab some food, relax and go back when rested. Otherwise their is not too much to explore in that area. I would do a minimum of 2 days in Cedar Point.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Not to shure if they still do it but if you stay at lighthouse point you get early admission into the park.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU