cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispersed camping protocol

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I asked earlier about Valley of the God dispersed camping. We have never done it before and I'm wondering if there was any protocols that we should know about. Some time ago a person complained that someone had come and parked right next to them while they were camping and it really annoyed him. Thanks
50 REPLIES 50

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
🙂

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker, I wish I'd said that! Well played.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
That rig is a little underpowered (4 HP?), but what lovely ground clearance on both the TV and the TT!

By the way, it looks like that team contains both horses and mules -- was it common to do that? What about Deuteronomy 22:10? 😉

That is the hybrid model.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gosh, Phil, that's exactly what the Pharisees said! 😉

I'd interpret the verse a little more loosely. I think it's kind of like hooking two batteries in parallel -- things work better under load when they are similar.
About our trailer

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
My take on basic dispersed camping protocol:

1. Disperse.
2. Camp.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's Deut 22:10 - "Don't plow with an ox and a donkey tied together".

Dan -

1. In the photo I posted above is that early RV being pulled by oxen and donkeys?

2. In the photo I posted above is that early RV being used to plow?

🙂 😉 :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
That rig is a little underpowered (4 HP?), but what lovely ground clearance on both the TV and the TT!

By the way, it looks like that team contains both horses and mules -- was it common to do that? What about Deuteronomy 22:10? 😉
About our trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our ideal for camping in an RV is kindof duplicating what the Pioneers did when doing dispersed camping in their favorite RV - the Prairie Schooner.

As I understand it, those folks camped out in the middle of nowhere with only what they could carry on board and always with no hookups ... but often in large groups of the same type of RV 😉 :

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I've been told that in New Zealand, it's called "freedom camping." Has a nice ring to it, I think.

I met a guy from Spain who called it 'Neanderthal camping'.

I grew up with the code of the West: You keep moving until you cannot see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney. In boondocking, that means you park in a different turnout, and preferably where you cannot see anyone else's camp. Half a mile is good.

But when I camp by myself, I feel uncertain about that. I'm not about to pull up next to somebody at their boondocking site. But I might sometimes choose a little blm campground instead of boondocking alone. Depends on where I am, if I know the local culture, how I feel... I've also been known to talk to the lady at the local store, ask her if a certain spot is ok, tell her I just want someone to know I am there.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Exxwhy, there's no inconsistency between being a blogger and a frequent poster and being anti-social -- I use the web as a substitute for human contact! 😉

Your comment about being antisocial made me feel closer to you ;). I felt like we are kindred spirits. I like humans in small doses -- one or a few at a time IRL, but larger groups I mostly only like online.

Edit: I see there are a bunch of this in this thread, and all people whose posts I have particularly liked!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been told that in New Zealand, it's called "freedom camping." Has a nice ring to it, I think.
About our trailer

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Must admit I never heard the term 'dispersed camping' until this thread. Are we not using 'boondocking' any more....

Ever been to US government websites? "Dispersed camping" is the official terminology used by the government for public lands.

so how about using "dispersed boondocking" ? :R

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Exxwhy, there's no inconsistency between being a blogger and a frequent poster and being anti-social -- I use the web as a substitute for human contact! 😉

When you make your living standing in the front of a room talking to a bunch of people you need to get away now and then. Believe me, I know all about it.
I need some wild

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

This I understand.