cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving Miami to Key West in February: how's the traffic?

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:

Has anyone experienced the traffic paricularly in February from Miami to Key West?

Are there times of day (ie. open driving time-slots) or particular days of week when the driving would be less impacted by traffic (notwithstanding bad weather)? Any events down there in February that could possibly impede traffic?

Cheers,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou
10 REPLIES 10

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Driving in the Keys isn't "harrowing". If it's busy, you're just going slower. There won't be folks flying around you and cutting you off--like in Miami.

Probably no reason to start out in the dark. Let the Miami traffic calm down and leave at 9-10 and get into KW in about 4 hours.

BTW--Don't hold up traffic on US 1 in the Keys. There is a lot of 45 mph---it's OK to do 5 over.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly be cautious, but also.......have fun!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
MANY thanks for all your suggestions! I have a good idea now how I will plan our road trip. I was in the Keys (as far as Marathon in December '89) several times, however not in the "heart" of the winter "tourist season".

I like to drive VERY early, and will plan a pre 5 AM shot down from Homestead area during the days outlined above, in your suggestions. I am a very cautious (and, defensive) driver; so I'll leave the co-pilot do all the DV filming out side window :B
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we stayed at Knight's Key in Marathon (Mile Marker 47) and drove down to KW twice during our stay. Don't know what weekend traffic is like as we were there mid-week. There are occasional stop and go areas along the way, but averaging about 45 mph is pretty typical. As tourists in the Keys you really don't want to drive too fast anyway. Keeping an eye on the road while seeing all that great scenery is difficult enough.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I do this trip almost monthly year round. This is not for everyone, I like to leave Homestead for the trip south around 5:00 am & do the same thing north from Key West around the same time or earlier. Key West to Key Largo 104 miles almost always 2 hours of pleasant driving this time of the morning

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, go outside of commuter hours, plus Fridays down, Sundays up, and you'll do okay. The Fridays down/Sundays up are the worst by far.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
Avoid Friday afternoon/evening go to the keys and Sunday afternoon/evening when leaving the keys. Those times are heavier than others as lots of "locals" are coming and going for the weekend.

X's 2
We winter on the Keys, and Dog Folks is right on
!
Also going through Big Pine Key on a weekend, you can get held up by the flea market traffic

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid Friday afternoon/evening go to the keys and Sunday afternoon/evening when leaving the keys. Those times are heavier than others as lots of "locals" are coming and going for the weekend.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
South of the Mason Dixon line, Winter impedes traffic. Way too many cars down here that time of year.
We went to Key west 2 months ago. Didn't see any special problems.
Some construction around the south end of Key Largo, but take it slow and we had no problem.
Have a nice time.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
As long as there isn't a traffic accident on US 1, the traffic is slow but steady. 2 lane for the majority of the way down. Watch your speed and you won't have to contribute to the income base for Monroe County.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD