cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall Boondocking in Colorado

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning to head to Camp Hale in late October if the weather forecast permits. I'm wondering how late in the year any of you have camped there? As a 53-year resident (native) of Colorado, I'm fully aware of mountain weather and roads. Just curious how late folks are boondocking in the mountains in the fall. Thanks!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member
10 REPLIES 10

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
Continued thanks for the latest replies. I am very familiar with the area south of Trout Creek Pass and east of the Arkansas River, and I agree that there are lots of spots there and that it stays comparatively mild later than points north and higher elevation. I used to hunt elk and antelope in that area. Will watch the weather and plan (or cancel) accordingly.
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Good Sam RV Club Member

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow our 5th wheel through the Rockies all Fall for the past several years as my son races mountain bikes in the high school NICA mountain bike league. Last week the race was in Grandby. We boondocked near Frasier. It snowed on us Friday night. They delayed the race for Sat by an hour. Sundays races were under beautiful Colorado blue skies. We will head to Nathrop this weekend for the MacMurry Ranch race. There is snow in the mountains today. Suppose to clear out tomorrow and be nice this weekend. That's the beauty of Colorado, it usually clears up quick. Get out there and have fun, watch the weather and plan accordingly. Make sure your propane is topped off. I'm with 4runnerguy. The Salida area is a good bet for late Fall boondocking. I've been there several times as late as mid November.
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to check the weather report--it appears they're looking for an actual storm, snow levels down to 6500 ft.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm kinda curious what might be found in the region around Dillon Res, specifically ski resort parking lots. Several of them are now firing up their guns and I know Loveland is hoping to open next weekend.

OP says he's comfortable camping in these temps--he should be aware that the trend is expected to be cold PLUS cloudy, FWIW.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sawtooth63 wrote:
Thanks all for the input. I may opt to camp on the Leadville side of Tennessee Pass. Seems like it may be warmer over there, but not sure if there are any USFS campgrounds open.
No NFS CG's will be open then. In fact everything north of Salida is already closed and the gates locked. We've been down there the last couple of weekends.

Your best bet for a developed CG may be the Arkansas River Headwaters CG's along the river. They are open year around. No water at any of them, though. The dispersed camping at Salida East was packed last weekend, but that's pretty far south from where you're wanting to be.

IMHO, south toward Salida might be a better bet that late in the year anyway. Generally ten degrees warmer than Leadville and less snow. The hills on the east side of the Arkansas River Valley and south of Trout Creek Pass have a variety of boondocking locations, some with great views of the Sawatch Range, is a good place for late season boondocking.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the input. I may opt to camp on the Leadville side of Tennessee Pass. Seems like it may be warmer over there, but not sure if there are any USFS campgrounds open.
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Good Sam RV Club Member

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
AJBert,

How do you like your trailer? Looks like we have just about the same model. We are picking up our brand new one next Monday.
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Good Sam RV Club Member

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Late October may be pushing it there, as it is in a north facing basin in a snow prone area. I usually think of October 15 +/- as the end of easy boondocking in the mountains. I was up at Sunlight yesterday (8000') and we got snow for a while, so winter isn't far off.

BTW, have you checked the availability of boondocking locations at Camp Hale recently? I know they have closed a lot of the roads along the valley floor for asbestos abatement and munitions location and removal. A few years ago, they closed the area to dispersed camping while the work was going on, but I don't know if they've since opened the area back up. We park at the Colorado Trail trailhead there for mountain biking but haven't camped there in years.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be near Saguache at the end of Oct for elk hunting and at the top of Trout Creek Pass on 24/285 for deer hunting in Nov. Not quite "camping" as we tend to only spend time outside in camp between hunts. Too cold to be outside normally when the sun isn't up.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
You're living our dream. When you come back, please post the details of how well things went and where you stayed! 🙂

Good luck!