cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FL with out reservations

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
We have been going to the RGV and AZ the last number of years. We are thinking it's about time to go to FL again. It's been some time since we were there and would like to travel around a bit. Will we have a major problem getting a site for a week or a month at a time in January, February and March?
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar
12 REPLIES 12

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
Thank's everyone for your comments. Feel free to keep them coming.
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Three years ago we went without reservations other than a state park near the Gulf. We did a lot of 3 days here & there. You can get into some parks by staying flexible, calling ahead 3-6 days in advance of when you want to be somewhere. Plus you need some luck when going south of the Tampa to Orlando line.

Prior to leaving I put together a list of 35 RV parks in areas we might want to stay, listing contact info, locations, rates, amenities, and comments I picked up from other campers on RV Park Reviews.com. The list really helped because we weren't frustrated doing a lot of last minute research while on the road.

I also found that staying in the middle of the state (along US27) we were more likely to find vacancies. There's a nice state park in Sebring - Highland Hammocks - that you might want to check into reserving very soon. It wasn't always full the past 2 years we stayed there, but weekends are often a different story. In fact, weekends are usually busy all across Florida. Plan ahead for those situations.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
There are always cancellations. Just watch for them.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problems getting sites on the panhandle last January and February. Anastasia and fort clinch state parks, everglades, and around Ocala and Gainesville were pretty easy also. Further south, not so much, particularly weekends and large rig sites.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Simply, best places fills up quicker..
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
For some reason that I can't understand is that February is more crowded than January. Campgrounds will fill up in Feb that are not full in January. Don't know about March.

In SW Florida February is the "peak" of the season. It starts to taper off in March and Easter weekend is generally considered the end" of the season.

December and January is slightly less busy as many folks stay up north to celebrate the holidays with family. This is not "scientific" but rather my personal experience in 35 years of life there.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason that I can't understand is that February is more crowded than January. Campgrounds will fill up in Feb that are not full in January. Don't know about March.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
A "major" problem? NO

A problem? Yes.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is yes and no. It will all depend on where you plan to go. Many of the parks in the "destination" areas are already booked for the season. Many will set aside a number of spots for short term rentals. The State parks usually are filled, again depending on where you plan to be. The State Parks in the Keys for instance require you make reservations a year in advance to get a spot during the winter season. Plan ahead and get your reservations early. Chuck

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a word, no.. But maybe not where you want it. The state parks are on reserveamerica so book up early. Grand Lakes, Williston Crossings, rock Crusher, Wilderness RV resort, Weiiva Falls are all options. Salt Springs near Palatka is Federal, full hook ups, half price after 62. No cell service.

The farther south you go the more crowded. Can't speak to southern gulf coast.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easier to get shorter days than longer without reservations, but still doable. Pick a town and use google to search for CGs as many do not have to advertise and are not in any of the books.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Falcon35 wrote:
We have been going to the RGV and AZ the last number of years. We are thinking it's about time to go to FL again. It's been some time since we were there and would like to travel around a bit. Will we have a major problem getting a site for a week or a month at a time in January, February and March?
Yes. The time to commit is now.