cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Keys

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like some advice on what to see and do. We are thinking of going down there this coming January or February - stopping and exploring as we go.

We like hiking, history, unusual things... Already planning to see the forts - Zachary Taylor and Jefferson.

We won't have an RV with us so no campground info is needed - just want to know where to stop and what not to miss. Any recommendations?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
20 REPLIES 20

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
For your history quest, there is an abandoned Nike missile site on north Key Largo. It's pretty much grown over, but you might be interested in seeing the remains. The Carribean Club in Key Largo was where the movie Key Largo was filmed. Another movie relick is the boat African Queen which is located in Key Largo. You can take a cruise on it. Another possibility is to stop for a tour of Pigeon Key off Marathon. It's an old work camp for the overseas railway. Indian Key State park has an abandoned village. You can rent kayaks at Robbies and paddle out there. You can feed tarpon at Robbie's also. bahia Honda state park is worth a visit. It's still in recovery mode from Irma, but still worth stopping. Big Pine Key has the endangered key deer roaming about. Take the road back to No Name Key and you;ll likely see many of the dog sized deer. In KW, take a walk thru the cemetery- interesting inscriptions in the markers.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
On the way:
Savannah and St. Augustine.

Those are peak "snow bird" times so accommodations other than chain motels might be hard to come by.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pasusan wrote:
I'd like some advice on what to see and do. We are thinking of going down there this coming January or February - stopping and exploring as we go.

We like hiking, history, unusual things... Already planning to see the forts - Zachary Taylor and Jefferson.

We won't have an RV with us so no campground info is needed - just want to know where to stop and what not to miss. Any recommendations?

Well Ft. Zachary Taylor is easy with RV, not so much for Ft. Jefferson! :B

I will say been there done that and well worth it!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `Florida Keys tourism' and read on. Don't forget to buy a Key Lime Pie at Marcus' place in Key West. He needs the money!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Dinner at Ziggy and Maddogs restaurant in or near Islamora around milepost 80. Incredible but pricy
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Key lime pie in Keywest
Mallory Square Sunset festival

Bud
USAF Retired