cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those going to see Eclipse

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interactive map, in which one can zoom in for excellent details of the ground, in order to find a viewing spot.

Caveat: Those wanting RV parking/camping may be having trouble, as I hear that reservations have been filled up for months for this particular event, and those having vacancies want a 5-day reservation in some places.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
45 REPLIES 45

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
FloridaReLoaded wrote:
I spoke with the people that run the little town Andrews NC, they told me that they have people coming in from all around the world. They have been sold out of anywhere to stay for almost a year! People have asked to set up tents in parking lots, open pastures, everywhere. Churches have told them that they could set up outside, its crazy over there already. Luckily I have a cabin in Robbinsville NC. Robbinsville and all surrounding areas have been sold out as well. Nothing is available there, I mean all campgrounds and hotel/motel/cabins everything are full.

We reserved a couple of campsites in that area (Tellico Plains) about 8 months ago. I tried to add another a couple of days later, they were all sold out.

Just browsing different areas on the internet, there's tons of festivals for this all over the country. Should be a blast!!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a map of where you need to be to be in the full occlusion zones. It is very narrow. Dayton OH et. al. is NOT in it.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

wyocowboy00
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch the animals. They can't figure out what is going on and they get really nervous.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
rbtglove wrote:
Trying to determine if it would be a significant difference to travel to our cabin near Knoxville TN which will be very near the full eclipse area or to stay in Dayton OH which is in about the 90% area. Any expert advice as to a simple explanation of the advantage of driving south would be appreciated.
Is your cabin north of Knoxville = no total eclipse or half-way to Chattanooga = full total eclipse?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We'll be driving 1617km to get to Nashville plus whatever we have to do on the day to get clear skies. (that's 1000 miles for those on the old system).

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
rbtglove wrote:
Trying to determine if it would be a significant difference to travel to our cabin near Knoxville TN which will be very near the full eclipse area or to stay in Dayton OH which is in about the 90% area. Any expert advice as to a simple explanation of the advantage of driving south would be appreciated.
Might get a tiny bit gloomy in Dayton but if you're not paying attention, at 90% you won't notice it.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to drive over 6 hours one way to get there... And I don't even consider myself crazy!

And we'll turn it into a one week trip with three days at Crater Lake.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with the people that run the little town Andrews NC, they told me that they have people coming in from all around the world. They have been sold out of anywhere to stay for almost a year! People have asked to set up tents in parking lots, open pastures, everywhere. Churches have told them that they could set up outside, its crazy over there already. Luckily I have a cabin in Robbinsville NC. Robbinsville and all surrounding areas have been sold out as well. Nothing is available there, I mean all campgrounds and hotel/motel/cabins everything are full.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
953 miles according to google map. Staying at the campground for 2 weeks at what is billed as a beautiful forest service campground with a lake. The eclipse might be what prompted the trip, and is the highlight, but even if it's cloudy the trip will be worth while.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
Pencil me In as one of those who will drive 700 miles from northern NJ to southern SC for the show. My 3 kids school talked so much about it that they got interested. We will stop for 1 day in NC to visit family as well. Then back to work Wednesday

Your children will thank you for it! Our's is in a sandbox somewhere over that-a-way but he saw one when he was 3 and still remembers it. (Well, mostly because he got to play on the resort owner's golf cart. :D)

Audio record them! Much better than photos.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Pencil me In as one of those who will drive 700 miles from northern NJ to southern SC for the show. My 3 kids school talked so much about it that they got interested. We will stop for 1 day in NC to visit family as well. Then back to work wednessday
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Corky said, "One would have to be nuts." So would Two!

Actually, people (read: certain relatives) are calling us nuts to drive a thousand miles for two minutes of darkness and possible clouds. Maybe we are!

I figure that this will be a "Y2K" event. It's a Monday workday and most people have no clue what it is. They will watch on TV or listen to it on the radio. Locals within a few minutes drive will show, but few will drive more than a couple of hours to watch a 2:30 minute event. I can take several days because I'm retired! ๐Ÿ˜„

Ls
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corky said, "One would have to be nuts." So would Two!

Actually, people (read: certain relatives) are calling us nuts to drive a thousand miles for two minutes of darkness and possible clouds. Maybe we are!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."