cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort De Soto - Sarasota/Bradenton Area

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Fort De Soto soon and would like some suggestions of things to do in the area. We've been here before but we'd like some fresh suggestions on what to do in the area for a family of 5. We'd prefer outdoor activities since we're coming down in search of warm weather and sunshine. Kids are 10, 8 and 7.

Thanks in advance!
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS
10 REPLIES 10

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips!
2019 F150 Ecoboost

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quantum82 wrote:
Maybe a local air boat ride??

Myakka River state park has a large airboat that runs out several times a day.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in the Bradenton area, go to Anna Maria Island and hit the beaches! You can get the Gulf on the west side and Tampa Bay on the east side. Beautiful island, we just finished 2 weeks there!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Argie7
Explorer
Explorer
Within Ft DeSoto park, you can take the ferry to Egmont Key. There are 2 ferry trips a day. You can leave mid-morning, enjoy the place and get back in the afternoon.
Argie7
RT210 Versatile (SE)

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great ideas so far!

Keep the suggestions rolling!!
2019 F150 Ecoboost

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Normally gators are not a threat, you rarely see one in the day. But at this park and at the Everglades NP the gators are used to people and I have to agree potentially somewhat dangerous. I would not go canoeing on Myakka Lake. Especially since these gators are being fed by humans, oddly with the rangers approval.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

You will not see more gators in one spot, than you will see in Myakka unless you got down to the Shark Valley Everglades NP location off Hwy 41 further south.

Not to derail this thread but my wife and I and our 3 young (at the time) kids stayed there (Myakka River state park) back in the early 90s. We went out in our own family canoe for a little canoe ride. After a little while, we saw a gator in the water fairly close to us, then another and another and another. They were just everywhere. It seemed strange to me that they had a canoe rental concession there, where anybody could rent a canoe, and go out on the water, with all those gators there.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quantum82 wrote:
Thanks! We plan to do Myakka River Hiking.

Also we're going to Mixons Fruit Farm.

Air Boat? I'm not familiar with that in that area, the hotbed of air boating is the Highway 41 (the Trail) crossing of the Everglades which is south of there. Mixons is a well known major grove in the area I haven't heard of their tour but I grew up in the area and would not be one of the target population for that. There is a boat tour of the lake in Myakka SP not an air boat tho but they may have that down there. Actually I think I may have noticed one last time I was in the area.

You will not see more gators in one spot, than you will see in Myakka unless you got down to the Shark Valley Everglades NP location off Hwy 41 further south.
Superbumper

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We plan to do Myakka River Hiking.

Also we're going to Mixons Fruit Farm.

2019 F150 Ecoboost

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK you have me a bit confused. Ft De Soto is in the St Petersburg area. Bradenton and Sarasota are considerably south of that, especially Sarasota. Sarasota has a lot to do, the is the Ringling Circus Museum, the Asolo Theater, lots of great beaches, Myakka River State Park and its walkway up at the top of the trees, many alligators and lots of other critters. St Pete area has good beaches at St Petersburg Beach, there is a great aquarium in Tampa, and there is the Ybor City area for a taste of old Florida just to mention a few. Bradenton doesn't have as much to offer tho it does have a good beach. I think there is good shelling on Anna Maria Island there too, but check on that since I'm not sure.

A bit inland from Sarasota you can canoe on the Peace river and find lots of fossil sharks teeth (Arcadia Canoe Outpost). Further south Venice Beach offers shelling and also fossil sharks teeth on the beach.
Superbumper