cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From Pa. to the Florida Keys

loves_to_golf
Explorer
Explorer
This October we will be going to the Keys from Pa. Can someone tell me are there any campgrounds that are not to far from route 95 on the way down.
23 REPLIES 23

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I would never carry bikes on the ladder.

For fifth wheels, here are you bike carrying options:
Bikes & Fifth Wheels
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

loves_to_golf
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who gave us all this information. Our unit is a 2014 Keystone Cougar High Country model 315RES. Our truck is a new Silverado 2015 2500HD. I have not weighed the unit yet, but the way the wife has been loading it i am sure it is over 9,000 by now. The info from Keystone says 8,510 dry. Do any of you think it is safe to carry 2 bikes from the ladder on the back of the unit?

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
They are everywhere along I 95. No Problems.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
x2 Carolina Crossroads and Americamps. We have also stayed at the Florence RV Park in South Carolina. All 3 have easy access to I95 and are convenient for overnights, we generally don't even unhitch so we are ready to go in the a.m.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:
Before the trailer, we used to load the kids into the van, and hit the mid-day ferry from Cape May to Lewes Delaware. DW and I would take shifts driving through the night, and we would get to my Mother's house in Stuart, FL for breakfast. Those days are long gone! With the trailer, it is a totally different ball game, and who wants to drive at night anymore, anyhow?

I don't necessarily want to but work schedules + maximizing vacation time sometimes dictates it.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
oldchief7155 wrote:
FL rest areas allow overnighting, are clean, well-lighted AND have armed security all night.

Every Florida rest area I have been in specifically says "No Overnight Camping"
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Before the trailer, we used to load the kids into the van, and hit the mid-day ferry from Cape May to Lewes Delaware. DW and I would take shifts driving through the night, and we would get to my Mother's house in Stuart, FL for breakfast. Those days are long gone! With the trailer, it is a totally different ball game, and who wants to drive at night anymore, anyhow?
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:
Looks like a nice relaxing, do-able plan!

My ideal driving day is about 200 miles. A long day is 300. An unpleasant day is 400+.

We did Baltimore to Orlando in 2012 as a straight shot, started at 11pm and arrived at 6pm. I was knackered by the end of it.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice relaxing, do-able plan!
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my planned route from Baltimore, MD to Key West:
Day 1) Leave Home
Kosmo Village RV Campground
"11197 Washington Hwy.
Glen Allen, VA 23059"

Day 2) Leave Kosmo
South of the Border RV
"3346 Highway 301 North
Hamer, SC 29547"
275 miles

Day 3) Leave SOTB
Country Oaks Campground
6 Carlton Cemetery Rd, Kingsland, GA 31548
310 miles

Day 4) Leave Country Oaks
Jonathan Dickinson State Park
"16450 S.E. Federal Highway
Hobe Sound, Florida 33455"
310 miles

Day 5) Leave SP
Arrive Bluewater Key
1 Park Drive, Key West, FL 33040
240 miles

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
loves to golf wrote:
Thank you everyone for all the info. We are new to this we have a 5th wheel we bought last year. We are from the Harrisburg area and have just been camping locally. But my wife wants to go to Florida for next winter. Not sure how far we will be driving each day, maybe about 400 miles. I had a GMC 1500 but just traded it for a new Chevy 2500HD. When we went to Myrtle Beach to play golf a couple of times I always went down 15 to 95. But I dont think I want to haul the 5th wheel on 15.

That's the way you'd take to get to Myrtle Beach. However, to get down to Florida, you'll want the 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. Much less stressful drive and more scenic, especially through Fancy Gap. We used to go down the 95 the Harrisburg/Baltimore/DC way until the first time we went to 77. That's the way we'll take from now on. No problem with traffic around Charlotte using the 485 bypass.

I use the 81/66/17/95 to Myrtle Beach, but still not to Florida. I avoid as much of the 95 as I can.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure there are plenty of campgrounds just off 95 south because there are a LOT of people coming down to winter in Florida. Do you have Microsoft Streets and Trips? It can help you plan the route and where to stay on the way down.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always use New Green Acres in South Carolina. It is right off I-95.
They have large pull through sites, and full hook ups

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
We lived near Waynesboro, PA and took I-81 to I-66East, US-17, to Fredericksburg, VA; and then south on I-95. No big hills and you avoid the long grade on I-77 from VA to NC. Charlotte NC traffic can be a pain and heavy.

Once you get south of Petersburg, VA the traffic on I-95 eases up quite a lot.

2nd the recommendation for Green Acres in Walterboro, SC. Easy off and on I-95.

If you are planning on Florida in the winter, you had better look into getting some reservations depending on where you are heading. It can be difficult or impossible to make reservations the further south you go in Florida. We did it for 11 years and got tired of the hassle. Switched over to Tucson, AZ and love it our here.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD