cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ft. Desoto

petestulipbug
Explorer
Explorer
Hi looking for info on Ft. Desoto, can you tell me if there is enough things to do at the campground and surrounding area for kids for a full week? Also we are reserved for site 188, it appears to be a waterfront site, anyone familiar with that site and could tell me if there is water access or can the kids fish from the site? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

KO
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Desoto is a great stay. I have staryed there several times. I usually stay for about 10 days. If you have dogs - it is one of the best dog runs I have ever been too! They can run and play in water on the beach.

Many weekends have races (bike/runner). Beaches are nice. There is a somewhat small but convient store in campground. I have a kayak and take it as it is great paddling.

Enjoy.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
NoVa RT wrote:
One question, is the beach accessible within the campground? Like via bikes or do we need to pack up and drive over?

North Beach is further from the campground, maybe not impossible to bike, but I don't recall seeing anyone do it. We drove.

I've done it. :B
I didn't know how far it was.
I just noticed on the link to the campground, that it's about 1 mile to the east beach and 5 miles to the north beach.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
One question, is the beach accessible within the campground? Like via bikes or do we need to pack up and drive over?

North Beach is further from the campground, maybe not impossible to bike, but I don't recall seeing anyone do it. We drove.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep an eye out for the raccoons they are very friendly but I wouldn't want to be bitten by one. Could ruin your trip. The fishing pier along the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is a favorite place and not too far of a drive. Enjoy!!!
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
petestulipbug wrote:
Thank you so much to everyone for your replies. One question, is the beach accessible within the campground? Like via bikes or do we need to pack up and drive over? Thanks again!

The beaches are outside the campground, but within the park. You can ride a bike along the nice bike trail to the beach,pier,fort area. For those with a boat, there is a boat ramp/launch area, also within the park, which is the largest I've seen anywhere (and I'm pretty old :B).
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

petestulipbug
Explorer
Explorer
Also, wanted to add, we will be there next week!

petestulipbug
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much to everyone for your replies. One question, is the beach accessible within the campground? Like via bikes or do we need to pack up and drive over? Thanks again!

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
The North Beach is fantastic - warm water & soft, white sand. The other beach was somewhat "seaweedy" when we were there. If you're there during the baseball season, Rays tickets are generally available, they don't draw that well. Tropicana Field may not be the perfect stadium, but you don't have to worry about a rainout. Bring lots of quarters for all the tolls going in & out of the park.
2013 RT 190-Popular

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry ride to egmont key national wildlife refuge
Bike trails

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say when you will be going, I will be there in June.

They do have great beaches on the west side of the park, a kayak rental for the brackish water area where you can see manatees and dolphins. I am not sure what activities your children like to do but when I was a kid the beach had all my interest.

As someone mentioned earlier there are other sights to see in St. Pete and Clearwater including an aquarium in Clearwater. The St. Pete Pier is popular, there are boat excursion to the key/island off shore, all within a reasonable drive.

There are many families that stay in that campground in the park with children, you will be in good company.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
also right near there they have a small hydro plane type boat ride where two people to a boat control a 1 hour trip around the area there and is navigated by a lead boat that narrates by speakers in each boat about what you are seeing as you cruise along. Great fun lille ride. Think it is about $64 a boat for fee's.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is GOOGLE VIEW of FORT DE SOTO PARK...

Sure looks like a great place to camp for a week to me...

FORT DE-SOTO PARK
Mouse click on the views that catches your eye for more info...

You can also do a GOOGLE MAP SEARCH EARTH VIEW and probably get a great SATELLITE VIEW of the camp site. Will give you a good idea what the sea wall will look like...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is GOOGLE VIEW of FORT DE SOTO PARK...

Sure looks like a great place to camp for a week to me...

FORT DE-SOTO PARK
Mouse click on the views that catches your eye for more info...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last month, and I recall seeing people fishing from the campground. You can also keep kayaks at your site and launch from there.

There is a watersports concession in the park with bait for sale, kayak and bike rentals - google water sports rental Ft. DeSoto and you'll find it. They have a store inside the campground just past the entrance.

It's a big park. The campground has a sea wall around it and it is not a swim area. You drive or bike to swim from the beautiful sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico. I think there is a fishing pier over there, too. There are boat trips to an offshore island.

The kids will probably enjoy the old fort with cells and places to climb up. There's also an old Quartermaster Museum. You can see some interesting wading birds, often strolling through your own site.

You know your children best - I would have loved it as a kid just for the beach alone, but there aren't game arcades, movies, amusement park rides, etc. there or close by.