cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fun Valley or Blue Creek Lodge?

TDHEX
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we are heading for Colorado again. We usually stay at Fun Valley in South Fork, but have heard a bunch of folks say that FV has changed quite a bit. We were there two years ago and the place needed a little sprucing up, but was still OK. Of course we had the usual complaint about tight spaces, but that goes with the territory. We were pretty put out with the YOUNG people (under 12) driving UTV's at great speed through the park, almost hit my granddaughter. We have friends that have been going to FV for over 20 years. They get there when it opens and stay till it closes. They told my son that they will never go back. That is really something coming from them.

The problem now is finding a new place, if we don't stay at FV. I have looked on the web for places to stay and have narrowed it down to a few. Please let me know about any experiences you have had with "South Fork Campground", "Castle Lakes" in Lake City, and "Blue Creek Lodge" South Fork/Wagon Wheel Gap. We are leaning towards Blue Creek, but would appreciate your input on all of them, including your thoughts on Fun Valley. Thanks in advance, and travel safe!
3 REPLIES 3

br549redneck
Explorer
Explorer
bradnailer wrote:
Never stayed at Fun Valley but drove past several times. Looked like wall to wall RV's where you might ding your neighbors trailer if you opened your door. Not my kind of camping.

Can't comment on the other places. We always camp at a NFS campground south and east of there between Antonito and Chama NM.

Look into BLM camp sights if you dont mind boondocking, get away from the crowds. Big Meadows, Upper or Lower Beaver Creek, Slumgulian is a pretty camp ground its at or close to 11,000 feet air is thin but sure is some pretty scenery.

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
Never stayed at Fun Valley but drove past several times. Looked like wall to wall RV's where you might ding your neighbors trailer if you opened your door. Not my kind of camping.

Can't comment on the other places. We always camp at a NFS campground south and east of there between Antonito and Chama NM.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have been to Fun Valley the last 10 years. After 54 years in business the park has aged pretty well, but does also show its age. And the sites were laid out for RVs of several generations ago, i.e. much smaller.
There have been a number of changes since Mack Henson passed away a few years ago, not all for the better.
Landscape maintenance has improved with much brush cleared and grass seems to be mowed more regularly. And overall general maintenance and upkeep seems to be better. Some needed building refurbishment work done, bridges rebuilt.
But since his passing the number of kids (and adults) running around in golf carts, utility vehicles, scooters, etc has increased a lot. Like you a lot of us do not like that. And other little things that seem to take away from what it used to be.
We will go again this year, and likely again next year. But beginning to think there may be better places in the same general area. Have not stayed at any of the others (yet) so can't comment on them.