cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gettysburg in August CG Recommendations

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to Gettysburg PA the first week in August. We haven't been there for a long time. We will be in a 32' MH with no tow, and don't particularly want to take it into the park. Recommendations, please for a CG nearby which has trolley or shuttle service

Many thanks,

Jim
8 REPLIES 8

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Gettysburg CG three years ago with a TT, so we took the truck sightseeing. Had such a good time, we are going back this August with our Class C. We reserved a minivan from Enterprise because we don't tow. They apparently do pick you up! They'll also drop you off afterward if you make arrangements.
We're also taking a motorcoach tour to Washington, D.C., for the day. You can pick it up at Gettysburg CG through http://www.daytontours.com/dayton.html. We may also take the minivan to Hershey Park.
Hope you have a great trip!
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
Artillery Ridge is within walking distance of the battle field, which is VERY large and not walk-friendly because of its size. If you can get to the Visitor Center (not that far but without sidewalks on a busy street), you can take one of their guided bus tours. Awesome place. We always make it our last stop coming home from snowbirding. Enjoy .... camp on!

bhall
Explorer
Explorer
None of the campgrounds here have their own trolley per se. The closest campground to the visitor center is Artillery Ridge on the Taneytown Road/Rt 134.
They honor Good Sam and Passport America discounts. They also have stables there where you can take a horseback tour of the battlefield. As big as the battlefield is, you definitely need some type of transportation to view it.

We have a Trolley service in Gettysburg and surrounding areas. Here is the website so you can check out routes and schedules
http://www.rabbittransit.org/Schedules/FreedomTransit.aspx

Here is Artillery Ridges website:
http://artilleryridge.com/

P.S. I'll apologize in advance for high gas prices. They like to gouge us all year long. You can go to any other town over and pay less for your gas.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Gettysburg Campground several times and really liked. I don't think they have a shuttle though.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Check into Gettysburg Campground, just west of town. Outstanding.

We removed Drummer Boy from our "favorite" list when the corporate "it's all about profit" mob bought it around 2007. Will never go back.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

md2lgyk
Explorer
Explorer
Drummer Boy is probably the closest unless you're a Coast-to-Coast member. If so, there's Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. It's actually on a portion of the battlefield. We stopped going to Drummer Boy several years ago when they started renting golf carts to drunks - one of them nearly took out a grandkid.
"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know of any CG that have a trolley but might be wrong? We stay at Gettysburg Campground next to Marsh Creek. As a matter of fact we are heading up there at the end of the month.We have been staying there on and off the past 5 yes and always have a great time. Good luck and be safe

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the shuttle service but I have stayed at Drummer Boy and Round Top Campgrounds with my rig. I like Drummer Boy the best. The Park Visitors Center is not far away from either camp ground and they have a huge parking lot for buses and RV's. I just went the day that I checked out of the campground. One thing I would be concerned about is the weather. It tends to be hot up there in August.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A