cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gilbert Ray Campground, AZ - beware of open ground circuit

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plugged in the PD surge protector at the campsite elect pedestal and it showed an open ground at the pedestal.
Thinking it may have been something wrong with the surge protector, I got my household circuit tester (plugged into a 30 amp adapter) and checked the pedestal again - same reading: open ground.

I checked several other campsites in our campground loop and they all tested "open ground".
I alerted one of the campground hosts to this potential problem. He didn't seem to much care.
Would you escalate this potential problem or simply consider "duty done"?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
14 REPLIES 14

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"What is the danger in this?"

Our first and second travel trailers had aluminum skins. When we lived in town, because of where I had to park the camper(s), I ended up using an orange construction style 100 foot extension cord to plug in the camper to keep the battery charged and for light use inside.

It took a while to figure it out, but sometimes, especially if I were barefoot, I'd touch the door, door handle, or side of the camper and get a tingle shock feeling. Not bad, just enough to let you know ... don't touch this. I didn't think too much of it until one day, one of our kids questioned it happening.

As it turned out, the extension cord I used had the ground plug broken off (on purpose) and I never associated the ground fault with the shocking sensation on the outside of the trailer. When I switched extension cords, it never happened again. Lesson learned.

No, it probably won't hurt anything, as said above, most household small appliances don't have grounded plugs and they work fine. But in an RV that cost thirty thousand dollars, compared to a seven dollar desk lamp? Um ... it's good to have the electricity correct!

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I reported an open ground at a county park in Lake Worth FL. I have stainless steel basement doors on the Sahara and was getting a tingle whenever I unlocked one (barefoot of course). I measured 24VAC between the door lock and the ground. That's enough to kill a small dog and give a child a good zap. The electricians came in and determined it was back at the power company's equipment and moved everyone in that loop to other spots.

Trouble was that loop was full of Canadians that had every Christmas decoration known to mankind set up on their sites. They were not happy with me. I guess I could have just asked to move and let them deal with it.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ended up depositing the fee envelope with a "ATTN: MAINTENANCE DEPT" on the outside with a description of the problem.

We stayed another night - our camper is about 4 years old and is still in pretty good condition - probably no electric leaks to ground and the exterior skin is not metal.
People in the aluminum Airstream trailers might think differently though.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
drsteve wrote:
2oldman wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
I alerted one of the campground hosts to this potential problem. He didn't seem to much care.
They never do. Electrical problems are usually considered "your fault."

Me, I'd probably just plug in sans surge if it's just a day or two. Longer term, I'd plug in just for the charger and use my inverter. That may not be an option for you.

What is the danger in this?

The danger is that if your RV has, or develops, an electrical issue, you could end up with a safety hazard. Without a proper ground from the campground pedestal, the chassis and skin of your RV could become electrified with a dangerous amount of fault current at 120 volts.
It wasn't that long ago that grounds were not standard in home electrical systems. Still find many ungrounded receptacles in older homes. Many household items like lamps do not have grounds.
Yes it is a problem that should be addressed, but an open ground isn't instant death lurking just beneath the surface.

The NEC has required grounded outlets in new construction since 1959. And you're right, an open ground is no big deal--unless a fault occurs. But if it does, and your RV skin becomes charged, it is a big deal.

I would not knowingly plug in to an ungrounded pedestal, just as I am sure you would not knowingly allow one of your customers to do so. Why take the risk?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
2oldman wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:

Me, I'd probably just plug in sans surge if it's just a day or two. Longer term, I'd plug in just for the charger and use my inverter. That may not be an option for you.

The danger is that if your RV has, or develops, an electrical issue, you could end up with a safety hazard. Without a proper ground from the campground pedestal, the chassis and skin of your RV could become electrified with a dangerous amount of fault current at 120 volts.
It wasn't that long ago that grounds were not standard in home electrical systems. Still find many ungrounded receptacles in older homes. Many household items like lamps do not have grounds.
Yes it is a problem that should be addressed, but an open ground isn't instant death lurking just beneath the surface.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what section you were in, but site A15 showed no problems when I was there on December 5th...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the warning. Gilbert Ray is on our list of places to visit this winter.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Did you end up staying there or did you move to another site or a different campground completely? Or did you feel OK plugging in and stay? Just wondering what you did for follow up after notifying the host.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Call this number (520) 724-5000 and tell them you want to report a potential electrical hazard at one of their campground. Gilbert-Ray is a County Park owned campground. They are usually real good at correcting problems.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would not plug in without a ground connection. EMS would not pass power anyway. Report to the office, not the host.
I would asked to be moved or find a new campground if I wanted power.

And yes I have encountered same. Reported to the office and received the same response as you. Couple years later same spot, same problem. The 50amp had a ground so I had to use my adapter.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If I were in your shoes...

Time to alert management with my pocket book and get a refund. They agreed to provide electric service, they're in breach of contract.

I wouldn't fight or argue, just politely ask for the refund. If they want to escalate it, I could show them the relevant National electric code concerning grounding.

Not worth the risk of staying and putting up with a safety issue.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes! Help protect your fellow RVers. Post on Yelp etc. Another reason I don’t plug-in much.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad