cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier National Park

dean_and_monica
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best time of year to see Glacier National Park. Would love to the Going to the sun road. When is this road clear of snow. Right now we are thinking mid June or would it be better to wait until mid July.
New TV: 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 5.9L Diesel
New Rig: 2011 Rockwood Signiture Ultra Lite 8313SS
Old TV2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Old Rig: 2008 Roo 23SS ---- Destroyed by Mother Nature
25 REPLIES 25

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful photo, profdant139!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The most beautiful drive in America is the drive thru Bear Tooth Pass going from Red Lodge to the northern entrance of Yellowstone. We drove in in early June. The plowing had been finished and it was spectacular.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
September is great, too -- fewer people, no bugs, and the sun rises at a more reasonable hour (7 am), so you don't have to wake up early to catch the sunrise -- this is at Two Medicine Lake:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
It opened on June 19th when I was there in 2012. There is a 21 foot long and 8 foot wide limit on vehicles.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO there is no good reason to drive the GTTS road. It's probably the most narrow and treacherous road this side of Nepal. Going west it's not so bad but the return trip is inches from oblivion.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

coachmen1955
Explorer
Explorer
it was open mid june this year

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
michael8rc wrote:
We were there in mid July a few years ago and they were still plowing snow at the top of the pass.

X2
It was 2011. I think it finally opened around July 9. We gave up and left July 6.
It was also touch and go getting into Yellowstone from the east side at the end of June.
We plan on trying again this year around the first week of September.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

michael8rc
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in mid July a few years ago and they were still plowing snow at the top of the pass.
1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Crater Lake, there is a very narrow window of opportunity to see Glacier. July and August are your best bets.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have had better chances on the Going to Sun Road being open around the first week of July. It all depends of snow fall.
Going to the Sun Road, FAQs
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Mid-June may be a bit early, suggest that you contact the NPS folks at Glacier to get their best guesses. As the time for your planned visit gets nearer, stay in contact to see how the snow plowing and avalanche control work is progressing on Going to the Sun Road.