Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon trailer village RV campground

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some real world info on this campground
We will be going in oct of 2016 the website has that it is a mile walk to the rim of the canyon. Just wondering if that is true. It states that there is a free shuttle that picks you up at the gate also that would be convenient.

Thanks in advance
Proud father of a US Marine
22 REPLIES 22

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
The campground is tight and really just a place to sleep, but that's all it has to be. The shuttle service was terrific!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
accsys wrote:
We found the shuttle very usable from Trailer Village in 2011 and it would drop you off at several points along the rim. You will need a vehicle to get you to many of the places such as Watchtower along the east rim as the shuttle didn't go that far east when we were there.
X-2, the free Shuttle system is great, you can do about 90% of the Canyon Rim, including store, shops, & places to eat, without ever starting your car, however there are a few places like Watchtower that you'll have to drive to, as the shuttle doesn't go that far east.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
I stayed there this last Spring and I just drove my pick up to whatever part of the canyon I wanted to see. Along the West rim road I took the shuttle which was a good experience too.

Yes Hermit Road the Red route (west) is only accessible when you will be there by shuttle. We were there 4/16/15

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us it was a great ONE DAY affair and after you drove the whole length and visited the visitor center and stopped at all of the pull out areas that was it... You can go down into the canyon as well for a fee. We never did that...

ALot of folks stay at WILLIAMS and take the train to the canyon which is another fun trip I've heard... We stayed one year at a Flagstaff Camp which was right next the East-West main railroad. Big mistake as there is a hooting train at least every five minutes all night long haha...
Staying a whole week at the canyon campground might not be what you want to do. There are so many attraction with a 100 mile range of the grand canyon to see and for us it was best to make Flagstaff or Maybe Sedona the home base and then drive one day to see each of the very grand places to see around the area. We fell in love with the Wupatki National Monument Indian Ruins NW of Flagstaff off 89. Spent alot of time wandering up and down the trails around the very long loop drive. Even Sedona and the beautiful RedRock canyons blew us away. That place rocks when the Sun is just setting. It too is a very inspiration climbing up on one of the Wupatki National Monument Indian Ruins and waiting for the Sun to set and you can see the all of the colors of the Painted Desert to the East. You can also hear conversations from afar and there is nothing out there. Who knows how far these conversations of kids playings and people talking comes from.

When we was there you walk through a couple of the local Flagstaff area Volcano LAVA shafts under ground and that was something to see. I think they are all closed off now...

You want to drive back East on I40 and see the Meteor Crator as well...

Everyone want to run the 89 road between Sedona and Flaggstaf as well. At the top of it near the Flag side is a great SWAP MEET place and you can find all kinds of Indian things to buy... Running the Apache trail from Apache Junction to the all of the large lakes that all feed the Phoenix valley is another great one day outing.. Superstition Mtn lives up to its name for sure... Everyone needs to eat at the Tortilla Flat restaurant on the trail and go through their shop of things to buy...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stayed there this last Spring and I just drove my pick up to whatever part of the canyon I wanted to see. Along the West rim road I took the shuttle which was a good experience too.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We found the shuttle very usable from Trailer Village in 2011 and it would drop you off at several points along the rim. You will need a vehicle to get you to many of the places such as Watchtower along the east rim as the shuttle didn't go that far east when we were there.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we made reservations for June there. Really looking forward to it.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is true we took the shuttle or drove the Jeep to the Canyon

Shuttle picks u up at the entrance to the campground does not come into the campground - it is a large bus
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks