cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand lake,co

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I have a quick question. I have 2015 f150 pulling a 7000lb travel trailer. I'm coming from Cheyenne to grand lake. Time wise is it faster to take trailridge road from Estes park or go through Boulder? I'm no stranger to mountain driving so that's not an issue. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Trail ridge normally wouldn't be a big deal but this is my first trip with my new rig, 2015 f150 with a 6000lb travel trailer. It'll be a lot different than my dodge cummins. I pulled all over the mountains with it.

Leeknsteam
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Thom02099,
The least stressful route is west from Ft. Collins on Co14 to Walden and then south on Co125 till you hit up with the Grand Lake Rd. Just watch out for moose on the roads early & late.
I really do love that drive!
LDK
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax w/tow package
E2 WD Hitch
2012 Lance TT 1985 w/4-seasons package

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
MMarty wrote:
Ok, That's something new to consider. Our plan is we are are seeing family in Cheyenne then we have a night in ft Collins. Then when are going to grand lake. The only issue I know I have is that my wife gets a little altitude sickness and twisty turny with a camper makes it worse. It's not bad but I still have to hear about it. LOL. I've never been south of Laramie, how much longer would it take to go back around from ft Collins via hwy 14 through poudre river to walden then south?

Taking CO 14 through Poudre Canyon is a beautiful drive, and is quicker than going back up to Laramie and then south to Walden. However, there are a lot of twisties early in the trip. There are two "narrows" that you have to go through, and from the entrance of the canyon up to Poudre Park, there's quite a few curves. But there are no shelf roads to speak of, and guard rails on a goodly part of this early part. There are a few meadow areas lower down, but still twists and turns, primarily until you can closer to Rustic. From there on up it's a calmer drive, not as many of those twists and turns, but more about elevation change. And there are more open areas, meadows that are really beautiful.

And as for elevation change, it's gradual, since you're following the Cache la Poudre River up most of the way. The elevation change gets a bit more when you get up near Chambers Lake all the way to Cameron Pass, which tops out at around 10,200 feet. Still, not a difficult drive at all; I do it frequently, both with and without the trailer. The drop down on the west side is a bit steep, but it's not overly steep or long, and getting down in a lower gear makes it easy. Flattens out quite nicely near the Moose Visitors Center for the Colorado State Forest State Park, a nice place to take a break and stretch your legs.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, That's something new to consider. Our plan is we are are seeing family in Cheyenne then we have a night in ft Collins. Then when are going to grand lake. The only issue I know I have is that my wife gets a little altitude sickness and twisty turny with a camper makes it worse. It's not bad but I still have to hear about it. LOL. I've never been south of Laramie, how much longer would it take to go back around from ft Collins via hwy 14 through poudre river to walden then south?

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leeknsteam wrote:
You might consider going west to Laramie and then on through Walden & Rand on state 125. I haven't been over that road in about 30 years but it's probably quicker & more scenic than fighting Trail Ridge with an RV.

That's actually a very good route from Cheyenne. There is practically no high elevations to deal with, the drive from Laramie to Walden is an easy drive, and heading south from Walden, there's only Willow Creek Pass (around 9700 feet), which is barely noticeable by Colorado pass standards and is not difficult at all. Down hill all the way from the pass to Granby, then a nice drive up to Grand Lake.

Leeknsteam
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider going west to Laramie and then on through Walden & Rand on state 125. I haven't been over that road in about 30 years but it's probably quicker & more scenic than fighting Trail Ridge with an RV.
LDK
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax w/tow package
E2 WD Hitch
2012 Lance TT 1985 w/4-seasons package

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
cruiserjs wrote:
BUT - the highway (34) from LOveland to Estes is under massive construction so expect delays there!! I would go thru' Lyons etc.

Premature. It's not under construction.

A recent meeting was held to make a decision on which of 2 plans to immplement. One plan would have major closures for a shorter period of time, the other plan would have more limited closures and take more time. Both plans are still being discussed with input from Big Thompson Canyon residents, as well as businesses that may be affected.

The initial plan for reconstruction was to start late Spring/early Summer. That has been pushed back so as to not adversely affect this year's tourist season. CDOT plans on making a decision soon on which of the two options is more viable, but actual significant construction won't start this summer. They've been doing some preliminary work on the roadway and continue to do river reconstruction work.

Either way, according to the CDOT meeting, construction is now slated to last until 2019. All of this is likely subject to change if there's a significant weather event that could impact the project, or other information is released by CDOT.

ETA: There is bridge reconstruction work going on just west of Loveland for asphalt curb installation. That is supposed to be completed some time this month; minor traffic delays.

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Ok,i didn't know the road was still being worked on. I'll have to consider that.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
BUT - the highway (34) from LOveland to Estes is under massive construction so expect delays there!! I would go thru' Lyons etc.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren wrote:
Lived in Estes a few years and loved it. Especially Trail Ridge.

I have always not recommended Trail Ridge for rv's, but if you have mountain driving experience I would say to do it with your rig.

Coming from Cheyenne you most likely will hit it midday and will have to put up with the gawkers and scared to deaths of midday and stupids. So it will be slow to the top - west side is more twists and turns which are tighter (some blind) but lighter traffic.

Be safe.

Agree with Lauren. Since you're experienced in mountain driving, the actual DRIVE shouldn't be a problem. Quite a few sharp curves on the west side to be aware of.

Getting up there early is advantageous for sure. Less traffic to deal with.

Another advantage in mid-June -- there's going to still be a goodly amount of snow on the ground, particularly above timberline, where all the looky lou tourists like to stop in the middle of the roadway to gawk. AND...the elk likely won't be very prevalent at the higher elevations with the snow still on the ground. They like to graze in the alpine meadows, and barring a lengthy hot spell (being relative at 11000 feet), they will likely still be in lower elevations. There are some meadows on the way up above timberline where the elk may be gathered, and said looky lous will probably be doing their thing in that area, so be aware of potential traffic backups.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:

I have always not recommended Trail Ridge for rv's, but if you have mountain driving experience I would say to do it with your rig.

Coming from Cheyenne you most likely will hit it midday and will have to put up with the gawkers and scared to deaths of midday and stupids. So it will be slow to the top - west side is more twists and turns which are tighter (some blind) but lighter traffic.

Be safe.

True - if you are able to do the drive early it is less crowded and makes for an easier drive.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer

Be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks, that's what I thought. We are going mid June so hopefully traffic will be the normal mess.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Boulder won't help. You have to go all the way to I-70 and take US-40 over Berthoud pass to Granby. Definitely shorter and quicker to go over Trail Ridge. Trail Ridge is supposed to open Memorial weekend. I have taken my rig over that route. Will be heavy traffic Memorial week if you are going then.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.