cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gulf Coast State Parks.....St Andrews or Grayton

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
My DH and I plan to take our 11 y/o DGD to the beach in early June. We have stayed at Ft Pickens last year and will probably stay there for a couple of days this time but then want to move on down to where there is more to do and the shops and restaurants are closer for several more days. I have researched Topsail (kinda pricey) but very nice looking, St Andrews and Grayton. I have read the reviews on several places but would like some personal reflections from some of you that live in the area or have visited these parks.

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

They are booking up fast for that time period.
23 REPLIES 23

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Having camped at all of them they each offer something and all can be fun. I did St Andrews many years in a row because I loved the view camped along the lagoon and the world class beach. I chose not to go back because the park and the FSP system refuses to do the required maintenance a park that size and busy needs done. It was an absolute disaster for the summer of 2013. I love Henderson Bch because it is laid out so well but it strictly W&E and traffic in Destin is some of the worst in the panhandle. Topsail has way too many rules as mentioned earlier, it is just over the top and having to wait on the tram is not my idea of time well spent at the beach. I am trying Grayton this year because it has a FHU loop, decent campsites, is not nearly as crowded as the others and is close enough to Destin and PCB to enjoy good dining when I want it.

Ditto!

LOL, thought you might say that! See you in Charleston on the 17th.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Having camped at all of them they each offer something and all can be fun. I did St Andrews many years in a row because I loved the view camped along the lagoon and the world class beach. I chose not to go back because the park and the FSP system refuses to do the required maintenance a park that size and busy needs done. It was an absolute disaster for the summer of 2013. I love Henderson Bch because it is laid out so well but it strictly W&E and traffic in Destin is some of the worst in the panhandle. Topsail has way too many rules as mentioned earlier, it is just over the top and having to wait on the tram is not my idea of time well spent at the beach. I am trying Grayton this year because it has a FHU loop, decent campsites, is not nearly as crowded as the others and is close enough to Destin and PCB to enjoy good dining when I want it.

Ditto!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We will be in site 54 April 23-26 at Grayton and site 59 at topsail April 20-23
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If not this time maybe next year. I don't arrive until the 27th.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy we will be there on July 10 though that weekend but if I was there I would let you know. Never can tell we may go back around that time as the park is only about 95 miles from us.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Barren wrote:
We will be at Grayton beach in July. Last summer I drove though St. Andrews I agree needs some maimtence done but still a nice park especially the beach area around the jetties. We have Verizon and didn't have any problems last year. We have camped alot at St Andrews and really like it there decided to go to Grayton this summer for our 24th anniversary. Enjoy your stay at St Andrews and if you get a chance get on the shuttle boat that takes you to shell island. It is across the pass from the park and is a very nice beach and alot of shells to be found.

I will be at Grayton Bch at the end of July. If you are there the last week of the month let me know so I can say hello.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We will be at Grayton beach in July. Last summer I drove though St. Andrews I agree needs some maimtence done but still a nice park especially the beach area around the jetties. We have Verizon and didn't have any problems last year. We have camped alot at St Andrews and really like it there decided to go to Grayton this summer for our 24th anniversary. Enjoy your stay at St Andrews and if you get a chance get on the shuttle boat that takes you to shell island. It is across the pass from the park and is a very nice beach and alot of shells to be found.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote: But how much are you going to some on doing stuff outside the park at St. Andrews? You will pass by all the stuff going into it and the DGD will see it. Will be very hard to tell her no. Lots more at topsail for them to do. And hope it doesn't rain while there. Being stuck inside, that cable tv could be a godsend. Lol

I'm going to blindfold her going in:B.LOL. Has anyone went to the Marine Park there? My biggest spurge would be to let her "swim with the dolphins". This would be her birthday present. Otherwise we plan to just play on the beach and "camp". We will not be eating out a lot and will be cooking at camp, mostly.

BTW I have Verizon wireless, has anyone tried to use it there. Just wondering if it works? This will be more important than the cable TV.:@

Thanks so much for everyone's input. Y'all have been so much help!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We were glad to see the fhu at Grayton. We would of done it without the sewage if needed. We didn't want to do Henderson because of being in all that traffic outside. At topsail, we can choose to go into it if we wanted. We are taking our kayaks with us so we can use at Grayton. That ought to be fun.

And as for waiting for the tram to go to the beach at topsail, they run the same time every hour. Even walking it is very quick and easy.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
tomkaren13 wrote:
We do not like Topsail! To many rules as it is set up like a resort(which it previously was). Almost like do not walk on grass. And the beach is to far away. At least a half mile bike ride then a looong walk to the beach. They do have a tram in place of the bike ride.

Love St Andrews and a short bike ride to beach.

If you do decide to go the Topsail, rather than going to their beach, go out the exit turn right go a couple of miles and you will find public beaches that are very nice.

If I remember correctly, the ride over to the beach area at St. Andrews was about the same as at topsail. Just that you could drive your car to the beach at St. Andrews.

We didn't find too many rules at topsail. Of course we didn't want to put up a tent on the grass. Our only issue was he person with the zoo there. Numerous dogs and birds. I can understand having a dog or two, but when you are putting up a fence with a bunch of yappers.

But I'm glad to see that some find topsail too pricey and too many rules. Wish more would, so it wouldn't be so hard to get a spot. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
littlemo wrote:
wbwood wrote:
How in the world can Topsail be pricey? It's like only $40/night and full hook ups, cable, pool and more. With that said, we've stayed at Topsail (2 years ago) and St Andrews (12 years ago). We much prefer Topsail. We are going back this April and will spend 3 days there and 3 days at Grayton. The only reason for going down to Grayton is because there were not enough nights available at Topsail when we made reservations back in November. Sites were limited. I would be making reservations now if you still can for any of those places. My preference would be Topsail, Grayton and then St Andrews. The only reason for me to pick Grayton over St Andrews (even though we've never been to Grayton) is because of the full hook ups and because it's away from the congestion of PCB.

No, I guess it isn't pricey for the value. I just have to budget a lot to even get to have this vacation. It really is a good price for what you're getting and maybe next time I can stay there. I did get reservations for St Andrews and my DGD is really looking forward to it. It looks like there is a lot there also to keep her busy. I'm excited and can hardly wait! Thanks for input.

Compared to other Florida state parks, it is pricey. Approximately 40% higher in price.

To answer the question, St. Andrews and Panama City seem to draw a younger crowd. There may be more things for your granddaughter to do there. Personally, I like Grayton Beach better (short walk to ocean) but there is not much to do except enjoy the beaches and relax. Not an ideal mix for a teenager.

But how much are you going to some on doing stuff outside the park at St. Andrews? You will pass by all the stuff going into it and the DGD will see it. Will be very hard to tell her no. Lots more at topsail for them to do. And hope it doesn't rain while there. Being stuck inside, that cable tv could be a godsend. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like Grayton Beach the best. Site #10 is our fav, but we B camp, so we don't need a bunch of space. Close enough to the hustle bustle, but yet far enough away. Best check for reservations as most Gulf area campgrounds fill fast, if not already.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I am going to make a strong vote for St. Andrews. We have stayed at all of the parks mentioned in this thread. Our favorites remain Ft. Pickens and St. Andrews. We have stayed at St. Andrews beginning in our tent camping and though four different fifth-wheels. It is far different now than when we first sent there and the ranger said, just drive through and pick out your site, come back and let us know.

The only problem with St. Andrews now is that reservations in the Spring are almost impossible. Regulars and Locals are waiting at the gate (on line) when reservations become active by date. I've had to give up several times.

BTW the ideal sites are 106-113 in the Lagoon area at St. Andrews.

Thanks for the input. I also love Fort Pickens. I have booked a couple of nights there and then I booked the rest of the week at St Andrews where I think there will be enough stuff to keep DGD busy. The only site available for us in June was 174. It has a view of the Lagoon but seems pretty shady and I think it will meet our needs. I feel lucky to have gotten it. I'm exited and I appreciate everyone's input...Thanks