cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cherry Hill Park D.C. 4th of July 2014

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at Cherry Hill Park from July 2nd to the 7th and want to see the 4th of July Celebration somewhere in D.C.

I am looking for suggestions on where to go AND GET BACK to see the Fireworks. I would like to be able to take pictures.

I DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE MY OWN VEHICLE.... LOL

Thanks for your time....
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH
10 REPLIES 10

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Up&DownDeCoast wrote:
Get there early and hang around after the show for a good while. Metro will be packed beyond belief at least 90 mins after the show.

I forgot to mention, and this reminded me... We have the free Smithsonian museums in DC. They are all amazing and cover a wide range of topics. Did I mention that they are AIR CONDITIONED too?

It might not be a bad idea to come down a couple hours early to avoid some of the late rush and enjoy a museum (and cold AC) before you head out to see the fireworks.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Best places to see the fireworks are:
1)The Mall between the Capital and the Washington Monument.
2)The reflecting pool between the WWII Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial.
3)The Eclipse behind the White House.
I believe all three places you will clearly see the fireworks up close and hear accompaniment by The National Symphony Orchestra.

Metro is the only way to travel. Don't even think about driving. This event draws around 700,000 people It will be very very very crowded. Oh did i mention it would be crowded? Get there early and hang around after the show for a good while. Metro will be packed beyond belief at least 90 mins after the show.

But its a great show, only second to NYC. Well worth seeing at least once.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for all the input.... It will help
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet that Cherry Hill has all the info you would need. Call ahead and inquire. This place caters to the area and its visitors. About as good as it gets for the area. we completely enjoyed our visit and I contribute this to the park for how it handles visitors Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

puttd
Explorer
Explorer
And, plan on amazingly, stuffed to the gills or worse metro trains for an hour + after the show. Chill for a while and figure that you will be getting home very late. Bring plenty of beverages and sunscreen. It's hot and humid.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a kid growing up in the area, we always used to pack deli sandwiches and bottles of water and head to the Washington monument. We would get there well ahead of time (they used to have concerts nearby too) set up a spot to sit and eat/enjoy music and wait for the fireworks.

Its been 15 years at least since I have been down there, so I can't promise the music or ability to bring water, etc. Just about anywhere on the National Mall will be a great place to see from. The buildings aren't very tall, so you should have unobstructed views.

If I remember correctly, you would take the bus from the park to College Park Metro station (or drive there, only a couple miles) and take the green line to the red line and then the red line to the Metro Center exit. Its a couple minutes walk from there.

For those not familiar with the DC Metro system, its not like a standard subway with lots of stops. The stops are usually pretty far spread out.

DC in July is VERY hot and humid. It will be close to unbearable. Make sure you have comfy shoes, plenty of water and loose fitting breathable clothes.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a
Metro Map. Its clean, safe and fast. There's a whole other city under Washington D.C.
Restaurants, snack bars, liquor stores, movie theaters, and a stop at the Smithsonian, not to be missed. For your own sanity, you don't want to drive. There's no place to park, anyway.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
Bus stops at the front gate, you can purchase fare tickets prior to riding the bus. The bus has a stop at a Metro station. Can't help you out as to actually where to see the celebration but the bus and Metro will get you going. The Washington Metro is easy to use. You can go online and order SmarTriptickets. Will help in using the Metro.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Take the Metro train. http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm and http://www.cherryhillpark.com/index.cfm/action/home.transportation

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Cherry Hill has a bus to take you. Might check with them.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter