cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gulf State Park and Going To The Beach

PMiller228
Explorer
Explorer
We usually go to Topsail Hill SP in Destin and can choose between a tram or riding bicycles to get to the beach. The beach is around 3/4 of a mile from the campground.

We are going to Gulf State Park for the first time next month and wanted to know how others go to the beach. Didn't know if people rode their bikes or drove and parked somewhere.

Looking forward to going. Looks like a nice CG.

Thanks
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab w/ 6.7L Cummins
2017 Coachman Chapparal 390QSMB
Me, Wife, & 3 Boys
8 REPLIES 8

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge was done when I was there in April. Its not that close to the campground though. There is a place to park your bike and walk across the street to the beach that is much closer than the bridge.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge is for the bike path and should be open by now. There is nothing wrong with the beach right at the intersection, you just need to walk across the 4 lane.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have ridden our bikes and have taken our truck to the pavillion to get on the beach. When we were there last year, they were starting to construct some type of crossing, at the intersection, but we were not able to tell exactly what they were doing. Parking at the pavillion is included in the price of camping, so there is no extra charge.

We also were there several years ago and when we arrived with our then 3 year old, a neighbor came out to warn us about a rather large gator that had taken up residence in his row boat that was in Middle Lake. It was about 30 yds from our camper, so we were very aware of it whenever our daughter left the RV. The man said that if the gator really wanted his boat, when he left, the boat would remain. The gator gave up possession a couple of days later.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last summer and just loaded up the truck and drove to the pavilion parking lot.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

PMiller228
Explorer
Explorer
williams1989 wrote:
We too are Topsail fans, but have also visited Gulf State. We opted using vehicle to get to beach..usually plenty of parking at Gulf State Public Pavilion, also nice restrooms, and changing area if needed.

I got on the Google satellite view and saw the pavilion location and all the parking. That sounds like the plan. Thanks
Me, Wife, & 3 Boys

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
We too are Topsail fans, but have also visited Gulf State. We opted using vehicle to get to beach..usually plenty of parking at Gulf State Public Pavilion, also nice restrooms, and changing area if needed.
Happy Camping and Safe Travels!
The Williams Family

PMiller228
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We were there years and years ago before the hurricane wiped out all the trees. As I recall, from our campsite to the beach, it was a drive via auto.

We tried the beach, but couldn't get in the water. There was a jelly fish outbreak and they were not letting anyone in the water.

So we went back to the camper. On the one side of the park was a lake. It had a brown-red color in the water. Quite beautiful. It was fresh water with a hint of salt. We all decided to just go swimming there. This was August and the weather was like 110 degrees, we were in a pop-up with no air conditioner.

We had a great time splashing and playing in the water. So refreshing, so wonderful.

Next day we were at the gate house and the lady asked us if we'd seen the alligators? Um? Alligators? She said yes. Up the road, around a curve was a culvert and a family of alligators lived there. She said the alligators swim the small channels connecting all the little fresh water lakes here and swim from lake to lake. She said, whatever you do, don't go into any of the lakes around the campground. You never know when an alligator will be in the water and you won't see it till it too late.

Um.... OK! (swallow, swallow, swallow) .... Thank-you!

Yikes! That's scary! I remember when we first started camping at Topsail in Destin they had a small alligator that was in the small lake within the campground. Apparently people were feeding it because it would swim right up to you at the edge of the water.
Me, Wife, & 3 Boys

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We were there years and years ago before the hurricane wiped out all the trees. As I recall, from our campsite to the beach, it was a drive via auto.

We tried the beach, but couldn't get in the water. There was a jelly fish outbreak and they were not letting anyone in the water.

So we went back to the camper. On the one side of the park was a lake. It had a brown-red color in the water. Quite beautiful. It was fresh water with a hint of salt. We all decided to just go swimming there. This was August and the weather was like 110 degrees, we were in a pop-up with no air conditioner.

We had a great time splashing and playing in the water. So refreshing, so wonderful.

Next day we were at the gate house and the lady asked us if we'd seen the alligators? Um? Alligators? She said yes. Up the road, around a curve was a culvert and a family of alligators lived there. She said the alligators swim the small channels connecting all the little fresh water lakes here and swim from lake to lake. She said, whatever you do, don't go into any of the lakes around the campground. You never know when an alligator will be in the water and you won't see it till it too late.

Um.... OK! (swallow, swallow, swallow) .... Thank-you!