cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you stayed at John Pennekamp SP Site 15

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Question for anyone who has stayed at Site 15 at John Pennekamp State Park, Marathon, Florida and/or anyone who is currently there:

How tight is the site? It is listed at 48' x 16', but I noticed this disclaimer:

"This site is narrower and may not accommodate some slide-outs and awnings. Please call the park to make sure your rig fits. Both 30 and 50 Amp electrical hookups are available at this site."

We know that ReserveAmerica sometimes "fudges" on site limitation).

If you've stayed on this site, let me know your experience.

If you're at Pennekamp now (or in the next couple weeks) and can lay eyes on the site, please let me know what's there and if they can get out at least one side slide.

Thanks in advance.

jHalf
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!
28 REPLIES 28

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
38 x 13 should be no problem for you, Southedistoman. It would be a little tight for us getting into our bays and such, but still do-able.

I talked to the park manager and he said that the dimensions are as listed on R/A (though I'm not sure if the picnic table takes up part of that space). He said they trim overhead to a height of 14'. Most ac's will clear that.

Yes, please do let us know what you learn I'm leaning toward cancelling, but t's so hard to get a spot there.)
It's his Super Power!

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, this is making me nervous. I'm booked on that site (15 48'x16') for four nights in June. My rig is 38 feet long and 13 feet wide with the slide out. I wasn't too concerned because the shed I park under is 17.5' x 40', and I have no problem getting in there with room to spare. I think I'll call the park office and get their opinion, will report back with what they say.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Pennekamp 87 times (haven't counted the number of nights), and I'm going there in another week and a half. Since someone posted a picture, you should have the info you were looking for. In a number of their sites, you might have problems if you have slide outs on both sides of your RV. More sites probably have issues with a slide out on one side and an awning on the other side. Some sites just aren't wide enough for some of those RVs.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I guess I worded that funnily. I really meant to ask if there was anyone there (anywhere at Pennekamp) or who would be there in the next several weeks who could lay eyes on the site and/or send me a photo.

Thanks again, Dennis. You rock!
It's his Super Power!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
What are the odds of someone now staying, or having stayed, at a particular site in a particular campground?

Now I am a believer...

:W:W:W.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
You're welcome! Also, if you find it's a little tight, talk to the rangers. We found them to be very accommodating. DO NOT trim their trees...they are pretty adamant about that...OTOH, if you ask THEM, they will send someone out to trim them for you...enjoy your stay...Dennis

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Dennis. That helps ALOT. Looks like we'll be able to fit width and height, no problem.

Might have to park the tow'd down at the marina if it won't fit sideways without being in the road though.

See...RVers come through for each other!

(And you're right, Steeljag, Pennekamp an/at/on in Key Largo.)
It's his Super Power!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay at john Pennekamp, (It is in Key largo) every winter and had three stays there this year.
We just left two weeks ago.

That site is one that we have marked off as not desirable.

With that said; You can squeeze into just about any site there.
We have watched humongous motor homes and fifth wheelers get into some sites that I have trouble getting my 25' travel trailer in.

If you want tight quarters go for it.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
Try this
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/John-Pennekamp-State-Park

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - This park is in key largo, not Marathon.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Cant' comment on a specific site but be careful of the huge rocks (if still there!) that marked out the sites when we were there a few years back. Hubby turned too quick and because they are low when in the MH, couldn't see them forgot about it being there and we got a nice scrape along the basement doors. Just heads up, check very carefully when leaving, as after several days just didn't think about it pulling out, although upon arrival were conscious of it.

We enjoyed our just under a week there. If you are going to snorkel/swim from the shore there make sure you wear good water shoes, tore our feet up when first went in without them. Just saying.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here ya go:....Dennis

John Pennekamp Site 15

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
100%

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What are the odds of someone now staying, or having stayed, at a particular site in a particular campground?

Now I am a believer...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)