cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heading to key west florida boondock questions

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
we are heading to key west florida in a few days and only plan on a short day or two visit, does anyone know of a place to boondock and just spend a night in our rv (roadtrek agile 19' van)
actually anwhere between key largo and key west, we just want to spend a few days exploring.

any help is appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Impossible. If you do it and don't get caught you will be lucky.
Many Walmarts in Fl don't allow overnighting.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
NanciL wrote:
No way.
There is no overnight parking any where on the Keys
I winter there every year and they are very firm on it.

Jack L

X2. If you try it, bring money for fines.
Neither of the above are kidding and the fine is NOT cheap. They like to knock on the door around 3am hand you an expensive citation and give you 15 minutes to vacate the area. Monroe County has a very strict overnight parking ordinance and they aggressively enforce it during the winter tourist season.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
No way.

Jack L

X2. If you try it, bring money for fines.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
No way.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
You'd almost be better off seeking out a large marina parking lot and just pulling in like you're parking there while "working" on your boat. Or maybe stopping in a larger town like Marathon and parking on a side street, possibly asking a homeowner if it's ok to park on the street near their house over night. During the day just go down to Key West and find some street parking 4-5 blocks from Duval Street or maybe a beach parking lot during the day. Left or right off Truman Avenue, a main street heading down to Duval Street, has free street parking. We camped up in Marathon and drove down to KW and parked in the area I mentioned. Walked back to our vehicle in the evening. No problem.

Overnights may still be a problem, but I don't think the local law enforcement will allow you to just pull over along the Hwy 1 for the night. Look like you "belong" there.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
After reading years of reports on KW, I think it's the last place you want to try to dry camp.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I used to see people tent camping there. Guess things have changed. I don't know where my buddy spent his nights.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those beach access sites are littered with "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING!" signs

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you can find beach spots along the highway, big enough for your van. At least that used to be the case. I have a friend who did it as recently as a couple of years ago. Someone will probably chime in with specific spots. But in general, yes, I think you will be good.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you can forget about boondocking or overnight parking in the Keys. There is a Walmart in Largo and another in Key West but I would be surprised if they allowed over-nighting.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper