cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to do google search on camping along a certain highway.

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
I know how to search a certain location for camping.Lets say I'm leaving Indianapolis and wish to get to Route 66 and go to Oklahoma(central). I wish to never be on interstate but back country highways. How would a person search a specific route when it doesn't matter where you pull up for the night. No walmart or other parking lots is desired. Rest areas and actual camp grounds is what I want. I know it's not a simple request. Thanks to any who takes the time to think about it and answer.
Almost free Jerry
15 REPLIES 15

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just open a google map - pick any town along your route to open the map up on. Once it is opened up then just type in RV PARKS or RV CAMPGROUND in the search window. This will show all of those places along the MAP route.

I too will use SAT VIEW to check out possible boon-docking locations...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
phoneguy1212 wrote:
Rest areas and actual camp grounds is what I want.

If you're looking for campgrounds, I use this source to located NFS, NPS, BLM, SP, and other public CG's (it also shows private CG's). Just type in a city name. You can then pan the view along the route you want to travel. Campground Map
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to find a site better than this one.

click here

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the great info. I ended up with Microsoft streets&trips 2013. I watched a quick info video on the software and looks like it will do everything I was looking for. I wanted to be able to sit and plan my route and stops instead of just punching in the address into a GPS and as traveling hit popular sites, I wanted to know before I got in the area first. Again thanks everyone,as usual always check here first. OH it was free to me, now have to see if I can get add-on gps dongle to go with it. Looks like a usb flash stick with software is all. Happy Trails
Almost free Jerry

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a member of Good Sam, you can also do trip route. It will give you a list of campgrounds/rv parks along the route.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
I really thank all for the quick responses to my request. I know that most of the route 66 is decommissioned but my mom lives on hywy 66 in Oklahoma and I'm in Indy. It's just a test thing so I can figure out a way to search for routes and stuff. I never want to be on an interstate but highways that go through little cottages is fine. I've used google earth before didn't know about the maps. I apologize for being a troll, but this is how we learn. If there are programs, I'll hunt those also. I can use pirate bay to find them for free. Again thanks all and keep 'em comming.
Almost free Jerry

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
phoneguy1212 wrote:
Lets say I'm leaving Indianapolis and wish to get to Route 66 and go to Oklahoma(central).
Jerry, is this a hypothetical question? I ask because of the way you phrased this and since 66 is mostly freeway and tollway now.
LS

The main reason you search doesn't work is US-66 no longer exists. It was decommissioned a few decades ago and replaced with Interstate highways.

Remnants of "the Mother Road" can still be found and there are many websites dedicated to "Historic 66".
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps will list campgrounds along the route.

Pull up Google Maps
Type in your destination city, hit enter.
When the map of the city comes up
In the left hand column, in the "Search Nearby" box type in campgrounds and hit enter
Campgrounds will be listed and as you move the page back towards your starting city the list of campgrounds will update.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
phoneguy1212 wrote:
Lets say I'm leaving Indianapolis and wish to get to Route 66 and go to Oklahoma(central).

Jerry, is this a hypothetical question? I ask because of the way you phrased this and since 66 is mostly freeway and tollway now.

Pick your start/end point and then, under options in, say, Google Maps, select avoid freeways (or whatever term they use). Next, decide how many hours you want to drive, Then use some or all of the above advice to search that area. Also, if you are looking for rest areas you can overnight in, check each state's department of transportation website for maps and rules for overnighting.

Have fun!

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
x2 RVparky app

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
rvparky is a great way to find RV parks and rest areas along the way. And rvparkreviews.com is a great way to find user comments about those parks.
I use google maps to check out smaller highways. I use it to find possible routes from point A to point B, then use google street view and/or satellite view to view the size and condition of those highways.
Another feature of google maps is their flyover. When you select directions from point A to point B there will be a small "3D" button beside "Driving directions to ____". Click on that button and you will get a complete fly over from start to finish. You can pause along the way and zoom in for a more detailed local view.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
RVparky app or .com website. Put in a location, it will display campgrounds in the area. Move our wooden the app, more cg's appear.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It takes time, but I will use Google maps satellite view to find wide spots on the road, or possible pullout areas. Then use the little man to 'drive' the area and check it out further.

If I find something promising I'll grab its lat/lon, and put that in the Garmin. Be sure to get several as most of them do not work out - with being hilly or steep is the usual reason.

Of course this advice is moot if you're looking for a campground, but since you posted in Public lands, I thought that's what you wanted.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman