cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I hope that no one has a camper in the Rio Grand Valley now:

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....there could be a tremendous quantity of rain coming for the RGV Friday/Saturday. I hope this doesn't materialize!
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou
57 REPLIES 57

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Silversand, "... best outcome for you all." Amen. Thank you for starting this thread early on, because it has allowed people affected directly or indirectly by the storm to vent their feelings while, at the same time, independently getting important information from local government officials. (By the way, you're always going to have a mosquito or two flying around, but wish they could suck fat and not blood! LOL!).

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Spin it anyway you like. The Subject shows concern for property in a specific area. The thread wandered all over the place from people bragging about their expertise or experience with past hurricanes in foreign countries. There are other threads about Harvey which make sense and may even be helpful to people in Texas. The campers in the RGV remained upright. No worry.

My point is that it is spreading fear for amateurs on the Internet to get in the hurricane predicting business no matter how experienced they are. Simply checking the National Weather Service forecast for the RGV would have told people that their precious camper stored in McAllen,Texas was going to be okay.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Disk Doctor wrote:
Regardless of tone, past political positions, even arguments, know that all of us are on your side. We pray and hope for safety and only the best outcome for you all!

Well said.

I started this thread early on in the progress of Harvey, where numerous model members were showing not certainty, but a fair chance that Harvey would strike the RGV...over time (24 hours), the ensemble became far more certain that the "strike" would be near where it happened. So, a simple and unambiguous title. Some want to read more into it, that's OK.

This Forum has a very heavy winter winter RVing membership in the Texas RGV, with a few outliers in more northerly sectors. Thus my question.

Just to be clear: I have 3 family members living in Texas (for the past 30+ years), so I have a major stake in their outcome, because 2 of them live in badly affected areas. However, as Disk Doctor writes, " know that all of us are on your side. We pray and hope for safety and only the best outcome for you all!"

Cheers,
Silver-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I tried that approach...

It wasn't just you, Tom. Understandably, the folks in harm's way are on edge and are entitled to be.

Under different circumstances it would be better: "Fortunately RGV isn't in as much danger as it may appear from the reports...blah blah"

But this isn't just a normal discussion or debate, there are real lives and homes at risk. Many people forget that- especially when watching it on TV.

I would encourage everyone to avoid the back and forth posturing that is prevalent on a lot of forums and concentrate on offering info, correcting info (respectfully), and offering prayers and help as much as possible.

People- possibly people we know personally or even on this forum- are going to die. Others are going to lose everything they have. It is inevitable. It will be a life changing event for many unfortunate souls.

So I am reminding everyone that this event is far from over. The flooding and destruction and threat to lives is far from over. The original forecast called for rainfall and flooding events in this area of the hurricane AT LEAST through Wednesday. That is nearly FIVE DAYS AWAY.

Regardless of tone, past political positions, even arguments, know that all of us are on your side. We pray and hope for safety and only the best outcome for you all!

You have our support. Be safe and Godspeed!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
For those who think that I was inconsiderate or mean to people on this thread, please read the title again, "I hope that no one has a camper in the Rio Grand Valley now"

If it had said, "I hope our friends in the RGV don't have a problem with the hurricane" I would not have said a word. Why was the OP only concerned with property? If the thread had been titled, "I hope no one in Texas has a problem with the hurricane". I would not have said a word. Fear and misinformation is not what people in danger need to hear. I understand that not everyone knows exactly what constitutes the RGV. That became very obvious.

By the way, all the "RV's" in the RGV survived.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
It's truly a shame when a thread is started to show concern for fellow campers who may be in a hurricane's path but it is turned into "I am the expert and nobody else knows anything" contest.

There are tactful and polite ways to offer additional information or corrections.

Prayers to all those affected by the Hurricane now and in the upcoming DAYS it is supposed to linger.

I tried that approach and was ridiculed. I was told that flooding 200 miles away was going to get us anyway. People were throwing around names, numbers, and locations like it did not matter who or where the hurricane was actually headed. It mattered.

If people announce that a hurricane is going to hit Washington D.C. and it actual hits New York City, people would be upset.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
...snip........
I can see how Silversand could see the RGV as the only snowbird destination in Texas if his main source of information was this forum. It gets a lot of press. He had a valid concern, and you take it as a slap in the face to your beloved area.
....snip.......

I often point out on these forums that the biggest single advantage of the RGV is that it is much cheaper than similar places around the country. I am quick to point out that it is dirty, windy, and cheap. I read that your affection and justification for choosing a cooler destination as more an example of "beloved"

The only reason I posted on this thread was that it was misleading to people who might think their property and friends in the RGV were in imminent danger. Accurate information is important at times like this. Two hundred miles is a long ways off, even in Texas. Facts.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
It's truly a shame when a thread is started to show concern for fellow campers who may be in a hurricane's path but it is turned into "I am the expert and nobody else knows anything" contest.

There are tactful and polite ways to offer additional information or corrections.

Prayers to all those affected by the Hurricane now and in the upcoming DAYS it is supposed to linger.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Currently sunny skies and 8 mph breeze in Mission, 80 degrees.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
How can an Island be called called a Valley? That is silly. An island is an island. A valley is a valley.

I will take 60 degrees over 55 degrees any time.

I was not bothered by anything but the pontificating by someone who thinks they are the only one who knows "The truth of the matter". I was mocking such a person.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:

The truth of the matter is there is a ton of Snowbirds all the way up the coast from South Padre Island to Galveston Island/Bolivar Peninsula.

The truth of the matter is that for every mile one goes south in Texas, the warmer the average winter temperatures. Sometimes even the RGV is not warm enough. Another truth is that there is only one area commonly called the RGV. It is not Corpus Christi. It is not Padre Island. Thirdly, anyone who winters anywhere in Texas is a Winter Texan and welcome to the party.

Uff-da

Yes, every mile you go south it gets warmer. For those that enjoy the 60's and 70's the shoulder season in the RGV can be unbearable.

Yes, when the RGV is having a crappy winter it really doesn't matter much where you are, you'll be inside. Guess the trick is to have enough things to occupy your time. 200+ miles north of the RGV will be 5-10 degrees cooler. So 55 and rainy in the RGV will be 50 and rainy in Port Aransas.

Nope, SPI is known as the lower Valley. Locals like to say it's the riff-raff from the upper Valley that are the trouble makers during spring break.

I can see how Silversand could see the RGV as the only snowbird destination in Texas if his main source of information was this forum. It gets a lot of press. He had a valid concern, and you take it as a slap in the face to your beloved area.

Yes, a person is called a Winter Texan when they arrive. It is a very welcoming area and the people for the most part are very kind and helpful. It's up to the snowbird if they hang their cowboy hat on that nail or not.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What fools people is that Texas is so big. When somebody mentions something happening in Texas, our friends back home think it must involve us. Harvey is over two hundred miles away from the RGV for instance. In some parts of the country that would be three states away. Anything can happen but we have had very little much needed rain here in the RGV.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent last winter in Rockport and saw what just an inch of rain does. It goes away fast, but the entire inch of rain is on top of the soil and you slosh around in it. Would not be there right now under any circumstances. Wishing for the best for anyone who chooses to stay anywhere it will affect.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

The truth of the matter is there is a ton of Snowbirds all the way up the coast from South Padre Island to Galveston Island/Bolivar Peninsula.

The truth of the matter is that for every mile one goes south in Texas, the warmer the average winter temperatures. Sometimes even the RGV is not warm enough. Another truth is that there is only one area commonly called the RGV. It is not Corpus Christi. It is not Padre Island. Thirdly, anyone who winters anywhere in Texas is a Winter Texan and welcome to the party.