cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If we don't go to CO for trout, where do we go?

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the horrendous wild fires in CO, we are rethinking our 6 week vacation destination. Any ideas or input?

1. Good trout fishing - river or lake
2. Not too many biting bugs
3. Cooler temperatures
4. A good 'resort' style RV park
5. Starting from Las Vegas

Any thoughts?
25 REPLIES 25

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
White River in Arkansas?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Sarah315
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:
Bull Shoals state park in Arkansas

My favorite place to fish for trout, since 1974. Place hasn't changed a bit.
Just the 4 of us
plus 3 dogs
2011 Dodge Ram 3500
09 Jayco 31.5 FBHS

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Reno I would head to Tahoe and the area south and south west of the lake along Hwy 395 in the eastern sierras. The 7,000 plus elevations takes care of the heat and lots of lakes with very good fishing (Topaz, Bridgeport, Twin Lakes, June Lake, Collins, Crowley, etc. etc.), and all with very short drive times.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I,m in south west Colorado. We were in South Fork Fun Valley rv park. We are setting in Monte Vista just waiting. Problem wirh the area is everything is full of other people waiting. Beatle kill and drought is killing the area.pray for rain!
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
I could add the Eastern sierra to the mix. Western Montana is also a great place to visit. I have to admit Idaho is a great place to visit as well.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the Miracle Mile is a stretch after, I think, Kortes Reservoir, and before Pathfinder and has great fishing for Trout but I was also talking about the river below Alcova down to Casper which has developed into a great stream for blue ribbon trout fishing. Go to trib.com and take a look at the article about the Platte fishing in the June 23rd edition.
John A. Lichty

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all - you have given me a great selection of choices - my rod hand is twitching in anticipation!

I booked a week at Wagonhammer, North Fork ID as a starting point. I used Google Street View to research the area and the river looks just perfect for what I am looking for. From there we have several choices thanks to you all ๐Ÿ™‚

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
The North Platte section is called the Miracle Mile. Famous and very secluded. The three lakes, Seminole, Pathfinder, and Alcova on the Platte river are very good. they also have walleye. I fished the green river today and caught cuttys, browns, brooks, and a first a white fish.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
The high mountain lakes and streams of the Beartooth Absaroka Wilderness area. No wheeled travel, so you have to have either good shoes or a good horse. Even if you never catch a fish, the scenery is beyond breathtaking.

Thurbersfolks
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Metolious River, Camp Sherman and half a dozen camp grounds near there along the river near Sisters Oregon or Suttle Lake on that same pass. Great area. You can't beat the Cascades in Oregon.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
havasu wrote:
Due to the horrendous wild fires in CO, we are rethinking our 6 week vacation destination. Any ideas or input?

1. Good trout fishing - river or lake
2. Not too many biting bugs
3. Cooler temperatures
4. A good 'resort' style RV park
5. Starting from Las Vegas

Any thoughts?

Take a look at this recent post on a park in Idaho -- it looks to me if you can't catch a fish here or in the area you must have forgotten the hook.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26948392/gotomsg/26981001.cfm#26981001

If the place is like the pictures it fit's my description of a high mountain RESORT.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Shoals state park in Arkansas

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
First pick: Tail waters of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir on the Green River. North east section of Utah and a well known and productive fishery. The place is absolutely stunning as well.

Second pick: Tail waters of the Navajo Reservoir on the San Juan River in north west New Mexico. Also a very productive fishery.
I love me some land yachting

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
The North Platte River between Seminoe Reservoir and Casper, Wyoming has some of the best Blue Ribbon Trout fishing in the north american continent. I don't fish it, but have heard reports of the number of trout being way above the number needed to determine that a stream is Blue Ribbon. No campground out that way, but two or three in Casper and it's a fairly short trip to the river. There are a number of river guides that will float you down the river and let you fish as well. Go to the Casper Chamber of Commerce site and take a look.
John A. Lichty