cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loading up in cold weather

Retdep
Explorer
Explorer
We are not full timers. The last couple of seasons, we have gone south in Sept. or early Oct. The temperature has never been an issue. Due to some medical issues, our departure has been dealyed and we are leaving in about 10 days. It will be quite chilly when we pack up to go.

My question is how do those that leave in cold weather pack up the RV? I mean clothing, food, toiletries and other items you don't have two of and take back and forth between house and RV.

My plan is to crank up the genny and Aqua Hot for half an hour, start the motor and drive from storage to the house. Let the heat run and warm things up inside. Then open one slide so we have easy access to fridge, closets etc. Pack stuff into MH. Hook up toad and close everything up to leave the next day.

Is this a reasonable plan? Have I overlooked anything?
2019 Winnebago View
2016 Ford Focus Toad
9 REPLIES 9

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We usually head for Texas in mid Feb. Never had a problem, just turn on the heat in the MH and pack it the day before. We leave it winterized until we get to southern Mo. then dewinterize and head on south.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Just a word of caution regarding the slides. One year I made the mistake of leaving the slides out and then we had some snow. I thought that the wise move would be to turn the on the heat in the RV to melt it, the result was that the snow turned to ice! I ended up connecting our water hose to a hot water faucet and this melted the ice off the slide tops.

It's probably best to leave the slides closed as soon as you finish packing!

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
We upped our departure time 2 weeks. Not enough. Told wife I'm leaving first of November next year.

I'm with you! Last year we hooked up and headed south in late December. Had to break ice off the tops of the slides and then un-freeze my hitch first.

This year we were heading to TN the first week of December and then wait until Christmas day to head on toward SW Florida. Now we are going to get 20 degree temps in central Illinois with possible snow next Monday!

For sure next year we are out of here in early November.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Our last 2 winter trips south (only 2) both started out in January here in Michigan. It's been very cold both times. Once I got the 5ver home I first used an electric space heater to warm up the interior, but kept the temp in the low 50's. I also used the furnace, but to a lesser extent. The fridge was fine on electric and switched over to gas a day before leaving.

Once on the road I don't worry about food stuffs getting real cold, but since we usually only have one day and maybe one night below freezing it's not a big deal. We have moteled it the first night out in either KY or TN and were able to dewinterize the end of the 2nd day on the road. If the weather was really cold while at the motel I've cranked the furnace up to about 70 or so and then shutting it off before going to bed. The first year we went south it got down to 17F in Bowling Green, KY so the first thing I did in the morning was to turn the furnace back on for about 20-30 minutes. We had a 7 gallon water container sitting in one of the sinks and while I did place a blanket over it, it never froze. If there's anything we are really worried about freezing we place it in our tow vehicle and/or take it into the motel that first night.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
We upped our departure time 2 weeks. Not enough. Told wife I'm leaving first of November next year.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

qhor
Explorer
Explorer
We can relate. We usually leave in early January and pass right through Sioux Falls on our way south.
Our routine, because the unit is winterized now, is to pack and hang the cloths, tools and non-freezables, anytime before leaving. We leave here with no water on board, freezables in carry bags, and always Motel the first night out. We do not carry much food through the border, and grocery shop at our first camping spot, where we take on water and are ready to camp.
They morning we leave,we warm up the vehicle, throw in the freezables, head south and hope for a 3 or 4 day window of decent weather.

Happy travels
Barry

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Given the very nasty weather conditions taking place right now where you live, and the fact those conditions will move south all the way to south Texas and the East Coast, and linger for at least a week, is your plan for leaving timely? I recognize you said leaving in 10 days, but will the weather be clear then? Can you/will you be able to find open CGs during your migration south or will you boondock on the way? Do you have enough cold weather gear on your travel list? Wishing you a good outcome and be safe. Bob

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just add is make sure your bay locks are unlocked and bay doors propped open the night before you leave.

I loaded the inside of my MH the night before departure and was going to load the bays the next morning. Only thing was there was an unexpected snow storm that turned into an ice storm that night and ALL my bay doors where frozen shut and locks froze solid. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Oh ya, and don't put lock deicer in the locks.

Yes it opened my locks but when I stopped for my first fueling stop when I got out I had GIANT streaks of black stuff up and all over both sides of my MH up and over the roof! Darn stuff has black graphite it in.

My fix for all that was to never leave for Florida that late ever ever again. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I think your plan is reasonable. It's what we would be doing if we were still living in our former home (where it's 27 degrees right now). Keeping the rig warm, the fridge going overnight shouldn't be a problem, other than it eats up electricity/propane. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend