Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for recommendations on Campgrounds in S. Utahand

GDC
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

We are planning our summer vacation and are looking for recommendation for Full Hookup campgrounds near Bryce canyon /Zion National park as well as campgrounds in the Moab area. I searched on full hookup sites in S. Utah but didn't really get any useful results

We are planning to camp near Bryce for a few days and do day trips, then move on to the Moab area for a few days before heading back to PA. We would also be interested in any recommendations on places to see as well.

Thanks
Greg
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2006 Coachmen Freedom 314SO
Dingy - 2002 Chevy Tracker, aka "The Buggy"
18 REPLIES 18

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
GDC wrote:
...X3, definitely, do not pass up Zion, even if you only have 1 day. The place is beautiful and trust me, you'll be planning a trip back....

This is what I keep hearing and the reason for the day trip. If I have to drop a location from my itinerary, Zion will be it though. My thinking on the day trip is that I can trade driving time in the toad for an longer driving time and additional camp setup and tear down with the motorhome (isn't this one reason why we bring toads?).

The heat is another reason we were thinking of staying close to Bryce. Published average annual temperatures in the Bryce Canyon area are 10-15 degrees cooler than those for Zion.

Thank you all for the Campground recomendations.

The general impression I am getting is that if I can't stay in or near one of these parks I should not go. Unfortunately We are not able to this.

I think I phrased my second question poorly so I will try again. Due to the heat issue, additional outside constraints, and the fact that for this trip, Bryce Canyon is a designated "must see" and Zion is a "nice to see since we are in the area" we will be staying in the Bryce canyon area and utilize the investment we made in a toad to do a day trip to Zion. This is not negotiable, it is what it is.

Can anyone comment on road / driving conditions between say Panguitch, UT and Zion NP or Cannonville, UT and Zion NP?

Also is the route 12 scenic byway appropriate to use on the drive back to Moab with a 31ft motorhome towing a Chevy Tracker?

Thanks for the input

Greg

I certainly understand your dilemma, you've got a certain amount of time and you want to make the best of what you've got. If you can't make Zion, you won't be disappointed with Bryce, its beautiful too. Very surreal place. As far as temperatures go, I think Bryce is typically cooler because its a bit higher in elevation. Plus the majority of Zion is actually down in the canyon, which probably affects the temps too. But even if you can make a day trip with the toad, definitely do that.
If you can't stay in or near the park, then stay where you want, and still go enjoy the park. You'll still enjoy the scenery during the commute. Good luck, wish we were going with you!
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
GDC wrote:

Can anyone comment on road / driving conditions between say Panguitch, UT and Zion NP or Cannonville, UT and Zion NP?

Also is the route 12 scenic byway appropriate to use on the drive back to Moab with a 31ft motorhome towing a Chevy Tracker?

Cannonville to Zion Visitor Center is 95 miles. You'll be going through the tunnel and they stop traffic for big rigs to go through single file in one direction. It will be slow-going.

Panguitch to Zion Visitor Center is 75 miles and 25 miles to Bryce Visitor Center

Keep in mind that you won't be able to drive your car once you get to the Visitor Center at Zion. You need to park the car and take the shuttle.

There's also a shuttle for Bryce but it wasn't mandatory the last time we were there.

We've driven Hwy 12 many times with our 40' motorhome towing. We love it. Some don't. There's no issue for us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Bryce canyons we stayed at Ruby's and hated it. Then stayed at Bryce Canyon Pines Campground down the road, loved it and will camp there next time. There restaurant has the best Pie, definitely stop there.

For Zion we stayed out in Hurricane Utah at Willow Wind RV park. VERY nice park. All paved all sites covered in shade. Great place. Would stay there again.

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Kodachrome Basin State Park has full hookups; within 30 minutes of Bryce.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
GDC wrote:
...Can anyone comment on road / driving conditions between say Panguitch, UT and Zion NP or Cannonville, UT and Zion NP?

Also is the route 12 scenic byway appropriate to use on the drive back to Moab with a 31ft motorhome towing a Chevy Tracker?...

It has been a couple of years, but I don't recall anything particularly difficult about US-89 South from Bryce to UT-9 which is the road that goes to/through Zion. UT-9 has a tunnel with height and length restrictions. UT-9 through the park also has some steep grades and areas with narrow shoulders.

UT-12 is often discussed on this forum. There is a section with steep grade and sections with narrow shoulders, steep drop offs and no gaurd rail. Many, many RVs travel it. The good news is that there is an easy and not much longer alternative. From Bryce go North on US-89 to UT-62. Take UT-62 to Koosharem where you will turn right on Browns Lane. Browns Lane will take you to UT-24 where you will turn right to Torrey and Capitol Reef National Park. If you choose not to drive it, UT-12 is worth exploring from both ends with your Tracker.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

you missed the goosenecks?
bumpy
If you mean Goosenecks State Park, I purposely did not include it or the several other great attractions in the Monument Valley/Mexican Hat/Bluff/Blanding area, because they would be out of the way and I did not think that area was on the OPs route. One could certainly go from Zion to Moab via Page, Monument Valley, and Blanding and visit:
Monument Valley
UT-261 the Moki Dugway
Goosenecks State Park
Hovenweep National Monument
Natural Bridges National Monument
Bluff Fort
South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire
The Valley of The Gods
Sand Island Petroglyphs
Edge of the Cedars State Park
Dinosaur Museum
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

GDC
Explorer
Explorer
...X3, definitely, do not pass up Zion, even if you only have 1 day. The place is beautiful and trust me, you'll be planning a trip back....

This is what I keep hearing and the reason for the day trip. If I have to drop a location from my itinerary, Zion will be it though. My thinking on the day trip is that I can trade driving time in the toad for an longer driving time and additional camp setup and tear down with the motorhome (isn't this one reason why we bring toads?).

The heat is another reason we were thinking of staying close to Bryce. Published average annual temperatures in the Bryce Canyon area are 10-15 degrees cooler than those for Zion.

Thank you all for the Campground recomendations.

The general impression I am getting is that if I can't stay in or near one of these parks I should not go. Unfortunately We are not able to this.

I think I phrased my second question poorly so I will try again. Due to the heat issue, additional outside constraints, and the fact that for this trip, Bryce Canyon is a designated "must see" and Zion is a "nice to see since we are in the area" we will be staying in the Bryce canyon area and utilize the investment we made in a toad to do a day trip to Zion. This is not negotiable, it is what it is.

Thanks for the input
Greg

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
jensenst wrote:
I agree with 2gypies stay in springdale and ruby's

X3, definitely, do not pass up Zion, even if you only have 1 day. The place is beautiful and trust me, you'll be planning a trip back.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 2gypies stay in springdale and ruby's

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We feel you waste a lot of time and energy trying to drive back and forth between parks. It really doesn't take much to move to each area you want to explore. Plus, I'd hope you can plan on 2 or 3 days for each park. How often will you get back to them? Even doing some short trails will give you an altogether different feel of the parks rather than just skimming the top.

For Zion, there are full hookups just outside the park gate at Springdale. The free shuttle makes stops right in that small town.

For Bryce, Ruby's is the place to stay for convenience. Again, the free park shuttle stops there.

For Moab, there are many choices...just pick one. None of them are 'resorts'. It's just a place to sleep.

Use this site for finding RV parks:

Moab RV Parks

Have a great trip....and don't rush it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
GDC wrote:
Thanks 4Runnerguy
Dropping full hookup made a big difference.
Would staying in Panguitch and driving to Zion for a day in the toad make sense? We are thinking that we are more interested in Bryce but we would be so close to Zion that it would be a shame to miss it, Our plan is to start the tour in Zion/Bryce for 2-3 days then head east to Moab for a similar amount of time before meandering back home.

Most of us are of the opinion that you stay where you play. So the day trip thing is? Keep in mind that Zion has Water so it might just be fun.

Rt 128 when you leave Moab will take you right along the Colorado River - that and Rt 12 after Bryce going to Capital Reef and Goblins - just so much to see - Keep in mind it will be HOT in the summer - so you might try to plan a day or two in the Colorado Mountains before heading home. If you get to say, 8,000+ feet it is Cool and Crisp at night.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

GDC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 4Runnerguy
Dropping full hookup made a big difference.
Would staying in Panguitch and driving to Zion for a day in the toad make sense? We are thinking that we are more interested in Bryce but we would be so close to Zion that it would be a shame to miss it, Our plan is to start the tour in Zion/Bryce for 2-3 days then head east to Moab for a similar amount of time before meandering back home.