cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Treasures & Other Cool Finds

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always find somethin' cool while out roaming God's Country. How 'bout you?

Here's somethin' cool I found recently. If you lost it too bad! Finders keepers!

40 REPLIES 40

Jerry_Campbell
Explorer
Explorer
Double post

Jerry_Campbell
Explorer
Explorer
A story of trash and treasure.
Once upon a time when I was much younger I was in the mountains of northern NM. walking in the desert and came upon an area of broken glass and old tin cans. It looked like someones old garbage pile from years gone by. There was a little piece of dark colored felt sticking out of the ground. I kicked at it but it would not come out of the ground. I kicked more but no go so I dug it up to see what it was. It was an old black cowboy hat. I took it back to the place where I was staying and layed it out by the side of the house. That night it rained like crazy. The next day I happened to look at it and it had returned to it's original shape and looked great AND it fit me perfectly. When it dried out I wore it.
There was an old man who they called the ditch rider. He was in charge of maintaining the irrigation ditches for the little town. He saw me walking one day wearing the hat and came up to me and said, That's my hat, I lost that hat in a wind storm more that 40 years ago. I tried to give back to him but he wouldn't take it. He said it was my turn now.
Jerry

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
It is kind of funny how trash-dumps and graffiti from hundreds or thousands of years ago are now considered archeological and anthropological gold mines. By recycling and sandblasting our trash and graffiti are we not depriving future antiquarians life changing discoveries and book deals? 😉

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
This is another classic example of how 'common sense is not so common'.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
All this fuss over someone claiming an old discarded milk can, which certainly isn't a relic. Almost any old family dairy farm here in the east has a milk can or two laying around somewhere, either still in the barn or on the junk pile in the back woods. :R

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
darsben wrote:
Let me see a person who takes things that do not belong to them.
With the morals that state if you lose something or leave it in plain sight then I will take it and feel no remorse for you.
I will also take things that do not belong to me so others cannot have the joy of discovering it.and wondering how it got where it was and thinking about the history of it and talking with your children about it.

AS YOU SEE I OBJECT TO YOUR LACK OF CONSIDERATION OF OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

My advice return it to where it has sat for the past 50-60 years or do you need the money that bad?

Now that is funny!

OP, you had better take that garbage back where you found it. We don't want people to be picking up other peoples garbage on public land now do we. 😉

Sad that you cannot differentiate between garbage and relics.

And it is very sad that you have such an attitude.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
darsben wrote:
With the morals that state if you lose something or leave it in plain sight then I will take it and feel no remorse for you.
I will also take things that do not belong to me so others cannot have the joy of discovering it.and wondering how it got where it was and thinking about the history of it and talking with your children about it.

AS YOU SEE I OBJECT TO YOUR LACK OF CONSIDERATION OF OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

My advice return it to where it has sat for the past 50-60 years or do you need the money that bad?

Now that is funny!

OP, you had better take that garbage back where you found it. We don't want people to be picking up other peoples garbage on public land now do we. 😉

But a lot of those "relics" were the original owner's garbage. :@

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:

Gee, I'm 65. Do you mean that all my discarded Royal Crown Cola bottles and Log Cabin Syrup cans are relics? Cool!

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
darsben wrote:

Now that is funny!

Traveling with my best friend my wife!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
One time found a box of decomposing dynamite on some mine workings in NV. Didn't get very close (too unstable), nor collect it (the wooden box was cool). Alerted the local sheriff who promptly turned to a young deputy and gave him the assignment of dealing with it. The deputy got a little pale, but headed out to take care of it.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Got Dirt? wrote:
Calisdad wrote:
darsben wrote:

Now I remember why I haven't visited this site for awhile. Too many myopic views of people who are just plain me

It's a cool can. Glad you found it. I'm envious. Yes the USFS and BLM say anything over 50 years old is an artifact and should be left alone. If you've seen just one locked gate lately you know they are full of themselves and they don't play by 'the rules' either.

Bye- I'll try again next year, maybe.

Wow - hate to see you go but as a new member I'm beginning to see what you mean. I do understand where some are coming from. I don't think many have made the connection, but it was I, the OP, that authored the second post, regarding artifacts. My intention was not to create strife, but I guess that's all too late. It's done. I will continue to clean up after those that dump their **** - hell, I'm glad to be able to do it. I don't despise those that do - just shake my head and fill the truckbed.
yep,the "leave it cleaner than you found it" motto doesnt apply anymore.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Ah yes, the old artifact vs junk (garbage) theme. Kinda like the petroglyphics vs graffiti. 🙂
And throw in archeologists vs grave robbers and desecration of the dead. :?

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Calisdad wrote:
darsben wrote:

Now I remember why I haven't visited this site for awhile. Too many myopic views of people who are just plain mean.

It's a cool can. Glad you found it. I'm envious. Yes the USFS and BLM say anything over 50 years old is an artifact and should be left alone. If you've seen just one locked gate lately you know they are full of themselves and they don't play by 'the rules' either.

Wow - hate to see you go but as a new member I'm beginning to see what you mean. I do understand where some are coming from. I don't think many have made the connection, but it was I, the OP, that authored the second post, regarding artifacts. My intention was not to create strife, but I guess that's all too late. It's done. I will continue to clean up after those that dump their **** - hell, I'm glad to be able to do it. I don't despise those that do - just shake my head and fill the truckbed.

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:

Now I remember why I haven't visited this site for awhile. Too many myopic views of people who are just plain mean.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben wrote:

Now that is funny!