cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monthly Rent Wrong

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
what would you do if the rate sheet the RV park gave you last year said what the rate would be for this year and then they end up charging you a higher rate, also there are people in the park paying the rate that was advertised. The different being $26 a month. I know it won't make me are break me it is just the idea of a multimillion dollar company doing this. I have been coming to this park for 10 years.
18 REPLIES 18

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
mgh122 wrote:
FormerBoater wrote:
I would not waste my time posting about $26/month.

I would not even mention it to management for $26/month.

I cannot believe that anyone who can afford a 2013 Phaeton would even mention anything that cost them an extra $26/month.

Maybe being thrifty is how he affords his 2013 Phaeton.

Perhaps the thrifty thing but more than likely the principle of the matter, is more important.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer
FormerBoater wrote:

I cannot believe that anyone who can afford a 2013 Phaeton would even mention anything that cost them an extra $26/month.

Maybe being thrifty is how he affords his 2013 Phaeton.
Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on park rules that were in writing at the time you booked. Months in advance I booked a stay at Flying Flags in Buellton, CA. Booked and paid in advance as required at a great low rate. Months later arrived and checked in. Was told I had to pay another $100 for my stay as the rates changed since I booked. Website I booked on did have a note that stated rates may change at any time without notice. Had no choice but I tend to think its not ethical nor common in the industry. Ever book a hotel at an advertised rate then charged more at check in? I haven't.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
What did the park staff say when you questioned them about rate difference WHEN you were checking in?

Surely you were aware of the rate at check-in.

X2
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What did the park staff say when you questioned them about rate difference WHEN you were checking in?

Surely you were aware of the rate at check-in.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Stormy Eyes wrote:
You got a rate sheet last year...did you make the reservation last year when you got the sheet? I so, I would hope they would give you the rate in effect when reservation was made. Or did you wait to make the reservation? If you waited, new rates may have been in effect by the time you reserved.
This would be my thoughts also. Rate sheets come and go, same as any advertised price. Try getting an airline to honor the fare posted yesterday, much less a year ago. I would expect to pay the price that was in effect when you made the reservation, unless you were informed it would be something different. This does happen occasionally. We often have people booking a year or more in advance. Those people are always told that pricing for that stay has not yet been set. We notify them of the rate when we set it and they are free to cancel without any fees if they decide it is too much.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
You got a rate sheet last year...did you make the reservation last year when you got the sheet? I so, I would hope they would give you the rate in effect when reservation was made. Or did you wait to make the reservation? If you waited, new rates may have been in effect by the time you reserved.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If the new rate was disclosed before you agreed, and you were completely aware of it, and you accepted the terms, then you have nothing to complain about.

It is not an "unfair" or an "abusive" practice as long as the customer was fully aware before committing to the new price and contracting an agreement.

HOWEVER, if the contract was made based upon last year's prices, and the customers thought they were agreeing to last years prices, and then after agreeing, signing on, it was THEN switched to a higher price without their knowledge until their first rent came due and THEN they found out the price was raised, then the practice is "deceptive" and in violation of the Dodd-Frank Act.

The Dodd-Frank Act addresses "Unfair, Deceptive, and Abusive" business practices. If this is the case, then tell them they are in violation of the Dodd-Frank act because their practices are considered deceptive because their attempt to advertise one thing and charge something else after the contract was complete falls under the "Deceptive" section of this federal law. They will look at you with a great big "Um, What?" Look it up: "Unfair, Deceptive, and Abusive practices." But it is a federal law.

But, here again, they can advertise one thing, but as long as they fully disclose the price change before you agree, there is absolutely nothing you can do. They are completely ligit then. On the other hand, if the did a 'switch and bait' then it's a violation of the Act. If the new price rate was disclosed before agreeing to the final purchase, and NOT after, then you just have to suck-it-up, or find another campground.

I just completed a course on this for my employment. Opened my eyes.

Look up "Unfair, Deceptive, and Abusive practices" with a Google Search.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you sign a lease/contract at the lower rate? If not, then I think the only thing you can do is politely ask if they will honor the previously quoted rate. If not, really only two choices. Accept it or leave it.

I didn't see anything where you said you signed a lease, so I assume it was only a quote. Others might have made reservations back when the rates were still in force. So, not sure I see this like korbe that they voided a lease.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an asterisk on the rate sheet saying; "subject to change"?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
My FL winter park has many different rates. Some of us are grandfathered and pay a lower rate than those here for the first year. Some rent for 6 months and pay a different. Friends of the onsite owner may get a break. Teach a class and get a rate break. Etc., etc.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ask if they'll honor the rates they gave you. If not, and you're not satisfied, move on. You don't have to stay there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd have to agree that you're more likely to get satisfaction by talking to the management, than by talking to the forum. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"