cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mount Rushmore in April

BettyBoop7
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to be at Mount Rushmore around April 12 for a few days. Have been told weather could be an issue. What is there to see at that time. It appears a lot of places don't open until the middle of May. We have a class c and will be towing our car. We will have a younger couple with a nine month old with us.
11 REPLIES 11

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for campgrounds there are three in the area that I can think of that are usually open then. Try Beaver Lake and Custer's Gulch in Custer or Horse Thief in Hill City. Call ahead to see that water is on, and bath houses are open.

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Mt Rushmore is open and has a pretty, accessible trail to the base where you can take a stroller.
Custer State Park -drive wildlife loop and Needles Highway
The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs Natl, Natural Landmark -- excellent and unique
Wind Cave NP -- open, tours running
Jewel Cave Natl Mon -- open weekdays with tours running
Journey Museum in Rapid City -- regional history and geology, open daily (Sunday is afternoon only).
Badlands NP -- about 90 minutes from Mt. Rushmore. Park and visitor center open. Rangers will point out where the herds are (buffalo, bighorn sheep).
Minuteman. Missile NHS -- next door to Badlands NP

Looks like forecasted weather is highs in 50s and 60s, lows in 30s. Might change as the date gets closer. That said, spring weather is variable. It was in the 60s on Saturday and it's snowing today, forecasted a week ago. Rapid City and Badlands NP are often warmer than Mt. Rushmore due to elevation difference.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Right now they're having some snow in western SD, but in a few days things should be better. You will perhaps have cool rainy weather, or a nice spring day, be prepared for whatever. Check the rapid City Journal for weather reports and current conditions (rapidcityjournal.com). It's a little early, but you will probably be fine, I don't know of any CG's that are open where you can stay, sugggest that you visit Mt. Rushmore and the Needles Highway in the car and leave the RV somewhere convenient. Custer SP is also worth a visit, don't know if their CG is open or not.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
April is probably a bit too early. We're having a late winter here, and that probably affects SD as well.

Do NOT drive those tunnels with the RV. Just don't. Take the toad.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to Weatherbase averages by month for Hill City, SD. over the last 100 years. No snow in July and August. Less than an inch in June and September. But it can still get chilly at night. Pack accordingly.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I went there last April stay for the closing at night it is well worth it. I have been to MT. Rushmore in 1966,1977,1981,and 2013.If you talk with the Rangers they will show you the old photos of the past. The Museum is really well done. Sorry, wife said it was May 16 2013. Not April.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the movie,North by Northwest before you go.The scene where Carey Grant is shot was taken in the cafeteria which is now the bookstore.You'll recognize it immediately.We enjoyed Bear Country USA and the Cosmos.A trip to the Badlands and Wall Drug will be worth while too.We stayed at Rafter J Campground but at that time Custer State Park had no electric hookups or we would have stayed there.Do the wildlife loop at Custer and go to the visitor centers and watch the movies on the park.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Hi,

I was there in the middle of summer, and it was nice weather. Weather.com can answer any questions about the next 10 days there.

When leaving the monument, turn to the right and go about 1/4 mile. There is a small parking area, and a place to get a side shot of Washington.

Also highway 16A has 4 tunnels that line up directly with the monument. Stop at tunnel #2 or 3, they are less crowded than the other two tunnels, and take time to get a picture.

Have fun! There should be a lot of wildlife out there. During the fall, you will not see any deer or such things, as they know to hide during hunting season.

Fred.

make sure you check tunnel clearance and your rv, they are small.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
As a South Dakota native, I can tell you that it will be cold and possibly snowy at that time of the year.

Paul
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We took the bus tour of Mt. Rushmore and Crazy horse which was a good day; includes a lunch. Otherwise Rushmore is worth about an hour or two; thirty minutes to walk down the path to get closer to the monument and 1 1/2 hours in the gift shop.
Why don't they allow tourists to take away souvenir rocks from the blasting which would make the monument even more spectacular?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I was there in the middle of summer, and it was nice weather. Weather.com can answer any questions about the next 10 days there.

When leaving the monument, turn to the right and go about 1/4 mile. There is a small parking area, and a place to get a side shot of Washington.

Also highway 16A has 4 tunnels that line up directly with the monument. Stop at tunnel #2 or 3, they are less crowded than the other two tunnels, and take time to get a picture.

Have fun! There should be a lot of wildlife out there. During the fall, you will not see any deer or such things, as they know to hide during hunting season.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com