cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt. Vernon still open but her parking lots are closed

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mt. Vernon is privately owned but NPS controls the parking lots.
http://3rdeyevizion.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/read-barrycades-feds-try-to-shut-down-privately-owned-m...
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
7 REPLIES 7

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Good for somebody besides the fed.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see the owners of Mt. Vernon doing the right thing and keeping it open.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about oppressive; where did my comment go?

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if the story is reversed up at Mt Rushmore. The parking lot is "privately" owned and the monument is nps.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Having prior knowledge of what an oppressive regime was capable of, the good American patriots at Mount Vernon took a stand and removed the barry-cades. George Washington and the rest of the founding fathers must be spinning in their g=graves.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
First the NPS tried to shut down the facilities themselves but were blocked. Then they barricaded the parking lots because as you stated the NPS co-owns the lots. The owners then removed the barricades. Mt. Vernon has been entirely privately owned and operated which includes the funding for maintaining the parking areas for 150 years. NPS co-owns the lots but no federal $'s are used for their upkeep. http://www.mountvernon.org/stillopen

Good for the owners. I'm proud of them. Those 'barry-cades' should never have been placed there, especially since NPS contributes no money to the lots.:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
First the NPS tried to shut down the facilities themselves but were blocked. Then they barricaded the parking lots because as you stated the NPS co-owns the lots. The owners then removed the barricades. Mt. Vernon has been entirely privately owned and operated which includes the funding for maintaining the parking areas for 150 years. NPS co-owns the lots but no federal $'s are used for their upkeep. http://www.mountvernon.org/stillopen
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)