Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach State Parks

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Getting some upgrades....

Article

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Renovations are scheduled in 2015 for two coastal state parks: Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington State Park.

Both parks see millions of visitors every year. Myrtle Beach State Park was named the busiest state park in all of South Carolina. It is also in desperate need of some renovations.

According to Marion Edmonds with the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, the biggest project there will be upgrading the sewer system. Doing so will cost about $1 million. The other big maintenance project will be repairing and repaving the roads - to the tune of another $1 million. There are also plans to renovate a bathroom in the campground to make it more accessible for families with special needs. These bathrooms haven't been updated in about 40 years. So not only will everything look nicer, the changes will also make campers more comfortable. And finally, the park manager says more campsites will be upgraded to full-service sites to accommodate sewer lines. These renovations should get underway sometime this year.

Plans are in the works to make more space for more campers at Huntington Beach State Park as well. Ten years ago, Huntington Beach used to have maybe 50,000 visitors a year. Now, the park is topping a million a year. Despite that, Huntington Beach actually has one of the smallest campgrounds of all the beach state parks.

To help with this growing demand, the park is planning to add about 50 campsites. Each will have A 50-amp circuit to handle the power for today's bigger and better RVs. The older campsites only handle 30 amps. This is the park's biggest project. Those new sites will be built on top of where an old campsite used to be, before it was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo. So the construction won't destroy any forest or animal habitats.

"It'll actually be a little more environmentally sensitive,โ€ says Mike Walker, Huntington Beach State Park Interpreter. โ€œOne of the issues with the old campground that was there previously is that each campsite kind of had cut its own pathway to the beach, which kind of wreaked havoc on the sand dune ecosystem. At the new campground, there'll be one centralized beach access point to limit access so it doesn't damage the environment."

The campsite expansion should get started sometime this year. The total cost for all of these renovations will be about $1 million.

Huntington Beach is also renovating the current campsite bathroom to make it more accessible to anyone with disabilities. Extra sidewalks have already been added. A new family restroom with a bigger shower and more space will also be built. The bathroom renovations should be done before the busy summer season starts. The Friends of Huntington Beach support group raised the funds to build this ADA approved restroom.

Both parks are parts of the State Park Service, a major component of the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism. Therefore, the funding for the projects is a part of the overall agency budget.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
10 REPLIES 10

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to both...myrtle beach is our favorite..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Huntington Beach SP in September. Can't wait!!
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
Nice that the state is funding the upgrade, I wish more state parks would get with the times

I agree...wish NC would upgrade some of their parks...not that they are falling apart, but the fact that most do not have any hook ups...

Agree. Beside SC parks. NC parks are terrible.

X3, from a camping perspective anyway.

We only camp at one and we love it...we would at others if they had some hookups...at least electricity...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
Nice that the state is funding the upgrade, I wish more state parks would get with the times

I agree...wish NC would upgrade some of their parks...not that they are falling apart, but the fact that most do not have any hook ups...

X3, from a camping perspective anyway.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
"Each will have A 50-amp circuit to handle the power for today's bigger and better RVs" Bigger yes
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes some of the improvements are about increasing revenue. Some are to keep up with the needs of the newer campers and rv's. 50 amp, sewer, longer sites. With hundreds of thousands of visitors a year it becoming very difficult to get reservations, even for those of us instate residents. Many of these improvements are long overdue, and thanks to all of the visitors, the park system has some money to do them.

Many of our state parks are improving campsites, building new ones, mostly the very popular ones.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love both of these location and actually like Huntington Beach better. Been to both places several times over the years...

Seems like everytime they upgrade places like this then more visitor show up. All about the all mighty buck I guess...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS