cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Natl Parks & Sr Pass

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I know that we can use our Sr Pass to get in free at Natl parks. We are going to Yellowstone & Tetons for 2 weeks. I understand that we can get a pass for 7 days. Just to make sure I know what to do, I'm asking my questions. At the end of our 7 days we just need to go to an entrance & get an additional 7 day pass? There's no problem doing so? Am i understanding correctly that we can get a 7 day pass? TIA!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
31 REPLIES 31

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Senior Pass PDF

Wiki it

Senior Pass SOP

Not to spoil it but these sort of sum it up.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack the thread but wife gets her pass this month but not I .
Will the pass work for the two of us or do we both have to have one?
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
DAVES04RV wrote:
Many thank's to all of you for the forum replies regarding using a Sr. Pass in National Parks. I will be touring Yellowstone, Tetons and Rocky Mts. National Parks this Summer and have never used my recently acquired Sr. Pass. I now know how this process works.
It doesn't take long using it to find that it's the best $10 you've ever spent. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most national parks, Forest service and Corp of Engineers parks take the senior pass. It is also useful at historical locations.
Best money I spent!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
DAVES04RV wrote:
Many thank's to all of you for the forum replies regarding using a Sr. Pass in National Parks. I will be touring Yellowstone, Tetons and Rocky Mts. National Parks this Summer and have never used my recently acquired Sr. Pass. I now know how this process works.

You know you get 50% off at most COE campgrounds with your pass also? Great deal, too. We are getting a disounted price at Coulter Bay Village RV park with ours too...Not 50% but about $10 off. Every bit helps!

DAVES04RV
Explorer
Explorer
David "enjoying retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25' Classic

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using my Senior Pass for 11 years. When passing through the Park entrance station, the ranger wants to see the pass and my driver's license. If we exit the Park and later re-enter, I have to show the pass and license to get back in.

We have been to Grand Teton and Yellowstone many times and never been told to display my pass in the window of the MH.

I also show my pass and license at Park campgrounds to get the discount on camping fees.

The Senior Pass is the best deal we ever got from Uncle Sam.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
One time I stopped at a park and the ranger gave us a hanger that you could put your pass in and hang it from the mirror so it was visible. There are some parking areas that require a payment (unattended payment station) but are national land and this would keep you from getting a ticket. We saw some in Oregon/Washington.

I got a hanger with my pass and have used it in this manner several times. Other times just displayed the pass signature side up on the dash.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
One time I stopped at a park and the ranger gave us a hanger that you could put your pass in and hang it from the mirror so it was visible. There are some parking areas that require a payment (unattended payment station) but are national land and this would keep you from getting a ticket. We saw some in Oregon/Washington.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No receipt is required with the senior pass. It is a free entrance to all federal park locations.
You are suppose to hang it in the window with the provided hanger. I do not and have not had any issues.
The seven day referenced is the standard entrance pass and fee.
Have a good time!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Mama wrote:
I know that we can use our Sr Pass to get in free at Natl parks. We are going to Yellowstone & Tetons for 2 weeks. I understand that we can get a pass for 7 days. Just to make sure I know what to do, I'm asking my questions. At the end of our 7 days we just need to go to an entrance & get an additional 7 day pass? There's no problem doing so? Am i understanding correctly that we can get a 7 day pass? TIA!

If these two parks are anything like Rocky Mountain National Park, there may also be an automated gate, where one simply swipes their Senior Pass card for access. Like using a credit card, one swipe and you're in! No need to do anything further once inside. In the unlikely event that someone should ask to see your receipt (for those without a Senior Pass and entering on a per visit basis), simply show them your Senior Pass.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
You only need to show your pass when you enter the park. Once you get in, no need to go back to the entrance.

The discount at the campgrounds applies to NP operated campgrounds. It usually does not apply to concessionaire run campgrounds though some will honor it.

For those not old enough to get the SR pass, recommend the Annual Pass. Makes it so easy to go into a park and usually pays for itself after two or three parks. This is what I use and will for the next 11-1/4 years.

I have never been given a receipt when accessed with my annual pass and would suspect the same for the SR pass.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Even though the Sr Pass is good for free entry, in some parks the entrance kiosk will give you a receipt to put in your window. I think it is common to show an expiration date one week after you enter. If you stay for more than one week you can go to any ranger station within the park and get a renewal rather than returning to an entrance station (some arrive when the entry station is closed). I haven't needed it, but try asking for a 2 week date at the entrance station.
Currently Between RVs

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also get 50% off for the campground fee inside the NATL PARK.

We camp alot at LOFT MTN on SKYLINE DRIVE close by here... It has a $15 entrance fee to get on SKYLINE DRIVE and $15 a night fee for the camp site.

We usually stay five nights so it only cost $37.50 for the week.

when we leave the SKYLINE DRIVE to go get groceries or whatever we just show our pass when we come back...

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We will be staying inside both parks so do we have to go to an entrance each day?