cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Navajo Nation Attractions

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on possibly staying at the Goulding Campground within the Navajo Nation in summer of 2017, for three nights/three days.

** Plan Change *** -- Adding in a couple more nights near Mesa Verde.

I have found the below attractions and was wondering if there are others I am missing.

• Monument Valley
  • Canyon de Chelly National Monument
  • Navajo National Monument
    Keet Seel
    Betatakin Cliff Dwelling Ruins
    Inscription House Ruin
  • Goulding Trading Post

Notes:
  • We would prefer that the attractions are free or low cost
  • The group is not into long hikes or large museums. ๐Ÿ˜ž
  • We will be in the Mesa Verde area afterwards, with the plan to do the 4 corners site at that time.

thank you,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
26 REPLIES 26

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
if National bridges monument is that site with 3 arches, it was a disappointment to me after the Arches.
Everyone's likes and dislikes are different. Natural Bridges is 72 miles from Monument Valley. Arches is 163 miles.

To really experience Natural Bridges Nat'l Mon. you need to walk the trails, climb the wooden ladders. It's not a park you can appreciate from up above.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
it has been a lot of years since I went to Chaco but I wouldn't take my RV in there back then. as I remember national bridges you had to do a bit of hiking to see much.
bumpy

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Shiprock would be a cool thing to visit and I wouldn't go without seeing the Bisti Wilderness area. Both are free. Also I wouldn't miss Chaco Canyon either, but camping does cost $15 or so a night and the road in and out is dirt
Oh I forgot, north of Monument Valley is Gooseneck SP and Bluff Utah and Hovensweep.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
if National bridges monument is that site with 3 arches, it was a disappointment to me after the Arches.
Everyone's likes and dislikes are different. Natural Bridges is 72 miles from Monument Valley. Arches is 163 miles.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean three days at each area or three days for the whole thing??

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Some places perhaps a little closer to Monument Valley:
UT-261 the Moki Dugway
Goosenecks State Park
Hovenweep National Monument
Natural Bridges National Monument
Bluff Fort
South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire
The Valley of The Gods
Sand Island Petroglyphs
Edge of the Cedars State Park
Dinosaur Museum

I'm surprised that this is the first mention of the goosenecks. that would be near/at the top of my list. and if National bridges monument is that site with 3 arches, it was a disappointment to me after the Arches. Also mesa arch impressed me for the view.
bumpy

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Monument valley

Durango stay there instead of mesa verde

You can go south and see neat ruins reconstructed grand Kiva can't remember name

Montezuma Canyon by devils canyon campground...a hidden gem of a campground and undeveloped canyon of anazazi ruins

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you'll find you have enough to keep you busy for the 3 days at Goulding's.
You'll pass fairly close to 4 corners marker en route to Mesa Verde so you might as well do it ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't waste the time going to 4 corners unless it is on your route. it isn't even where 4 corners really is. a rip off.
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to do ALL that in three days? I'd whittle it down a little, not try to add more. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
4 corners