cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice from a veteran Fla. traveler

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Penny and I are making our first trip to Florida in mid-January. The only places in Fla. I really have on my bucket list are St. Augustine and the Keys. (We won't be doing the Keys this trip.)
I'd like to see places other than the touristy beach areas. She wants to set up a base camp and see sights on day trips as much as possible. I want to see as much of Old Florida as still exists; she has no special interest in going to Fla. and is going mostly because I want to.
We have reservations at Anastasia SP (to tour St. Aug) and Manatee Springs (to see manatees and cross central Florida). DW is balking at moving a third time.
After much back-and-forth, I've concluded her ideal place would be a camp under live oaks, surrounded by orange groves, near (or on) a spring, river or lake, a half-hour from a beach town with Ma and Pa stores and good seafood restaurants all stuck in a 60s time warp.:h
Ah, think James Island with Charleston and Folly Beach nearby, only in Central Florida.
So ... any suggestions?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
28 REPLIES 28

shotputguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just for info Manatee Hammock is south of Titusville on US 1. Good spot
:?Don't know how to do signature

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Queens Carriage wrote:
Just remember anything north of Orlando can be cold in January.

I'd suggest Arcadia. Put "campgrounds near Arcadia, fl" in Google Maps... lots of choices with some on the Peace River. Lots of day trips from there... Ft Myres, Captiva Island, and even Orlando.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Old town St. Augustine has lots of history and lots of shops in the downtown area. In Fort Pearce, there is the Navy Seal Museum. Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island have lots of things going on and is close to Cumberland Island National Seashore. In addition to Cape Canaveral, Titusville has the American Police Hall of Fame and Museum. Mount Dora is a nice small town with several events scheduled throughout the winter. The little town of Webster has two large Flea Markets, West Side and the Flea and Farmers Market. They are only a couple of miles apart and both open only on Mondays. Majorie Rawlins State Park is the home of the author of "The Yearling" and is near the small Historic Town of Micanopy.

These are just a few of the many great lesser known areas of Florida, Hope you have a Great Trip!!!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
If you can, make it to Micanoby. The "old town" area is very interesting.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
While in St. Augustine , visit the St. Augustine Alligator Park and Zoo.
http://www.alligatorfarm.com/
It is much more than just your old alligator park.

You could fish from one of the piers or just walk out on it and people watch.

On the Nature Coast stay at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park and visit
Homossassa Springs Park and then take a Airboat tour of the coastal area
Weeki Watchee Springs
Swim with the Manatees with "Manatees in Paradise"
Day trip to Cedar Key.

How much time do you have? We did this last year. We were going to head to another spot but we just relaxed at Rock Crusher and spread the activities out during our time there. Now I want to go back!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Explorer
Explorer
Try Facebook and type in Gail Minor Holton or click on my signature. You will not be disappointed.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember anything north of Orlando can be cold in January.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out Salt Spring recreation Area. Its a federal park with full hookups. It used to be a private cg. There is a nice spring on site and several other springs within a few miles(Juniper,Alexander are both nearby). It's only about 60 miles from St. Augustine. Nice country setting.... but cell phone coverage is poor, at best.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Clinch SP at Fernandina Beach is a possibility, stay on the river side. You have the river, a beach over on the ocean side, a historic fort, and in Fernandina several great seafood restaurants and what's purported to be the oldest tavern in Florida.
-jbh-

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anastasia is a good place to start. St. Aug is a great place to see. Drive north to Ponte Vedra and south to Flagler Beach.

Manatee Springs is a nice park but it is remote with little to see or do
How to say this. The local cultural center is Walmart.

I would change that reservation to Blue Springs State Park on the St. Johns River in Orange City. River tours boat rentals etc.
You will see more Manatee and there is tons to do,see, eat in the area.
Downtown Deland is a great old downtown.

Your wish list is hard to fill in one park.

Don't if you like space stuff. Manatee Hammock is a county park in Mims on the Intracoastal waterway. Cheap shady and close to the Space Center and water.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What the "real" Florida is for me is what Florida Tourism calls the Nature Coast. It is more like what it used to be in the 50s and 60s, today, than any other part of the state, but is nothing like the Florida of the 20's and 30's my father knew as a child.

I lived in Florida again, Orlando the year WDW opened, and in the past 40 years that part has become something quite different than it was before Disney, and most of the Central Florida attractions based on the natural Florida have either closed or been turned into amusement parks. So West Coast, north of Tampa area to Panhandle, and to the east maybe as far as Ocala.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park Crystal River FL has huge oaks, pool and short drive to beach.
In the panhandle we like Live Oak Landing RV park, Freeport, FL. Defuniak Springs is a nice little Florida town.
Salt Springs campground near Ocala is beautiful. I would make reservations for that one on www.recreation.gov
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
See FLA like a native. Google...one tank trips Florida Several local TV stations have done these over the years, and many are well done, getting you to some "Real Florida" places. Most all of the two lanes in FL are in great shape and a whole lot more scenic than the big roads. We travel them all the time and never have problems. Some marked "scenic byways" may not have good vertical clearance, best to check ahead.

Enjoy the ride...3rd gen 'tired FL Teacher ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Myakka State Park, Just outside Sarasota, will meet a lot of your needs.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006