cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neveda

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
What is there to see crossing Nv. on I80? We will leave Reno and cross to Salt Lake City.Is there anything we should see in between? We would like to travel no more than 300miles per day.
Thanks Bobby
10 REPLIES 10

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
sagebrush and rocks (i love it)

mtdew999
Explorer
Explorer
Outside Wells: Angel Lake. Ruby Mountains. Carnation Valley.
Outside Elko: Lamoille Canyon.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
elidodge@msn.com wrote:
What is there to see crossing Nv. on I80? We will leave Reno and cross to Salt Lake City.Is there anything we should see in between? We would like to travel no more than 300miles per day.
Thanks Bobby

Well there's my favorite town name in the whole USA...Lovelock...

If you really want to see the best of Nevada go across on US Rt 50 called "the Loneliest Road" and be sure to stop in Great Basin Ntl Park and see the 4000 year old Bristle-cone pines.

I80 is basically very boring across Nevada.

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 is more of a put the hammer down and make miles. Elko for basque food and the ruby mountains. Hwy 50 is a much nicer drive. Billed as Americas loneliest hwy but that's mostly Chamber of commerce hype to get the tourists. There is Great Basin National park. Take the cave tour. It is outstanding. The Nevada Northern railroad in Ely. and several small mining towns. Fort Churchhill is just a few miles south of Silver Springs.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I liked the Ruby mountains near Elko. There's forest service camping w/o hookups but as I recall many smaller or not level sites. Definitely well watered mountains with lakes and streams in high country. This would be for a summer trip.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for US 50. That's how we head across NV. Even when we were heading to OR on NV 140 north of Winnemucca, we headed west on US 6 and 50 and cut north from there. Do a search here for "Ely" or "Eureka" and you'll find lots on posts about US 50.

If you need to take I-70, Lamoille Canyon and Angel Lake in the Ruby/East Humboldt Range are both places where you won't believe you're in the deserts of NV.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going 300 miles per day you will be across Nevada quickly, it is only about 400 miles across. On I80 I could find and enjoy things in every town. My favorite is Elko Nevada. The STAR restaurant is Basque style food. There is also nearby Lamoille Canyon beautiful scenic drive.

frmAloha
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of driving the interstate, consider heading east on Hwy 50 toward the Great Basin National Park. It's called the "Loneliest" highway, but in actuality, there are a number of little towns along the way and historic stops commemorating the pony express.
Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nevada. Nothing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
That drive is the most boring mind-numbing drive I've ever done.
I wouldn't stop anywhere along there, it'll just extend the torture.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes