cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Orleans LA

boss302
Explorer
Explorer
HELP please. Going to New Orleans in a couple of weeks with a Class A motorhome. Can anyone suggest a nice RV park maybe not directly in the city but not too far out. Towing a car so that is not a issue,
Everything that I have looked at in Good Sams or other web sites the parks seem really old and run down, What I mean is that it is either it is in a bad area, you are parking on a dirt lot or the place looks run down. Want to stay 5 nights so want something a little better.
14 REPLIES 14

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
If your trip includes going onto town and the French Quarter, I'd recommend French Quarter RV. You can walk most places. Staying out of town, you will find that parking anywhere near the quarter is very expensive and hard to fond a spot.

We have used French Quarter RV and will return. It is a nice, well run park within walking distance of the Quarter. All sites are back in, so getting into your site is much easier if you arrive during the week before it fills up for the weekend.

Your plans probably should also include the use of Uber or Lyft. We walked over to sites downtown during the day, but always caught Uber over or to return after dark. Keep an eye out for the taxi if you call them, because they often have trouble finding the pickup point. Also study the routes in and out prior to arriving or departing, depending on how maneuverable your rig is.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your trip includes going onto town and the French Quarter, I'd recommend French Quarter RV. You can walk most places. Staying out of town, you will find that parking anywhere near the quarter is very expensive and hard to fond a spot.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Ponchartrain landing is a good park with large spacious sites and has a shuttle into the French Quarter for about 10 bucks a person. It was quiet and has a pleasent atmosphere with a restaurant/lounge on site too. We liked it and would stay there again.

We are Coast to Coast member and have also stayed at Abita Springs RV resort also and found it to be nice although a bit dated. Sites are adequately spacious and club house and pool to use in season. Abita Springs is an adorable little town too.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
On the north shore of Lake Pontchatrain there is two state parks Fairview Riverside State park and Fontainebleau State park.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2 for Bayou Signette State Park. Stayed there two years ago and enjoyed it.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at the KOA on the west side and its ok. The amenities are dated but you are in one of the poorest states in the union visiting a very run down city. Evrything at the KOA was clean and in working order though.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have reservations for Early July at French Quarter RV Resort. Walking distance to Bourbon ST. I've been told to uber back to the campground because it can be dicey walking back. Either way it seems the best choice for checking out the French Quarter. And if you drive in parking can be as much as $30-$40!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Reunion Lake RV Resort off of I-12, exit 47 in Ponchatoula/Robert. It's about 55 miles to the French Quarter - down I-12 to Covington and then across Lake Pontchatrain on the causeway. This campground is awesome. Super clean, quiet and all concrete sites and roads. Not the cheapest, but worth the extra costs.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
We stay at Bayou Signette State Park which is on the SW edge of the metro area. Rural setting, sites have a lot of space between them, water and electric connections, very good Wifi at every site. Very clean well maintained shower houses. The park is very well cared for and safe. From BSSP you're about a 10 minute drive into the French Quarter. It's easy to get to from I-10 by taking 310 to US 90. I don't remember the price. Something like $20/night. A real bargain for camping fee that close to a major city.
We have stayed at Fairview Riverside State Park in Madisonville on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain. A nice state park but the sites are a lot closer together than at BSSP. Fountainbleu SP is also on the north side in Mandeville. We stayed there once until we started staying at BSSP.
We also stayed at KOA West. Sites are very close together and tight. Others may like it but it's not the kind we prefer, particularly with such a nice park like BSSP available.
We stayed 1 time in another park in NOLA but I can't recall the name. Way too much city noise and traffic.
There's a couple of campgrounds next to each other in Slidel on 190 east of I-10 which aren't too bad. If it's been raining we found both of them to stand water in places.
Camped in every state

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA West of town. It was fine. We went to see New Orleans not the campground.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We have stayed at Pontchartrain Landing. It a nice RV park outside of the city but still a short drive. It is also a Pass Port America discount park. We stayed for a week on PPA discount. They also have a nice bar and restaurant on the property. They also have large pull throughs.

Pontchartrain Landing

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at a KOA in the western part of the city, they will take you to the end of the streetcar line to go down town. also stayed at the KOA in slidel, nice but bring mosquito repellant along.
bumpy

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
French Quarter RV Resort is nice, but also in the city. I know you mentioned staying further out. Walking distance to French Quarter. Also pricey, but it's right there.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Can't make a recommendation as we've never stayed in that area. Try searching for parks along the I-12 corridor, north of the city, between Slidell, Hammond, and Red Stick.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)