cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Quartzite

ntar827
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Quartzite but would like to spend 4-5 days in early February or early March.

What is the procedure for boondocking?

Where do I go to register?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Nick
11 REPLIES 11

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
If you go in mid Feb or March you will have the place to yourself. The Q seems to be losing its lustre, they have cancelled the car show and the arts and craft show which was always after the RV show. So if you can come during the RV show so you at least get the feeling how it used to be from early Dec to early March.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just look for the 70,000 square foot white circus tent, surrounded by hundreds of RV's that are surrounded by hundreds of swap meet style booths selling everything under the sun.

During the RV show run, which is January 18th thru the 26th, downtown can get pretty backed up. It is easier to enter/exit from the east or west off of I-10 as all of the 95 traffic has to flow through a single intersection that quickly becomes a choke point. We have seen it backed up both north and south for more than a mile. :S

We like to arrive on Monday and settle in over at Scadden Wash and then hit the show when it opens at 9 on Tuesday morning. By 11 the tent is beyond packed and we retreat back to our campsite and return in the mid afternoon around 3'ish and the crowds have usually thinned considerably. A couple of days and nights is about right for us but many stay for much longer. You might not want to go twice but you gotta see it at least once. :B

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
the main drag is, well, main st. :B It's just before I-10 heading south.

Just turn right onto it and you see all of Qz. in it's glory.

dmcgiffin
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Quartzsite and after reading about the RV Show I think we need to drive down from Laughlin for a couple of days. I see we can follow 95 south, then where do we go?
Doug and Cathy
2005 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme 37'
Tow Dolly with 2012 Chevy Malibu

liberty2010
Explorer
Explorer
North of town on Plamosa Rd. you will find a short term free site. Just register with the camp host right there. If they are away just go find a spot and go back later.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
You may be there with a lone coyote and snake.
So big a world, so little time to see.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Pit Stop on highway 95 sells water, propane and you can dump all for a fee. Same at the Rose RV park on Kuhen last year.

BLM lands camping areas come in two varieties - short term, free for up to two weeks, and long term, $40 for 2 weeks or $180 for the entire season. Long term gives you access to garbage stations, one dump station with two dumps and water fill up station near the dump. Busy in mid-Janaury to get to those services, can be a lengthy wait.

Quartzsite is a unique experience and can be great fun. Come ready to see lots of interesting things you never knew you needed and tons of other RVers. After the Big Tent RV/outdoor event it is kind of like someone pulled the plug - town empties quickly!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed...the best time for Quartzsite, especially for your first visit, should be mid-January. There's a lot more action going on. If you go in March you really won't get the 'feel' of Quartzsite.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to miss the RV Show by being so late. If you can, move up your arrival time.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
There are hundreds of miles of desert in the west. Make sure soil is hard. Be careful of dry wash areas. If you see someone out there great. If not I just park anyway. You will have a great time in Quartzsite. They do have some pay sites also although we never use them.They have a 24/7 dump and fresh water place north of town on 95 for fee. They also sell propane.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
At each of the BLM areas there is usually a host with a table set up and a flag or two along with a sign reading "Registration". They are usually located close to the road out in front of the camping area. Just stop by and sign in and you will get a sign to put on the rig good for 14 days and it is free.

We like Scadden Wash which is on the south side of I-10 about 2 miles east of town. If you come in from the east on I-10 take the first off ramp and turn left. Take another left at the second stop sign and just follow the road until it curls back parallel to I-10, ahead on the right about half a mile you will see the registration rig. :C