cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to RV, looking for campground in NE

pennrver
Explorer
Explorer
My family is renting a 32' Class C in August. We have never RV'ed but have always been interested. I am debating whether to tow our Minivan with the Class C, it says we can tow up to 5000 lbs. We would have to rent the tow dolly from a different place, our RV rental doesn't offer it.

Instead of towing on our first RV trip ever, I am thinking of just trying to find a destination that is accessible without a vehicle. Our first stop is Knobels in PA which has a campground next to the park.

From there, I'm looking for any recommendations. I'd like full hookups. Any places in the NE or mid atlantic or eastern OH where we can do a little exploring outside of the campground without a vehicle? Free shuttles, bus route nearby, etc. We have 3 kids all in car seats so uber isn't really an option.

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting around Montpelier with a class C should not be a big problem. The roads you'd be on are not super tight or anything. I am not aware offhand of any particularly low overhead clearances on, for instance, the bridges across the Winooski, but do pay attention to that regardless.

For a class C such as you'd have (without a towed vehicle), all you need for parking is a pair of normal spaces end-to-end. A block of four is a bit easier in terms of width but not absolutely necessary. In my experience that really isn't as hard to find as it may at first seem; you don't need a huge parking lot, just a sufficiently large space somewhere. Sometimes that just means streetside parking, even. The high school may be a good bet unless something else happens to be going on there. In back of Christ Episcopal Church (64 State Street) or the bank next door (100 State Street) also looks rather promising; it appears to be a pretty big shared lot.

More as general parking advice than specific to Montpelier: don't be afraid to take your time maneuvering into and out of parking spaces, and it's okay to get out and look (many times if needed) and/or have someone watching and directing you. Keep in mind that the tail of the motorhome will swing out as you turn, and also that the pivot point is farther back than on a car (so the front needs to be a bit further along before you start to turn). It's also a good idea to plan for one's departure before parking or entering a gas station or whatever, if at all possible. I like to avoid having to back up, if there's a practical way to manage that.

From Lake George, it'll probably take about three hours to get to Montpelier. There are plenty of other neat things to see and do in Vermont if you're interested. (I am, of course, completely and totally unbiased when it comes to my home state. :B)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's any help, you won't be seeing the state capital of Mass either.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pennrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and info on the bus at Lake Glory. After our Knobels, we are going to head up to Lake George.

A follow up question:
My family wants to visit all the state capitals. We will try to hit Montpelier, VT while up near Lake George. Driving this RV in to town, looking at the google view there doesn't seem to be any place to park it.

There is a high school nearby, since school is out of session it should be empty. Any advise on this type of stuff? Getting an RV in to a small town and finding parking? There is no wal mart or big shopping area within walking distance to the state capital. The high school is less than a mile, fairly easy walk.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've stayed at Lake Glory for Knoebels. The shuttle bus (an old school bus when I was there) made a total of four round trips at set times during the day. Yes, it was reliable, give or take a couple of minutes.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Couple more options for you. There are several RV parks in the Lake George area. Main one is LG RV Park. Next is Ledgeview. Moose Hillock bit further down the same road. Are some along Rte 9, never stayed at them, but IMO, look iffy. Just up the road In Warrensburg, there are 2. LG Escape and cannot remember name of the other one, but it's of Rte 9 I think. Alpine Lake campground is west of LG.

At this point in the season, I would think that LG RV Resort Park and Moose Hillock would be allowing folks to stay just a couple days w/o having to book a whole week.

In Lake Placid, you have 2. A KOA and North Pole Campground (gets high marks from everyone).

Another option is: West Canada Creek Campsites in Poland (just north of Utica on Rte 8). Pool, tubing, canoeing, kayaking on river. 45 min to an hour to Old Forge water park.

Check out their websites. As for 1st time in an RV, I wouldn't tow a car until you feel comfy driving the RV itself. Lots of things you have to be aware of till you get the hang of it.

I've been to most the campgrounds I mentioned except the ones in Lake Placid.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try Clute Park in Watkins Glen instead of the KOA. Walking distance to the downtown attractions, right across the street for a park for the kids. Walmart next door. If there's a race at The Glen, the KOA is loud.

Form there grab I-86 and I-88 to Albany. Check out Arrowhead RV park and Marina in Schenectady, right on the Mohawk river.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it's a hassle including limited parking and add that to 3 small children.

Have you considered driving the MH and family car since this is a one time trip? This would add a lot of flexibility.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pennrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for the replies. Some good thoughts here.

Yes, this is our first RV trip. I think based on the feedback and thinking about it, I am not going to tow. The rental car is an interesting idea, but installing/removing three car seats gets old after a while... especially in the back of a sedan.

I am leaning toward either finding a campsite with plenty to do or a walk/bike trail, or using the class C to get around a little bit.

At Knobels, we are at lake glory for a couple of days and they have a shuttle to the park, so that isn't a problem. Speaking of which, has anyone used the shuttle? How reliable is it?

I am thinking of going to watkins glen after that. The state park doesn't have any full hookups which we are looking for. There is a KOA down the road but we would have to drive our Class C in to town... but I think that is what we will do.

From watkins glen, I am trying to figure out where to go next. Lake george rv park up north of albany looks nice, but according to their website you need to book a full week in the summer... we are only looking for 2-3 nights. Old forge is also sold out (according to the website).

Any other recommendations of places around the finger lakes, rochester/syracuse, watertown, up state new york? Prefer a campground/resort with stuff to do for the kids.

Also keep in mind I am a first timer, is disconnecting the motorhome to take it somewhere and coming back later in the day a big hassle?

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Old Forge NY- campground has a shuttle or you can walk to Enchanted forest/Water Safari. Did this last year, son was 3 and water rides have a lot of options for the little ones. If you go, plan on going after 3 pm because then you get to go the next day 'free'.

Kneobles reopened yesterday, we usually stay at their off site campground, Lake Glory, which also has a shuttle to the park.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
The class c will work fine for going places. Its nice to have all your stuff with you instead of renting a car and loading the car for the day. If you have experience driving a full sized pickup after a little practice the class c will be easy to handle. If you are not comfortable then rent the car but we traveled many a mile with our class c and kids and no toad. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the riders interest drive to Cape Cod to the tip. Spend a little time in Provincetown. Have lobster right out of the ocean in Bar Harbor. If you have some extra money take the Ferry over to Martha's Vineyard and rent mopeds to tour the island or take the tour.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
or stay at Normandy Farms and take the tour bus around Boston. DO NOT try to drive anything around Boston especially a Class C!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I think most are overlooking several items in the OP's initial post.
New to RV'ing.
Renting a 32 class c
Towing with the C
No idea if OP has a driver with experience driving a vehicle that size, but new to RV ing gives a clue to this being a new experience. I would suggest not taxing a new driver with a toad as well as the motorhome. This is supposed to be a vacation for all, Use a rental as needed and keep the highway travel as stress free as possible. With Enterprise and others being willing to pick you up, pre plan for the days you want to use them and schedule ahead. They are pretty good about being on time when they have notice. And chances are, renting the dolly for a week or however many days it would be needed is going to cost a large percentage of what the rental car may cost for the couple of days you would need it.

I really would suggest you make this first foray into rv travel as simple and enjoyable for all as you can.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
You can always call Enterprise and rent a car from them. They will bring it to you.

Iโ€™ve rented from Enterprise a dozen times or more.

They never delivered a car to me. They pick you up and take you to the lot.

Usually timely but I had to wait over an hour a few times.

If you're planning to rent a vehicle and have two drivers available, you could also drop off a driver to get the rental car while on the way to the campground and have the other drive the motorhome there. It's not like a class C (or other) motorhome is a completely impossible vehicle to run errands with en route...or, for that matter, otherwise once at a destination, though disconnecting and stowing stuff can be a pain depending on how thoroughly you set up camp.